Did you mean: 

Emirates Skywards WEMC Launch

tag
aludian
Established Member

Emirates Skywards WEMC Launch

Official Site:

Emirates Skywards World Elite Mastercard 

The Emirates World Elite Mastercard just launched last night. There are two versions of the card, a $99 annual fee, and a $499 annual fee. It is interesting as each card grants either Silver or Gold Tier Emirates status. The status can be earned each year by meeting a $20,000 spending requirement for Silver and $40,000 for Gold. The points earnings on each card is the same.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Emirates Skywards WEMC Launch

@aludian wrote:

Official Site:

The Emirates World Elite Mastercard just launched last night. There are two versions of the card, a $99 annual fee, and a $499 annual fee. It is interesting as each card grants either Silver or Gold Tier Emirates status. The status can be earned each year by meeting a $20,000 spending requirement for Silver and $40,000 for Gold. The points earnings on each card is the same.

DoC isn't impressed! (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-launches-two-emirates-cobranded-cards/)

Their verdict:

The main selling point of these cards seems to be the elite status. If you’re flying enough for this status to actually be useful chances are you already have it from flying so much. The $499 annual fee on the premium rewards card is ridiculous, especially considering you need to spend $40,000 annually to keep status on the card and the fact that earning rates are low across the board. Both cards seem dead on arrival to me, although I guess if they decide to offer higher sign up bonuses in the future they might be worth considering.

Message 2 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Interesting and selling status outright with an AF credit card is a bit of a new one for the airline industry.   In practice, not sure just how valuable that would be for many flyers.   Emirates is not an alliance member, and I am not aware of any partner airlines (such as Alaska) giving reciprocal elite benefits, only mileage earning.

Due to the distances involved with flying Emirates from North America, obtaining status with them can be done with only a handful of flights in many cases but I suppose as a head start on status it could be good.

Message 3 of 9
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

Is this US only, or is this credit card available around the world? I didn't see any indication either way, but maybe I missed something. To me, this makes a big difference. In no realm would this interest an American, but we are spoiled with what we have available. Most of the world does not have the generous credit card benefits we enjoy, so maybe this Emirates credit card would have some appeal outside the US.

As an example of the difference between US credit cards and non US credit cards, I saw mentioned on Reddit that if the Apple Card comes to Canada, it would  be pretty much the best cash back credit card available in Canada. And Americans say (about the Apple Card), "How cute!"

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 4 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

This one is US only.  Emirates does offer cards in other markets including one from Emirates NBD who offer the Marriott Card that used to be the Starwood MasterCard I really wanted.

Message 5 of 9
Boragard
Established Contributor

I can't afford Emirates anyway Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 9
sammydavidjr
Regular Contributor

Unless one is interested in status (not sure what you get from Emirates status), the card is close to useless. The rewards of CSR, US Altitude Reserve, Citi Prestige and Amex Platinum beat this card hands down.

The value of status is a very personal calculation, but I'm curious about the price of the status. Some airlines already sell status extensions: Lufthansa will renew Senator status for EUR 2000 (one year).
Assuming a person does spend $40,000/year, this card gives gold status with $499 plus the rewards differential on the $40k spend. Assuming an Emirates mile is worth $0.012 (source: TPG), the rewards differential is probably around $300 (depending on how much one spends on bonus categories) when compared to a free 2% cashback card. That would make the total, nominal price of the status about $800/year. It's actually not too bad.
That being said, I think the use case for this card is very limited: maybe someone who flies to India a lot via Dubai on deeply discounted economy class tickets might benefit from the status and the free seat reservation in economy class. For everyone else -- even frequent Emirates fliers -- a Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum probably offers better value.

Message 7 of 9
Dawggie14
Regular Contributor

Soo tempted by this! Tacking the sign-up bonus to the 1:1 Amex Membership Rewards transfer to Skyward points contributes greatly to the appeal. I've flown to Greece and Milan on Emirates and I used Skyward points to upgrade to first class. No way I could have afforded it otherwise! So this may be one of those cards you keep in the first year alone.

Message 8 of 9
SifiUSa
Valued Member

Just to give my input about Skyward from Emirates. In my opinion one of the best airlines in the world! The credit card by itself is not the best for the annual fee but for the frequent flyer with them is maybe worthy. When you fly with them you can use this time to enjoy some advantages they may offer to you. Before Covid-19 as Gold status, it was very often that I received a free upgrade in business class for free. ( Once I get the A-380 ! a unique experience!) The lounge in Dubay, Paris, JNB, or Dfw is fantastique! the foods, the shower, and many more are like being in a 6 stars Hotel for a couple of hours. I used to do an extended stay between my connection and traveling outside Dubai for 6 hrs and enjoy the Gold souk or the beach. I never purchase anything else than the economy and getting qualified for Silver and even gold status. It was a great experience. Today it's different but again if you are traveling in African, Asia, Middle East, or even in Europe and you have free time and no rush to go where you want to be go for it even just for one year! The annual fee is worth compared to the benefits, you will enjoy!

@aludian wrote:

Official Site:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.