These credit scores from my Citi Identity Monitor

Message 11 of 32
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Explain to me why I was declined for a airline credit card

@TommyL wrote:

These credit scores from my Citi Identity Monitor

Then they aren't your real credit scores. They are FAKOs

Experian doesn't make you're FICO public, you have to be denied for credit or get AA in order to get that score.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 12 of 32
TommyL
New Visitor

I pay monthly to monitor my credit from Citi Identity Monitor. How can be fake????

Message 13 of 32
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@TommyL wrote:

I pay monthly to monitor my credit from Citi Identity Monitor. How can be fake????

Because Citi is selling you fake scores, the only way to get your real FICO scores is to buy them from myfico.com or to apply for credit, be denied (or not get the best interest rate) and wait for the lender to provide them to you.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

TommyL

You asked how they can be fake - they're not fake credit scores, they're just not FICO credit scores.  FICO is a company - Fair Isaac COrporation.  Some 90% of lenders use FICO credit scores, so they are the standard in the field.  Unfortunately, people use the term FICO as a synonym for credit score.

Think of it this way - all Kleenix is facial tissues, but not all tissues are Kleenix.  FICO is Kleenix.

Many different financial institutions will sell you a credit score, but it is their own consumer product, not a FICO.  So, we credit snobs refer to them as FAKO's.

But there is one important question that has been asked that you have not answered - WHAT FINANCIAL INSTITUTION ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?  The airlines do not offer the cards; they offer the cards through AMEX, Citi, etc.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 16 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 17 of 32
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Hi TommyL, and welcome to The boards.

There is a lot to learn here, and there are some cold hard facts that most consumers do not realize. The first was pointed out to you- credit scores are not all created equal. FICO scores are special, and the scores used by most lenders. The scores you get from other places, including the credit bureaus are just numbers. They are not used to determine whether you will get credit or not.

Another thing we learn from this site is that when we ”pay in full" makes a difference. Paying after the bank sends us a statement means that balance has shown up on our credit report as debt we owe, and affects our FICO score. If we pay the bank before the statement happens, and let the statement show $0 due, our FICO score is not affected negatively.

To better understand some of these unwritten rules, and maybe what might be negative on your report that you do not know about, keep reading this site.

If you share which airline card you applied for, we might be able to help you more.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 18 of 32
TommyL
New Visitor

Actually I don't need more any credit cards. I have so many pre approved credit mailed to me.  Because I am planning travel more that why I apply the card for free ticket. It was very suprised when I was declined for a card. My house and my cars were pay off, NO balance on any cards. I have a card that I use evereyday but I pay off when I get statement. No late payment of  any kind.My job is stable. I still don't get it.. I don't need to fight for that.  I will use my AMEX. Thanks for all your answers

Message 19 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.