Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyday Rewards Card Recommendations

tag
voxombmx
Valued Member

Everyday Rewards Card Recommendations

Good Evening,

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my credit and have made great progress over the past year, I am not looking for any cards for myself at this time as I am "gardening" you could say.

My wife is wanting to get the best possible rewards card or cards for everyday purchases. We do not do a lot of traveling so that is not a great concern. We spend on average $100-150 on grocery and $60 on gas weekly in our household and go out to eat 2x monthly at around $70. Internet, satellite, netflix $120/month.

Her scores Fico8 Scores, obtained from myFico

EX 780  TU 789  EQ 774

Cap1 QS, Cap1 Platinum, JCPenny, Sears, TJMaxx MC and our Catholic Federal CU Visa cards = $25k total CL with 7% Utilization, 1 instalment loan, No lates ever all accounts in good standing.

We are looking for recommendations for a good card or cards to reap the most benefit from our daily/weekly/monthly spending. Our household income is $100k, we have a great savings account, all bills/expenses currently paid with our debit account. Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

FICO 8 Score
04/06/17 [EQ 624] [TU 606] [EX 624]
11/29/21 [EQ 800] [TU 805] [EX 807]
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
northface28
Established Contributor

Re: Everyday Rewards Card Recommendations

Amex Blue Cash Preferred.
BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 2 of 39
voxombmx
Valued Member

Is there any chance you can explain the difference between the Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday cards? I am scouring this site on multiple tabs to look for information that can help us, Im not able to decipher the meaning of the excel spreadsheets in the helpful threads.

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it isn't too complicated. As long as you purchase groceries in supermarkets, the preffered will net you an extra 3% in groceries and 1% in gas over the BCE. So in your case, that means 125*3% + 60*1% = 4.35$ per week. This multiplied by 52 gives you 226.2$ in cashback in a year over the BCE, which means 130$ more after you consider the 95$ AF. In total, it is around 390$ in cashback per year. These cards also have 10% back on restarants for the first 6 months currently, so these would be ideal cards for you.

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it isn't too complicated. As long as you purchase groceries in supermarkets, the preffered will net you an extra 3% in groceries and 1% in gas over the BCE. So in your case, that means 125*3% + 60*1% = 4.35$ per week. This multiplied by 52 gives you 226.2$ in cashback in a year over the BCE, which means 130$ more after you consider the 95$ AF. In total, it is around 390$ in cashback per year. These cards also have 10% back on restarants for the first 6 months currently, so these would be good cards for you.

Message 5 of 39
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Amex has a great site where you can compare their cards.  I think the difference is the BCP has an AF of $95 with a 6/3/1 rewards and BCE has no AF and 3/2/1 rewards...but go to their site to confirm that.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:

Amex has a great site where you can compare their cards.  I think the difference is the BCP has an AF of $95 with a 6/3/1 rewards and BCE has no AF and 3/2/1 rewards...but go to their site to confirm that.

The annual fee & rewards percentages are correct. Check out Nerdwallet's cash back card comparison to see what you'd get from each card.

Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep. medicgrrl is right.

You may look at the AF, and think twice, but with your spending on groceries and gas, you will easily cover that fee.

Where the regular Blue Cash will still get you 3%, the preferred will get you 6% on up to $6000 in spending on groceries. Your estimates put you right at $5200.

That's

$156 in rewards with blue cash

$312 in rewards with preferred

For a difference of $156. It's not a staggering amount, but after AF that still puts you up by $60 per year plus the extra 1% on gas.

That's going to be the main difference as far as I could tell when I did my research before going for the BCP.

Message 8 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you live in California, the Golden 1 CU card may be a good fit for you. It's got no annual fee and 3% on gas, groceries, and restaurants (not including fast food.) As far as I know this card is only avaialable to those who live in Cali.

Message 9 of 39
voxombmx
Valued Member

We don't live in California, thank you for the suggestion though!

We will look in to the Amex cards and make our own spreadsheet based on our personal spending habits to see how we would fair with etither card. Are there any other good rewards cards that we should consider at this time, or is Amex really just the way to go for the gas/grocery purchases?

We appreciate the feedback, thanks!

FICO 8 Score
Gardened 4/11/17-10/1/20
Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.