Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNBO and Rakuten part ways

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FNBO and Rakuten part ways

Hello!  Long time reader and benificiary of the advice found here, just wanted to give a heads up.

FNBO has many co-branded cards and its hard, if not impossible to get in with FNBO directly unless you live in a certain footprint(area/zip code) that they service.  That being said...

Today I received notice that my Rakuten MC was being replaced as their, FNBO & Rakuten's, association is ending.

Good news is that I will be receiving a FNBO branded and owned card even though I dont live in an area that they service.

I live in Colorado but they only allow new applications from 2 counties in the state, I am too far south normally.  Their website always asks for Zip code and then tells me I dont live in an eligible area.

I will update after I get the card and see if they gave me a CLI upon the switch.  I PIF my balance 2 days before the notice was mailed out...  Here's hopin for some CLI luv from Omaha.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FNBO and Rakuten part ways

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing OP.  It appears not long ago they (FNBO) ended their partnership with Overstock as well.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a little curious if they are making the offer to all Rakuten MC holders or just those they want to keep.  Hopefully another Rakuten cardholder will provide a few more data points as they find out about the change.

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a little curious if they are making the offer to all Rakuten MC holders or just those they want to keep.  Hopefully another Rakuten cardholder will provide a few more data points as they find out about the change.

Typically, it's an exit of the partnership as it will impact all cardholders.  Much the same way they did with the Overstock and SavingStar programs, for instance.  A similar outcome with the NRA Visa, except the reasons to exit that partnership were more or less PR/brand reputation-driven.

Message 4 of 7
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

A similar outcome with the NRA Visa, except the reasons to exit that partnership were more or less PR/brand reputation-driven.

I still haven't received an unbranded card to replace the NRA Visa, but the CSR that I spoke with back when that was announced said that it would have the same rewards structure when they did send an unbranded card, so that's nice.  They did say it would be when their current contract expires, but that may run through 2025 for all I know!  They don't typically do product changes, or I'd just change it to the Ducks Unlimited card.  As it is, I just use it and hope it's still around the following month.. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just thought I would provide an update on the FNBO card.

Card arrived, basic rewards card, no auto CLI, but I am in on FNBO side.  Not on the co-branded side anymore.

So I took some more wisdom from the boards and called in, thought I would see what they offer when asked...

History:  1200 SL Rakuten Co-Branded - Auto CLI - 1600(1st year) - Auto CLI - 2200 (2nd year) - Auto CLI 2750 (3rd Year)

With a quick call to an Omaha based CSR ---> SP CLI - 2500 BOOM!!!   Now it's $5250  Don't know if its from the actual call or as a result of being on the FNBO side of things, either way, glad I read the thread where the guy got SP CLI by calling in, I will rinse and repeat in 6 months.

Now, back to the NFCU decision.

Message 6 of 7
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

I got in with FNBO a long long time ago.  Direct - no branding.   

Nice company and congrats on the CLI.

If your card is like mine - don't sit on the points earned.  They expire.

Welcome to the non branded side !

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.