Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with 2nd Amex Revolver?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experiences with 2nd Amex Revolver?

I'm looking at picking up the Cash Magnet and was hoping to see what others experiences have been with their second revolver. From what I've been reading it seems like they tend to be more conservative with the starting SLs on your second card. 

I was approved for the BCP in June for 12K on a 729 EX. Instanta approved at 61 days for increase to 25k (didn't want to push my luck with a x3). Balance is around 4K, and put around 3k through it every month. Multiple large payments are made throughout the month. 

Today my credit score is still at a 729 with less uglies, and a nice income boost. 

Data Points:

June 2019

EX 729

Income: 100K (20k is non-taxable)

UTL: 8% 

Accounts Late: 4

Charge-Off 2017

Charge-Off 2016

30/60 2013

30/60/90 2013

IQ: 1 

Cap One QS: 1950 SL

Discover Miles: 12000

CareCredit: 4000

Dec 2019

EX 729

Income: 120K (30k is non-taxable)

UTL: 15% 

Accounts Late: 2

Charge-Off 2016

30/60/90 2013

IQ: 3 

Amex BCP: 25k SL

Cap One QS: 2950 SL

Discover Miles: 16k SL

CareCredit: 20k SL

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experiences with 2nd Amex Revolver?

The SL on my second revolver was higher than my first. So given your $12K SL, Income and the spend you put through monthly. I suspect that your SL on second card will be higher. 

FYI, it seems you're coming up on your 181 day CLI on that Magnet. So if the SL on your second isn't to your liking, maybe hit them up for an increase on the existing card then reallocate some.

I think Amex is only conservative with people who don't put a lot of spend through their cards, essentially haven't used it since earning the SUB.

As well as possibly having a profile they're not quite fully comfortable with quite yet, to just hand over the Maserati keys.

Message 2 of 6
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Data Point:

1st Card: 2K 🡢 9K 🡢 25K

2nd Card: 14.4K ... BUT ... Card 1 reduced to 15K (they move limits).

- - - -

3rd card: 15.6K ... BUT Card 1 reduced to 10K.

I have immediately moved limits and requested CLI after card 3, so they all sit at 15K.

To answer your question, in my personal opinion, I don't think it depends on whether the card is 2nd or 1st. They will give you a limit based on your current profile. And this limit considers your overall limit with them. This is just my own observation based on my experience. Also, do note that my AMEX revolvers are co-branded, which all carry an annual fee.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first card was a $1K approval with a CLI granted to $3K before I even got the card in the mail and my second card 3 months later was $2200. 

I have low income at $18K so they are being a bit slow starting out with me but my second card was approved for more than double what my first was so I don't think that DP about second card being lower is a guarantee. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first Amex revolver was in March, 8000 limit. I increaded that to 12 on a CLI (that's all I asked for).

In November I was approved for the Delta Gold at 4,000 and a day or two later, the everyday cash for 3000. I moved 4,500 over from my first revolver.

Message 5 of 6
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Approved for BCP 11/2018 for 22.5K and CM 11/2019 for 20K.  Income is the same, FICO score is a few points higher than a year ago.  My car loan was over a year old when I applied for the BCP and was over 2 years old when applied for the CM, so at that time it would not show on the credit report for the 2019 card.  I ran 1500 to 3000 on an average month sometimes higher if I had an insurance bill or some other one off expense.  I have not requested a CLI from Amex.

So in my case the SL was about the same.  I am sure they look at total exposure which was mentioned before as well as other things on your CR.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.