Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency cash while traveling?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Emergency cash while traveling?

At least one of my cards offers emergency assistance while traveling. My understanding is that this would be along the lines of access to a few thousand dollars in local currency if you lost your wallet. Is this correct?

Has anyone ever used this? Does it just code as a cash advance? I'm guessing it wouldn't count against you like a normal cash advance might. Any experience?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Emergency cash while traveling?

There would be a cash advance fee, if you take a cash advance. 
There are bank contacts who can work in your behalf to contact known vendors for support and then bill your card for the services. 

But if you are in a foreign country and need a reliable contact to provide financial resources and reliable local contacts to get you out of a jam, what is that worth to you?

You would be expected to pay all this off, of course, but having the "travel emergency support" is part of the benefits of the card. Using those benefits would not be held against you.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 21
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

American Express has an emergency cash feature on their charge cards.  You have to call customer service and explain your situation.  Then they give you a special code to input into the ATM.  They saved my butt ten years ago in South America, and that was using the old Green Card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

American Express has an emergency cash feature on their charge cards.  You have to call customer service and explain your situation.  Then they give you a special code to input into the ATM.  They saved my butt ten years ago in South America, and that was using the old Green Card.

@UpperNwGuy, Great Story!   ..

Just think ..if you would have left home without it?

Message 4 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

At least one of my cards offers emergency assistance while traveling. My understanding is that this would be along the lines of access to a few thousand dollars in local currency if you lost your wallet. Is this correct?

Has anyone ever used this? Does it just code as a cash advance? I'm guessing it wouldn't count against you like a normal cash advance might. Any experience?

@Anonymous, Just a Thought, When I travel far (which is not to often)

I carry an extra Visa Card with no FTF and a Charles Schwab ATM card both seperate from my wallet.

Even a couple of Folded Checks.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all. I've been curious about this for a while.

I do carry backups, and backups for the backups, when I travel.

Message 6 of 21
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Open a Schwab checking or SoFi cash account. They offer fee-free international ATM withdrawals (plus they usually have the best exchange rates, since it is direct from the bank). I never had to carry much cash ever since I got their debit ATM cards.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last year while on Antigua we needed cash.  We were in English Harbor, where there is only 1 ATM.  None of the debit cards for the 5 checking accounts that my husband and I have would work in the ATM.  After trying several credit cards as well, we were able to both get cash advances-me from my NFCU Flagship and him from his USAA card.  When we were hom from our trip a week later, we both called the banks explained the situation.  They both waived the cash advance fee and associated interest as we made immediate payments in full.

Message 8 of 21
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Open a Schwab checking or SoFi cash account. They offer fee-free international ATM withdrawals (plus they usually have the best exchange rates, since it is direct from the bank). I never had to carry much cash ever since I got their debit ATM cards.

The same goes for a Fidelity Cash Management Account debit card (which, coincidentally, is a place you can deposit cashback from a Fidelity Visa Signature).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Emergency cash" is a cash advance, so its bound by your cash limit. The cash and fees are billed to the card immediately,  no grace period. Other services, like roadside assistance or referrals, are also billed to the card, but as a purchase not cash.

I haven't used the emergency assistance, but I use the concierge on a regular basis, works the same way too.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.