Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing Moment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Embarrassing Moment

So, today we went to a research conference in Pittsburgh (my home graduate school is in NYC, but I do travel a lot for conferences).

As usual, I walked into a Dunkin Donuts to get a XL black coffee (yes, I don't like Starbucks Smiley Tongue)

swiped my Arrival+, declined!

then tried my ML American Express, declined!

(felt like I have poor credit already atm and the line is very very long)

then I tried my British Airways, declined!

(I only bought 3 credit cards with me today and other than that in my wallet there only exist couple two dollar bills that has been in there since middle school)

(also, the cashier and those probably undergraduates are obviously annoyed or ... just amused haha)

I gave up the coffee and walked out ...

Anybody experienced something like that before? I guess I should have bought more cash ... and of course with no disappointment - I received 2 fraud alerts emails right away from Chase and Barclay's after like 1 minute I walked out of DD ...

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Embarrassing Moment

@Anonymous wrote:

So, today we went to a research conference in Pittsburgh (my home graduate school is in NYC, but I do travel a lot for conferences).

As usual, I walked into a Dunkin Donuts to get a XL black coffee (yes, I don't like Starbucks Smiley Tongue)

swiped my Arrival+, declined!

then tried my ML American Express, declined!

(felt like I have poor credit already atm and the line is very very long)

then I tried my British Airways, declined!

(I only bought 3 credit cards with me today and other than that in my wallet there only exist couple two dollar bills that has been in there since middle school)

(also, the cashier and those probably undergraduates are obviously annoyed or ... just amused haha)

I gave up the coffee and walked out ...

Anybody experienced something like that before? I guess I should have bought more cash ... and of course with no disappointment - I received 2 fraud alerts emails right away from Chase and Barclay's after like 1 minute I walked out of DD ...

WhatSmiley Surprised?  Ummm no.. I'd have been really pissed after 2 card declines..  

Message 2 of 37
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I had discover decline a $300 dollar purchase at s rite aid before and was my only CC at the time ;( it was fraud protection 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain. I went to IKEA, loaded up a full cart and was declined by amex prg, and capone qs. Luckily I had my debit though
Message 4 of 37
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I would be so pissed

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I feel your pain. I went to IKEA, loaded up a full cart and was declined by amex prg, and capone qs. Luckily I had my debit though

Must be lots of cash back dollars that you missed by using a debit card! Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 37
jim44
Established Contributor

I can relate to sort of......... used my debit card (as credit) at a drugstore and it was declined and then later at the CU atm... also declined. Immediately after the attempted ATM transaction, I recieved a text from the CU about my card number had been compromised. I'm glad they are looking out for me however I never understand why the bank/CU waits until after you attempt (and they decline the transaction) to let you know about the fraud/theft.

Message 7 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

wow 3 with 3 different banks for under $5!

I have had amex shut off 4 cards related to the same account before but never multiple banks all declining at same time!

I would have found it funny until I got declined by the 3rd and last card I had on me like you... wow!

Message 8 of 37
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

When I travel I always carry at least 7 CCs and at least two debit cards. I have a $20 in a pocket on my belt and I always have at least $100 in cash. I also have about $20 worth of change in my Truck's console for good measure.

Message 9 of 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I would be very upset and embarrased and take some time later that day and have alittle talk with  those lenders..  Not like you are out of country.. Guess you could of gave them a heads up on traveling, but within the us that really isn't typically an issue at least for me.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.