Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 490 & NOW 740 ;)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO 490 & NOW 740 ;)

Hello All.

First I must say over the last 2 years I've been using MyFico my score has improved from a 490 to now a 740. If it was not for the support that I have had from you guys, this would not be possible.

I'm at the stage were I need to find Prime cards and also explore the idea of an auto loan or mortgage.
Navy FCU seems like the pick of banks seeing I meet the requirements but am not sure what kind of credit limits I will receive since my credit is now only 1.5 years on my EQ CR.

Credit Card:
For the Credit card I Was thinking of going with Navy FCU and want to know if I should try to get any from other banks while i am on a app frenzy.

Auto or Mortgage Loan:
It wont be right away that I plan to get one of these (Maybe Sept), Iut I think I'll need one to give a mix of credit.

Following is my History and scores I would be most grateful if the TEAM could give me some pointers to the best LONG and SHORT range strategy to build a good credit report. I've browsed many web sites to include www.whogavemecredit.com and others before writing to everyone.

Please share any suggestions that could help me and I dont have a problem with taking a short term hit on point to establish LONG TERM PRIME CREDIT.

Date: 4/16/2009

TransUnion 682

BofA- Opened Apr 2008
Orchard- Opened Feb 2008

Equifax 740

BofA- Opened Apr 2008
Orchard- Opened Feb 2008
OLD BANK ACCOUNT- Charged Off + Paid off on Feb 2008

Experian ???

BofA- Opened Apr 2008
Orchard- Opened Feb 2008
Local Bank- Secured Loan Feb 2008 paid off on June 2008
OLD BANK ACCOUNT- Charged Off + Paid off on Feb 2008

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: FICO 490 & NOW 740 ;)

NFCU is a great CU. They pull EQ exclusively, and with a 740, you shouldn't have any problems getting approved for a CC. I believe they look for a 660 or above.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

National City Pulls Transunion and everyone I know that has a card thru them and that has at least a 700 score started with at least a $7500 CL. My brother just got a $12,000 CL and his scores r all around 750 with high utility.
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isnt't National City now PNC?
Message 4 of 27
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

That's Awesome Chuck! Congratulations!! I hope to be there sometime by the end of the year or sooner. Smiley Happy

Way to go!

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations Chuck, and I'm so glad to see you achieved scores like these with a charge off that recently! That should give a lot of people hope.
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Isnt't National City now PNC?

As of this moment we still have National City banks on every other corner and my statements r coming from National city. I have not seen 1 change since pnc made that purchase. Actually it's a PNC and a National City bank right across the street from each other a few blocks from my house.

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mank wrote:
Congratulations Chuck, and I'm so glad to see you achieved scores like these with a charge off that recently! That should give a lot of people hope.

It seems after almost 2 years of credit fixing I still make mistake. hhehee. 
 Above on my Equifax I listed the charge off when infact it is on TU report.

Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestons, I will look in to this bank like yall said above.
 If any one every needs help by all  means please send me an PM and I would be willing to share my knowledge. 
THANK YOU EVERYONE

Message 8 of 27
niecey89
Frequent Contributor

Congrats. Keep up the good work.
FICO Scores 7/15/2008: EQ 600, TU 546, EX 490
9/17/08 - TU 571,12/17/08 649,3/16/09 638, 6/14 642
ScoreWatch 12/17/08 EQ 646, 1/2/ 09 664, 2/2/09 684,2/12/09 673, 2/16/09 688, 2/27 674,3/3 682,4/16 685, 6/28 679
1/2/09 EX 668 2/13/09 669
AS of NOV08 I am Credit card debit free. I AM A MYFICO.COM ADDICTED Smiley Happy ~
Message 9 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

chuck_texas wrote:
Above on my Equifax I listed the charge off when infact it is on TU report.

Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestons, I will look in to this bank like y'all said above.
 If any one every needs help by all  means please send me an PM and I would be willing to share my knowledge. 

THANK YOU EVERYONE

Ah, OK, that makes more sense.

Although your EQ is great, many banks will pull additional reports when your credit is very "young." I'd go with Navy for now, and don't forget that they're a source for auto loans as well.

Also, if you're eligible for Navy, are you also eligible for USAA? They recently loosened their requirements, and those who separated from the service in 1996 or later are now also eligible:

# Active duty officers and enlisted personnel.
# Children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.
# National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
# Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
# Former military personnel:
* Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
* Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
# Former USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance.

They're pretty conservative, and they might well pull a second report besides EQ, but if you're eligible, I'd get in with them too. They put a lot of weight on the length of time you're with them, and they will gradually offer you more and more goodies. If you're denied for a card, I'd at least get with them for renter's insurance or savings or a Roth IRA account or something. With time, you'll start getting offers of credit as well.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 04-17-2009 08:55 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.