Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

tag
jg1983
Regular Contributor

Re: Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

Just got a letter from NFCU saying my Equifax score is 588. I just checked and it is actually 629. First of all I am wondering why they have a lower score than what I am seeing. Secondly I am wondering if the 629 score versus the 588 score would make enough difference to approve me.
Message 71 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am assuming that being a credit union they pulled a fico from equifax itself which is different from fico 8 (which I assume you have).  Best of luck

Message 72 of 75
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

NFCU doesn't use FICO08 - they use an older score model, that's why here is such a difference
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 73 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear you are in this situation, OP. I'd suggest carpooling or using Uber to get back and forth to work as well as for your other needs, and just junking this car. The car sounds like an endless money pit.

You may also wish to consider moving closer to your job if transportation is a serious issue. Driving 140 miles per day just for work would be hard on any car. That's almost 40,000 miles per year just driving to work (and not including other driving).

Message 74 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP this is a tough situation and you have plenty of folks offering suggestions so I guess I will add to that.  I was in a tough situation years ago where the engine failed on my truck, I was out of work on disability and owed more on the truck than it was worth in non-running condition.  What I ended up doing was shoping aroung to find a new/rebuilt engine from GM (it was a GM truck) and then I found a small independent shop and asked them what they would charge to do the labor if I arranged for every part they needed to be delivered.  I don't recall what the total was but I do recall that it was 3k less than the dealership wanted to do the very same thing because they marked up the engine and had high labor costs.  Personally I would do look closely into going this route.  I agree that getting a engine from a wrecking yard has risk because they warranty the part but not the labor so if the engine has an issue you are out quite a bit of money.  

I wish you the best in this tough situation, you will make it through.

Message 75 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.