Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding My Portfolio

tag
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Expanding My Portfolio

1: Wait until your 21
2: <SOAPBOX>Ignore advice on balance transfers and start off right by not charging over your head and incurring debt. A credit card is NOT an extension of your buying power. Treat it like a debit card and pay in full.</SOAPBOX>
3: Since you mention travel, after you turn 21 consider good airline and/or hotel travel cards that will help cover those expenses. Think AMEX Delta and Chase Sapphire Preferred.
4: Stay away from Capital One because they pull all 3 bureaus for approval. No need to rack up unnecessary inquiries.

My suggestion:
1: Airline card with good SUB
2: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always pay in full and make sure I don't carry a balance and I do basically treat my credit cards like debit cards except for the fact that I get rewards Smiley Happy I thought it over a bit and I think waiting until I turn 21 in the summer is probably a good idea. I can try to get another soft pull CLI from Barclay and my 1 inquiry will fall off in May, plus I'm sure I can probably get a little more on my Discover too so any higher limit would help me to get a higher starting limit. Then I'll probably end up trying for the Freedom/CSP and or QS/DC. Only thing is I'll be traveling for 2 months starting on my birthday with only one day in between to come home unpack and repack, it would be nice to get a new card for then and hit my SUB spend requirements but I can wait until I have to buy very expensive law textbooks in August I'm sure Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Mr. Senator, what are your current limits? That would be an important factor in determining your eligibility for certain products, particularly the Chase Sapphire cards.

Given that your cards are over three years old, you should be good for almost anything mentioned in this topic except possibly for cards that have high minimum credit limits.

If you opt for Capital One, there's no need to mess around with their Platinum card. You can go for any of their prime products except possibly the Venture.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

JetBlue card is only $1,500 Smiley Sad
Discover IT is at $4,600

Message 14 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

With your current limits and history, I think you'll be fine for anything mentioned in this thread except for the Sapphire products and the Venture.

If no FTF is a priority, consider the Capital One Savor, Capital One Quicksilver, or Chase Amazon Visa. Also, if you're interested in Chase or Citi, apply with them before you apply for cards from other lenders.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.