Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Expired) New Amex Offer: Extra 4x MR Points for Walmart Grocery

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

(Expired) New Amex Offer: Extra 4x MR Points for Walmart Grocery

There's a new Amex Offer... earn an extra 4x MRs for Walmart Grocery Purchases.  Smiley Happy

Doc article:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-amex-offers-get-4x-bonus-membership-rewards-at-walmart-groce...

AmexOfferWMGrocery.png

I have this on my Amex Gold card, so that will be 8x MRs for Walmart Grocery.  Smiley Wink

It's a little confusing (to me) since the expiration is 7/31/2019, yet the enrollment deadline is 12/31/2019; the fine-print in the offer makes me think this is likely an error and in any case the end of the deal is 7/31/2019 (through the end of the year would have been sweet, indeed).

Also, the 4x points are in addition to whatever your card normally earns for Walmart Grocery, so if you add the offer to a Platinum card or Everyday card your total MR earnings will be less than 8x.

Usually I see WM Grocery offers on my AU's card but not on my own, however this time I actually had the offer on my card which was a pleasant surprise.  Smiley Happy

Edited to add:  The DoC article suggests that the offer will work until 12/31 as long as it's added by 7/31.  That's not how I read it, but I would love to be wrong in this instance.   Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex Offer: Extra 4x MR Points for Walmart Grocery

I checked both my ED and my gold and unfortunately i wasn’t selected for those offers. The only one i think i got was 5 dollars off for every 25 spent at superstores. I am not the biggest walmart grocery store purchaser so not the hugest deal in the world . 

Fort the people who got the offer. Are there any restrictions on getting 8x with your gold card? I wonder if somebody has an Edp would they get even better return?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I checked both my ED and my gold and unfortunately i wasn’t selected for those offers. The only one i think i got was 5 dollars off for every 25 spent at superstores. I am not the biggest walmart grocery store purchaser so not the hugest deal in the world . 

Fort the people who got the offer. Are there any restrictions on getting 8x with your gold card? I wonder if somebody has an Edp would they get even better return?

There don't seem to be any restrictions or limits... here's the fine print:

AmexOfferWMGrocery2.png

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be a sweet deal, if I had a Walmart Grocery. So even if I got the offer, I wouldn't be able to use it. once again another perk oppourtunity missed. lol

Message 4 of 17
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Cool offer, unfortunately for me Amex has never given me an offer I would use, all I get are crappy ones for places I never shop at.
For me, Amex offers are overrated
Message 5 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would be a sweet deal, if I had a Walmart Grocery. So even if I got the offer, I wouldn't be able to use it. once again another perk oppourtunity missed. lol

Walmart Grocery is the website, but you can do the actual pickup at your local Walmart store. 

My local store happens to be a supercenter, yet orders places through the Walmart Grocery website are billed out of Bentonville, AR and code as grocery on Amex.  You just pick up the order at the designated area at the side of the store.  I think they have delivery as well, but I've never done that.

Message 6 of 17
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Bummer, I don't have the offer on either of my cards. 🙁

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never heard of Wal-Mart grocery...that's a thing? Is it like a sub-site that has a only "grocery products?"

Also, the real question...are gift cards there? Wouldn't mind getting a head start on Christmas shopping for 8x points! Smiley Very Happy 

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Walmart Grocery is the website, but you can do the actual pickup at your local Walmart store. 

My local store happens to be a supercenter, yet orders places through the Walmart Grocery website are billed out of Bentonville, AR and code as grocery on Amex.  You just pick up the order at the designated area at the side of the store.  I think they have delivery as well, but I've never done that.

Message 8 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Never heard of Wal-Mart grocery...that's a thing? Is it like a sub-site that has a only "grocery products?"

Also, the real question...are gift cards there? Wouldn't mind getting a head start on Christmas shopping for 8x points! Smiley Very Happy 

https://grocery.walmart.com/

There's also an app for Android and iOS (separate from the regular Walmart app).  Some non-grocery items are available, but no gift cards or anything that would make this deal more 'interesting'.  

Most important, the credit card charges are coded as 'Grocery' on Amex (and trigger BCP 6%, Gold 4x, etc.) regardless of how the local store codes (charges are out of Bentonville, AR).

Message 9 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Is anybody having any luck with this offer?

I've triggered it twice (as expected), but my points summary shows I'm only getting an extra 1x MR instead of 4x.  Interestingly, the description in my points summary reads "Walmart Grocery 5x MR offer".  This is consistent with only getting 1x extra MR per dollar, which added to the Gold Card's 4x bonus would be 5x, but that's not what the offer states.

There's some language in the Amex Offer fine-print about how it might take up to 90 days, but in the past points from Amex Offers have posted up-front.

I'm trying to decide if I should wait it out or give them a call/chat.  The points I'm missing so far are trivial (~200) but by the time the offer expires on 7/31 at this rate the missing points will be over 1k (still trivial to many, but approaching meaningful to me).

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.