cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever been denied a legitimate dispute request?

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ever been denied a legitimate dispute request?

Had a detailer melt the paint on my car bumper using an orbital buffer (they claimed it was a "hand wax" but I heard the machine).  The owner would not respond to my complaint so I disputed the charge on my Chase Freedom due to dissatisfaction with the quality.  Chase said they could not proceed with the dispute (I don't understand why) but they gave me a partial refund as a goodwill gesture.  Meanwhile, the business owner threatened to sue me for disputing the charge when he finally called.  I never did get the car repaired (would have cost $600 to repaint the whole thing), and the ownership of the car wash appeared to change a few years later.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I NEVER use a debit card for anything other than withdrawing cash. Too risky. I use a credit card and I don't care what Dave Ramsey says about it. lol   Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 25
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I NEVER use a debit card for anything other than withdrawing cash. Too risky. I use a credit card and I don't care what Dave Ramsey says about it. lol   Smiley Very Happy

Exactly. I use cc for all purchases in the event I ever am compromised or have to dispute a charge.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that credit cards are much safer than debit cards. I don't even carry my debit card in my wallet, in case it is stolen.  

However, not everyone is in a position to have a credit card.  There was a time when I was not.

Message 14 of 25
j615
Regular Contributor

Interesting responses. One of the reasons why I posted this thread is because I'm contemplating and weighing out the pros and cons on using Amex more when I buy or order stuff as I've heard they're usually more in favor of the card member. The downside is that I'll get less rewards back vs using my other cards.
Message 15 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@j615 wrote:
Interesting responses. One of the reasons why I posted this thread is because I'm contemplating and weighing out the pros and cons on using Amex more when I buy or order stuff as I've heard they're usually more in favor of the card member. The downside is that I'll get less rewards back vs using my other cards.

I wonder if this is another feature of Amex that is no longer as true as it used to be.  On the Amex forum, there are several reports of Amex siding with the merchant "for no good reason"   As with AA, we are only getting one side of the story, but there are quite a few over time.

I would certainly use Amex for high-value stuff where you have some concern, but I would go for increased rewards on other stuff.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing guys ^^

Well right now I am having a crappy time with a dispute. I returned a laptop to a vendor and he is saying he received another item! I sent in proof of tracking and the weight matches the vendor's website exactly and they won't side with me still. They asked me for the weight and what was inside specifically so right now I am waiting for their response....

This is citi btw. Let's just say I really really dislike them right now...

Message 17 of 25
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have. I mentioned it here a few days ago.  I used a debit mastercard from a local bank at a Chili's restaurant.  The waiter inflated the tip line, and the restaurant charged more than the amount on the total line I signed for.  The bank said there was nothing to do about it because the tip line showed a higher amount, and my signature was on the paper.  The restaurant manager said my math adding the total must have been poor and they just fixed my math for me, and the bank sided with them.  

You need a new bank.  Sorry this happened to you.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@j615 wrote:

I wonder if this is another feature of Amex that is no longer as true as it used to be.  On the Amex forum, there are several reports of Amex siding with the merchant "for no good reason"   As with AA, we are only getting one side of the story, but there are quite a few over time.

I would certainly use Amex for high-value stuff where you have some concern, but I would go for increased rewards on other stuff.

Thanks for giving me another reason to avoid applying for an American Express card unless it's for their charge card benefits. 

One of the main reasons to apply for an AMEX was their dispute process that heavily favored the card member over the merchant.

Seriously, there needs to be some changes at the top there.

Message 19 of 25
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@j615 wrote:

At least in my experience, AMEX has been very consumer friendly with disputes.  Twice I had to file a dispute against Uber for charges an AU swore he didn't make.  Both times AMEX ruled in my favor, even though I got a warning when submitting that these types of charges weren't normally reversible.  Both times AMEX claimed Uber never responded to their request for information.  Of course, I later figured out how to block a specific merchant, and did that (I had reported the card stolen after the first charge, but AMEX updated the account number with Uber so I was charged again later on).

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.