Did you mean: 

Escaping Capitol One

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Escaping Capitol One

@JonStur wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Why is everyone closing their cards? If its unsecured and there's no annual fee...I'd keep it open. It will help with UTL and AAoA. CAP1 is my oldest tradeline and although I don't particularly like the card anymore, it helped me get my foot in the door and on to better cards. I won't be using it anymore. It has served its purpose but I definitely won't be closing it.

+1000 Unless there is some outrageous AF, keep it open especially if you have a thin credit file. Also, there might not be a large credit line but it still will help your overall utilization. It is up to you but I would suggest closing your card for business not emotional reasons.

It purely business, I am just more or less pissed with them atm.  Its a 3k secured card that i have had for years and has af. my AAofa will not take to much damage .I will stll have 12 active tradelines with this account closed. Utl is not a concern it at 1% atm and  it not going anywhere. I have no need to use my existing credit lines besides just showing activity.  

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 21 of 41
JonStur
Established Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Why is everyone closing their cards? If its unsecured and there's no annual fee...I'd keep it open. It will help with UTL and AAoA. CAP1 is my oldest tradeline and although I don't particularly like the card anymore, it helped me get my foot in the door and on to better cards. I won't be using it anymore. It has served its purpose but I definitely won't be closing it.

+1000 Unless there is some outrageous AF, keep it open especially if you have a thin credit file. Also, there might not be a large credit line but it still will help your overall utilization. It is up to you but I would suggest closing your card for business not emotional reasons.

It purely business, I am just more or less pissed with them atm.  Its a 3k secured card that i have had for years and has af. my AAofa will not take to much damage .I will stll have 12 active tradelines with this account closed. Utl is not a concern it at 1% atm and  it not going anywhere. I have no need to use my existing credit lines besides just showing activity.  

Way to go!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 22 of 41
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

If I'm new to credit would Cap 1 be a good idea, or should I just stay away from it all together

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 23 of 41
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Congrats to OP..

I thought closed card continue to be calculated in AAoA until it falls off of credit report. Can someone clarify this?

Thx!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 24 of 41
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

@ Sitori, IF you are new to credit they can be a great credit builder, just dont expect too much growth with them....

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 25 of 41
beb86
Valued Contributor

congrats CAP 1 can be a bear if you expect too much out of them 

Message 26 of 41
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Congrats to OP..

I thought closed card continue to be calculated in AAoA until it falls off of credit report. Can someone clarify this?

Thx!

The age of the account is factored into your AAoA even if the account reports closed. But it will not factor into your overall UTL b/c the credit is no longer available.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 27 of 41
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

That's what I thought. A couple of the posters were saying that closing their card would impact their AAoA, but that would not happen until 10 years from now.

The only downside to closing a cc would be the effect of utilization.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 28 of 41
jwduke
Regular Contributor

I closed my Capital One account ($1250 CL), 22.9% interest rate, and a $36 AF. I asked for a CLI, no go, so it was paid off, and I closed it. The CSR didn't even try to get me to keep from closing it. I received notice yesterday that Cap 1 was closing my HSBC card for non use ($1100 CL, & 22.9% IR).....Oh well!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 41
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jwduke wrote:

I closed my Capital One account ($1250 CL), 22.9% interest rate, and a $36 AF. I asked for a CLI, no go, so it was paid off, and I closed it. The CSR didn't even try to get me to keep from closing it. I received notice yesterday that Cap 1 was closing my HSBC card for non use ($1100 CL, & 22.9% IR).....Oh well!

How long had you had the card and not used it? I ask b/c I have a Cap1 card I no longer use...lol.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.