Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Payments Reducing or Eliminating AutoPay Amounts

tag
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Extra Payments Reducing or Eliminating AutoPay Amounts

I have small balances on two accounts (Overstock- Comenity/Bread and Amazon Prime- Synchrony) that are 0% for a given time period. I have set up auto pay for both of them. 

I paid some additional on the Overstock card last month and noticed they decreased my autopay amount that month to account for that.

On the Amazon account, I purchase various miscellaneous items any given month and pay them as soon as they hit my account. They too reduced (actually eliminated) my auto pay.

I know Amazon will let you determine how payments are applied and I have chosen to apply to non-promotional charges first so that when I do buy extra items I am paying those off to avoid interest. There's no choice to apply auto pay to promotional balances.

I like having some balance showing because I pay everything off each month and this gives me 3% or so overall utilization atm. This just seems weird to me- like I've set it up to make sure the 0% balances are paid by their due dates and this messes up my system. It seems I need to just pay the Amazon promotional balance off, leave the Overstock alone and let it auto pay itself off and carrry on.

I guess I don't really have a question, just whining a little :/

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
PackAttack07
Established Member

Re: Extra Payments Reducing or Eliminating AutoPay Amounts

So you posted your thread as I was writing my (complicated) post about someting similar - then another person replied to my thread talking about the same kind of behavior. Your situation is a bit different than mine but same goal basically. I hate the whole "pre-pay means you lend us money for free" or is too rigid to actually ensure you pay what is required without throwing money down the drain. Technically this is easy to do.

To be honest though, as much as I say it's easy, people continue to prove during COVID that the only competancy most employees/companies had/have was to keep the wheels of the bus pointed straight given no serious roadblocks. Throw a banana peel on the road and they're in the ditch real quick.

I'm old school though myself - never used auto-pay or anything because the legal terms basically say they can take whatever money is in your bank account through incompetence and maybe you'll get it back a month or 2 later. No thanks.

I saw a thread about how there are supply chain issues for Credit Cards - just goes to show you how pathetic the capabilities of these "world-class" companies are.

Message 2 of 3
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Re: Extra Payments Reducing or Eliminating AutoPay Amounts

I feel like it's a bit shady. I'm telling them to auto pay X$ every month because I know that will pay off my 0% financing in time. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere but I didn't see it. 

I'm glad I at least got an email from Amazon telling me my amount was changed to 0. That caused me to look at it and at Overstock. 

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.