cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNBO PC - Can Ducks Unlimited be converted to Evergreen?

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

FNBO PC - Can Ducks Unlimited be converted to Evergreen?

Since the Evergreen card is still fairly new, I was wondering if anyone has had experience or success in converting their FNBO Ducks Unlimited to an Evergreen?  Not sure if it's possible....DU may be branded and non-convertible.

Thinking of options to switch to a different 5% gas card, and it would be awfully convenient to PC my Ducks to a backup 2% general spend card. (Since I changed my Citi DC to the Custom Cash) And I'm trying to prepare, just in case AODFCU nerfs their 3% card, to have a backup 2% card planned.

Killing 2 ducks with 1 stone, so to speak.... Smiley LOL

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FNBO PC - Can Ducks Unlimited be converted to Evergreen?

why would you do that with gas prices as high as they are currently?  i am full remote and had little use for card after going remote, but found a use in it alot recently as prices are nuts.  5% back is great for gas!

Message 2 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I have no experience with FNBO cards, but I am curious what other 5% gas card you have in mind? 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 13
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Nooooooo! Not the Ducks! I meant you're also getting 5% on sporting equipment! That's two Ducks right there! No killem!

SD - Biz -
Message 4 of 13
cws-21
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Since the Evergreen card is still fairly new, I was wondering if anyone has had experience or success in converting their FNBO Ducks Unlimited to an Evergreen?  Not sure if it's possible....DU may be branded and non-convertible.

Thinking of options to switch to a different 5% gas card, and it would be awfully convenient to PC my Ducks to a backup 2% general spend card. (Since I changed my Citi DC to the Custom Cash) And I'm trying to prepare, just in case AODFCU nerfs their 3% card, to have a backup 2% card planned.

Killing 2 ducks with 1 stone, so to speak.... Smiley LOL

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question. I am surprised you would be willing to give up the Ducks Unlimited card! I am curious as to whether or not you would be seeking another 2% card if AOD makes their 3% card a 2% card. With no foreign transaction fees and a low APR, the Visa Signature card would still certainly be, at least, one of the best "everything else" cards out there. Maybe you are expecting a complete nerf or for it to go to 1.5%?

Message 5 of 13
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity @JNA1 @unsungivy @cws-21 

I'm not killing the Ducks right now. I wouldn't give up my grandfathered 5% gas card without having a replacement, especially now, like you say @CreditCuriosity . I'm just exploring options to see if anyone has done this. More recent Ducks card owners get the 1.5% version, so I was thinking it's possible someone may have converted to Evergreen from that.

@JNA1  Been looking hard at Abound CU for quite a while.  Not only do they have a 5% Visa Gas card (Costco friendly), but it also has 5% rotating categories like the Affinity card. The CL would likely be lower than FNBO, but I really like these types of cards. (Fixed Category + Rotating Categories)

@cws-21  I'm hoping that AODFCU doesn't nerf at all. People get themselves all worked up over rumors and start drawing attention to a nonissue.... But if they did nerf, I would expect it to go down to 1% or 1.5%, and if they do I would probably close all my accounts/cards with them. If it only nerfed to 2%, I would keep it going.

So the thought process behind all of this....

1) If AOD does nerf, I need a backup 2% General Spend card

2) I converted my Citi DC to Custom Cash....no regrets, but I still need a backup, just in case

3) At some point I expect that FNBO will eventually kill the grandfathered Ducks anyway.....if they do, I wonder if they would nerf it to the 1.5% version, or if I might have the option to convert to Evergreen (1.5% would be a dead card to me otherwise)....that would be a very convenient conversion since I need the 2% anyway and would keep my age/limits with that card

4) Abound CU is by far the best option for a replacement 5% gas card

5) The only other reasonable options for a 2% replacement would be Wells Fargo Active, or another Citi DC

(I'm not a fan of Wells Fargo - prefer to stay away, and I don't want multiple cards from Citi) Abound would/will be my 3rd Credit Union, so I wouldn't want to do PenFed, SDFCU, or Alliant....I have enough bank accounts. Paypal card is......bleh.....they kinda irked me when they killed my PayPal Key. No affiliation with SoFi, and no desire to.

Like I say, just exploring options....

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 6 of 13
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@CreditCuriosity @JNA1 @unsungivy @cws-21 

5) The only other reasonable options for a 2% replacement would be Wells Fargo Active, or another Citi DC

(I'm not a fan of Wells Fargo - prefer to stay away, and I don't want multiple cards from Citi) Abound would/will be my 3rd Credit Union, so I wouldn't want to do PenFed, SDFCU, or Alliant....I have enough bank accounts. Paypal card is......bleh.....they kinda irked me when they killed my PayPal Key. No affiliation with SoFi, and no desire to.

Bread is still hovering at the top of my list if I need a 2%. Despite that AmEx can be a little more limited, no FTF and deals makes it sound delicious... yummy carbs! (This is assuming I didn't go with the 2.625% from a BofA flat rate card due to an AF). Unfortunately my current flat rate back up is the BBP, which is already AmEx (points, has a yearly cap, and has FTF though)

SD - Biz -
Message 7 of 13
cws-21
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@cws-21  I'm hoping that AODFCU doesn't nerf at all. People get themselves all worked up over rumors and start drawing attention to a nonissue.... But if they did nerf, I would expect it to go down to 1% or 1.5%, and if they do I would probably close all my accounts/cards with them. If it only nerfed to 2%, I would keep it going.

So the thought process behind all of this....

1) If AOD does nerf, I need a backup 2% General Spend card

2) I converted my Citi DC to Custom Cash....no regrets, but I still need a backup, just in case

3) At some point I expect that FNBO will eventually kill the grandfathered Ducks anyway.....if they do, I wonder if they would nerf it to the 1.5% version, or if I might have the option to convert to Evergreen (1.5% would be a dead card to me otherwise)....that would be a very convenient conversion since I need the 2% anyway and would keep my age/limits with that card

4) Abound CU is by far the best option for a replacement 5% gas card

I get it, @Taurus22. I have been thinking about my Plan B if the worst case scenario happens with AOD and/or FNBO. For AOD, I will keep it if the only significant change is that it is reduced from 3% to 2%, though, like you, I will get rid of it altogether if it drops to 1.5% or 1%. In this case, I will start using my Double Cash again that I kept for this very possibility. If the Ducks Unlimited is significantly reduced or changed altogether, I will swap it with my Custom Cash for gas purchases and apply for the U.S. Bank Altitute Go for 4% on dining. I would like a card with another lender, I do not have one with U.S. Bank yet, and, given my family of 5, I often go over the $500 monthly cap of the Custom Cash for dining anyway.

Message 8 of 13
unsungivy
Established Contributor

I feel like there will still be a point to the AOD even if it drops to 1.5%, though more of a reserve funds situations. I have the stellar FIXED 7.49 APR, and that rate applies to balance transfers etc. Now, if they nerfed it to 1% and I can't get the credit limit up, then It's kind of pointless.

SD - Biz -
Message 9 of 13
cws-21
Established Contributor

I thought I would bump this post up given several of us replied, but none of us were able to actually answer @Taurus22's question. Hopefully some folks with more knowledge about this particular issue will respond.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.