Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

FICO in consideration with all of its attorneys provides up to 5 codes to the lender, one of which may be inquiries, according to fico slides. So apparently the lender can choose to leave one off many times, or more. Sometimes a profile may only generate 2 codes and then they would only have 2 to provide. 

Message 381 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

They also recommend that lenders not change the wording of the codes without checking with legal, as they were very carefully worded to pass legal muster.
Message 382 of 926
Wapsi374

I have a data point I'd like to share. I applied for the max cash preferred through my local bank and was instantly approved for a whopping $500 CL. I called the underwriting line the following day when they opened and the lady said she had to send a request for manual review which would initiate another hard pull so I declined. She told me that no relationship with the bank was probably the reason for the $500 CL even though "your credit looks great." She said the system may give an automatic CL increase after a few months of ontime payments. Fico scores in the 750-770 range and only one new account (Freedom Flex) a week ago so 1/6 and 1/12.. Elan pulled TU which was my cleanest score and didn't show the CFF credit pull or account (0/12). Income $100,000. Average age: 2.4 years, Oldest account: 3.5 years. This is my first post on the forums; hopefully this makes sense and is appropriate to post here.

Tip: Apply during business hours so you can call the underwriting team immediately before formally accepting the offer. Consider having a relationship with the bank.

Message 383 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wapsi374 wrote:

I have a data point I'd like to share. I applied for the max cash preferred through my local bank and was instantly approved for a whopping $500 CL. I called the underwriting line the following day when they opened and the lady said she had to send a request for manual review which would initiate another hard pull so I declined. She told me that no relationship with the bank was probably the reason for the $500 CL even though "your credit looks great." She said the system may give an automatic CL increase after a few months of ontime payments. Fico scores in the 750-770 range and only one new account (Freedom Flex) a week ago so 1/6 and 1/12.. Elan pulled TU which was my cleanest score and didn't show the CFF credit pull or account (0/12). Income $100,000. Average age: 2.4 years, Oldest account: 3.5 years. This is my first post on the forums; hopefully this makes sense and is appropriate to post here.

Tip: Apply during business hours so you can call the underwriting team immediately before formally accepting the offer. Consider having a relationship with the bank.

@Wapsi374 welcome to the forum, thank you for sharing your data points and we look forward to many more posts from you! Yes where you posted is just fine and you did great!

May I ask a few questions? First you said you applied at your local bank? I'm assuming in person? and if you did, did you fill out the form or did they? The reason I ask is because of the ambiguous question in the online form that, if answered by the bank, may not be answered in the same way you would answer.

if they did fill it out, then that would argue that if you apply in branch, having a relationship is likely more beneficial. But, i'm not sure the same conclusion would apply to an online application is what I'm wondering. An online application may be better. 

I definitely think its great advice to a apply during business hours, so you can call and speak to a credit analyst, if necessary for reconsideration.

as a matter fact, @Wapsi374 , I would highly recommend you call in and speak to a different credit analyst and see if you can possibly get it bumped up without another hard pull. They can do it. As I have had SP CLIs from them before in the past and yours is more justified, being a review of initial application. I will admit they are a tough nut to crack and don't think it'll be easy, But I think it's worth a try. 

And as a last resort, a hard pull isn't that many points and it's unscoreable in 365 days, so you might consider doing that if required because you would probably get a decent CLI if everything else is in order as stated. Might I ask how many accounts you have total? How many bankcards?

Message 384 of 926
Wapsi374

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wapsi374 wrote:

@Wapsi374 welcome to the forum, thank you for sharing your data points and we look forward to many more posts from you! Yes where you posted is just fine and you did great!

May I ask a few questions? First you said you applied at your local bank? I'm assuming in person? and if you did, did you fill out the form or did they? The reason I ask is because of the ambiguous question in the online form that, if answered by the bank, may not be answered in the same way you would answer.

if they did fill it out, then that would argue that if you apply in branch, having a relationship is likely more beneficial. But, i'm not sure the same conclusion would apply to an online application is what I'm wondering. An online application may be better. 

I definitely think its great advice to a apply during business hours, so you can call and speak to a credit analyst, if necessary for reconsideration.

as a matter fact, @Wapsi374 , I would highly recommend you call in and speak to a different credit analyst and see if you can possibly get it bumped up without another hard pull. They can do it. As I have had SP CLIs from them before in the past and yours is more justified, being a review of initial application. I will admit they are a tough nut to crack and don't think it'll be easy, But I think it's worth a try. 

And as a last resort, a hard pull isn't that many points and it's unscoreable in 365 days, so you might consider doing that if required because you would probably get a decent CLI if everything else is in order as stated. Might I ask how many accounts you have total? How many bankcards?

To clarify, I did not apply in person. I applied through my local bank's website. For the ambiguous question, I put $0 since I don't have any accounts with them. As for accounts - 6 open and 3 closed. 4 of the open accounts are cards (Discover, Amex, Capital One, local credit union) and 2 are student loans. The 3 closed accounts are student loans. I applied for the Freedom Flex about a week ago, was accepted with a $16,000 CL but the account is not reporting yet, as I understand. I will try calling again to inquire about a SP CLI.

Perhaps I should have listed the balances of my own checking/savings accounts rather than write $0.

EDIT: I spoke with another credit analyst and was told there are "no exceptions" for obtaining a CLI without a HP. Should I just go ahead and initiate the HP, or wait a couple weeks/months? I plan on using this for utilities/internet for the 5% back which would at most be $300/month. But I would want the CLI eventually for furniture (plan on buying a house in a year or two).

Message 385 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wapsi374 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wapsi374 wrote:

To clarify, I did not apply in person. I applied through my local bank's website. For the ambiguous question, I put $0 since I don't have any accounts with them. As for accounts - 6 open and 3 closed. 4 of the open accounts are cards (Discover, Amex, Capital One, local credit union) and 2 are student loans. The 3 closed accounts are student loans. I applied for the Freedom Flex about a week ago, was accepted with a $16,000 CL but the account is not reporting yet, as I understand. I will try calling again to inquire about a SP CLI.

Perhaps I should have listed the balances of my own checking/savings accounts rather than write $0.

EDIT: I spoke with another credit analyst and was told there are "no exceptions" for obtaining a CLI without a HP. Should I just go ahead and initiate the HP, or wait a couple weeks/months? I plan on using this for utilities/internet for the 5% back which would at most be $300/month. But I would want the CLI eventually for furniture (plan on buying a house in a year or two).

@Wapsi374 sounds like you've got a pretty good mix going on and with these two cards at it you should have a solid mix. Yes I think you would've done much better had you answer that question differently.

Yes they will tell you there's no exceptions and there rarely are, but every now and then you get lucky so it can't hurt to try.

As to whether or not to try hard pull now or show a little spend, well if you do it now they won't see the new account, if you wait they'll see a little payment history and also the new account. Positive and negative.  I think you'll succeed either way, but I'm torn between which may work better. 

maybe some other members can chime in?

Message 386 of 926
Beast26
Established Contributor

Does that mean all CLI for this card are a HP or was it just because you recently got the card?

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 387 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

There’s typically always a hard pull with Elan, but every now and then you can get away with an SP, but it’s rare. Sometimes there are auto CLIs, but I haven’t seen one.
Message 388 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wapsi374 how many inquiries scoreable do you have on each bureau?  Because if it's not a lot again, they only cost points for 365 days so could go ahead and get it out-of-the-way.

Plus you might get a decent increase considering you're letting them know you can't do anything with a $500 credit line. explain you want to be able to put spend on it and that that's just not sufficient. If you don't have a large number of inquiries then I think I would go ahead and do it after thinking about it. 

I mean I would try to get it done without a hard inquiry, but I think I would spend it if I have to because I think it will benefit you. And then your clock starts for your next one, rather than waiting to start the clock till later on.

I don't know what your other credit lines are, but if this isn't in the ballpark with your others then yeah I think I would go for it. JMHO. 

Message 389 of 926
Wapsi374

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wapsi374 how many inquiries scoreable do you have on each bureau?  Because if it's not a lot again, they only cost points for 365 days so could go ahead and get it out-of-the-way.

Plus you might get a decent increase considering you're letting them know you can't do anything with a $500 credit line. explain you want to be able to put spend on it and that that's just not sufficient. If you don't have a large number of inquiries then I think I would go ahead and do it after thinking about it. 

I mean I would try to get it done without a hard inquiry, but I think I would spend it if I have to because I think it will benefit you. And then your clock starts for your next one, rather than waiting to start the clock till later on.

I don't know what your other credit lines are, but if this isn't in the ballpark with your others then yeah I think I would go for it. JMHO. 

Scoreable, meaning less than 1 year old? If so, currently:

TU: 1

EQ: 1

EX: 2 or 3, one of them being a student loan

I think I'm just going to go for it and get it out of the way.

Message 390 of 926
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.