Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra card for spouse

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Extra card for spouse

The only time I have ever run into issues with ID is when picking up online Best Buy orders with our company credit card which is issued in the owner's name.  They won't budge even when I show my business card and ID even though the credit card does have the business name.  My wife and I use each other's cards all the time with no issue.

OP, I can understand not wanting to add new accounts to your spouse's files, but would the cards you'd add her as an AU on be aged already or also new?  If they are not new that may actually help her rather than hurt her.  My wife and I have added each other to numerous cards and the account age always shows the original open date (and historical info like high balance) even though the payment history only shows "OK" for those months since being added on.  2 of her cards have been open since '94, so that certainly helped me after the 10 year mark past closing some of my original less-than-stellar cards long before knowing the "don't close your oldest account" rule, as I would otherwise have lost years of credit history.  YMMV of course, but account aging has carried over for us on all 3 CBs on at least a dozen cards.

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did this with several of my cards because my husband always has his wallet and I hate dragging my purse around. When I need a card I just ask him for it but I have mine if he isn't around. Smiley Happy

To answer the OPs question; I just contact the companies and told them my magnetic strips had stopped working and asked them to send me a duplicate card. If I got any push back (only once) I told them I had subscriptions set up to charge to the card and I didnt want to have to update my CC info everywhere. Had no issues. Smiley Happy

I always wondered about this, so if you ask for a dupliucate I can understand the card numbers will remain the same, but how about the security CVV code on the back? I notice some credit card companies  (not all of course) whenever they issue you a new card and still keep the same numbers that the CVV may change. So would the old card and new duplicate still work even if the numbers are the same but the CVV code isnt?

Message 22 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I did this with several of my cards because my husband always has his wallet and I hate dragging my purse around. When I need a card I just ask him for it but I have mine if he isn't around. Smiley Happy

To answer the OPs question; I just contact the companies and told them my magnetic strips had stopped working and asked them to send me a duplicate card. If I got any push back (only once) I told them I had subscriptions set up to charge to the card and I didnt want to have to update my CC info everywhere. Had no issues. Smiley Happy

I always wondered about this, so if you ask for a dupliucate I can understand the card numbers will remain the same, but how about the security CVV code on the back? I notice some credit card companies  (not all of course) whenever they issue you a new card and still keep the same numbers that the CVV may change. So would the old card and new duplicate still work even if the numbers are the same but the CVV code isnt?

The CVV is computed from the account number, the expiration date and an issuer-specific key.   So the reason you see "some" card companies changing is when they change the expiration date on the replacement card.

If the date changes, I would expect the old one not to be valid

Message 23 of 33
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I am an AU on my wife's alumni BOA PlatPlus and her Citi DC.  Both of my cards are identical in account number, expiration and CVV.  Only the first names are different.  Probably good info to know for anyone who would like to track their AU's charges - can't be done with these.

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CVV is computed from the account number, the expiration date and an issuer-specific key.   So the reason you see "some" card companies changing is when they change the expiration date on the replacement card.

Thank you longtimelurker, if im reading you correctly, whenever they issue you a card with a new Expiration date the CVV will change too? If they send you a replacment with the same exp date then the cvv will be the same. Right?

Message 25 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you longtimelurker, if im reading you correctly, whenever they issue you a card with a new Expiration date the CVV will change too? If they send you a replacment with the same exp date then the cvv will be the same. Right?

Yes.   SInce there are only 1,000 possible CVV on V/MC, I guess it may sometimes be that with a new expiration date you would by chance get the same number, but hat would be the exception.

People should be able to confirm when their cards renew, the account is the same but the CVV will change.

Message 26 of 33
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

We've never been added for ID, not even at the post office.
Message 27 of 33
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Her credit profile doesnt support an AU??????

I don't get it..

Perhaps your profile might not be good for her.. but if hers isnt as good.. its all good 

Where I am,, using a spouses/SO card is mixed... 

The thing with AU's is its ALL dependant on the donor...... and if there is a problem with the parent account.. the AU can break off and be none the worse for wear....

If the account is in good standing its benificial... it doesn't ding her .....

I get that its a matter of convienence, but not one of credit....

If im wrong someone please explain it to me?

-J

Message 28 of 33
Poppa
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The only time I have ever run into issues with ID is when picking up online Best Buy orders with our company credit card which is issued in the owner's name.  They won't budge even when I show my business card and ID even though the credit card does have the business name.  My wife and I use each other's cards all the time with no issue.

OP, I can understand not wanting to add new accounts to your spouse's files, but would the cards you'd add her as an AU on be aged already or also new?  If they are not new that may actually help her rather than hurt her.  My wife and I have added each other to numerous cards and the account age always shows the original open date (and historical info like high balance) even though the payment history only shows "OK" for those months since being added on.  2 of her cards have been open since '94, so that certainly helped me after the 10 year mark past closing some of my original less-than-stellar cards long before knowing the "don't close your oldest account" rule, as I would otherwise have lost years of credit history.  YMMV of course, but account aging has carried over for us on all 3 CBs on at least a dozen cards.

The main 2 cards she uses were opened last month.

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 29 of 33
Poppa
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Her credit profile doesnt support an AU??????

I don't get it..

Perhaps your profile might not be good for her.. but if hers isnt as good.. its all good 

Where I am,, using a spouses/SO card is mixed... 

The thing with AU's is its ALL dependant on the donor...... and if there is a problem with the parent account.. the AU can break off and be none the worse for wear....

If the account is in good standing its benificial... it doesn't ding her .....

I get that its a matter of convienence, but not one of credit....

If im wrong someone please explain it to me?

-J

Because she recently opened a new account for a balance transfer and is in the process of paying it off. The balance is 23% of the limit. She has 3 cards, one new with a monthly balance. That's fine but adding another new account with another balance would have negative effects for her profile. She then would have 4 accounts with 2 balances each month. Her scores are low enough as it is and she has 3 collections. Opening up new accounts back to back is a big score drop. 50% of accounts having balances is a big score drop as well. Once 6 months have passed since her last opened account then we will probably do it but not until. There's no lates on any of my cards.

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.