cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FR by AMEX passed... now apply for a different credit card?!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: FR by AMEX passed... now apply for a different credit card?!

@Open123 wrote:

The issue with Amex protocol (which I experienced with Serve), is once you've been "tagged" for a certain risk type, the likelihood of being flagged again is greatly increased.  It's similar to the IRS for people tagged for potential audits.

All things being equal, I'd suspect for the next year or two, you may pop up on all sorts of triggers which will require an "added" level of documentation.

I feel the opposite... once you have settled Amex's mind with proof and pass, they don't care about you anymore and you are good to go! (especially if given no restrictions or limits like many see on a charge card coming out of an FR) AND OP didn't even go through a full FR if only had to send in 3 months paystubs and bank statements!

Message 11 of 19
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@mikikuki7 wrote:

I was out of town and my wife used the credit card for a month, I used it, but she did 90% of the transactions and that's what triggered the FR.

AMEX wanted to make sure that I could have enough income to pay for her purchases since the card is under my name.

I told them that then, why give them extra cards? May be I will have my kids to the shopping, errands or what not. You know what I mean?

Any way, send check stubs and bank accounts for the last three months and they removed the hold.

I applied and it says I have to call wihtin the next two days for the SimplyCash AMEX. Do I have to really call?! Now, that is annoying... I'm on the phone with all the time at work, and then to be on hold for 10 min! -.-

I agree that it is ridiculous to give out AU cards and then question whether you can sustain the spending. Was your wife doing an abnormally large amount of spending on the card compared to what had been done previously?

Message 12 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
That seems to be a quite common cause for FR: frivilous AU spend! Lol

It's just "outlier" behavior.  

I'd suspect 99% of their cardmembers won't have AUs spending more; or, tons of unrelated AUs.  Amex systems are tuned to isolate fringe spending and behavior that is contrary to the overwhelming majority of their members.

It's just practicing the "law of large numbers."  

Message 13 of 19
Open123
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

The issue with Amex protocol (which I experienced with Serve), is once you've been "tagged" for a certain risk type, the likelihood of being flagged again is greatly increased.  It's similar to the IRS for people tagged for potential audits.

All things being equal, I'd suspect for the next year or two, you may pop up on all sorts of triggers which will require an "added" level of documentation.

I feel the opposite... once you have settled Amex's mind with proof and pass, they don't care about you anymore and you are good to go! (especially if given no restrictions or limits like many see on a charge card coming out of an FR) AND OP didn't even go through a full FR if only had to send in 3 months paystubs and bank statements!

Give it some time.

Message 14 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
That seems to be a quite common cause for FR: frivilous AU spend! Lol

It's just "outlier" behavior.  

I'd suspect 99% of their cardmembers won't have AUs spending more; or, tons of unrelated AUs.  Amex systems are tuned to isolate fringe spending and behavior that is contrary to the overwhelming majority of their members.

It's just practicing the "law of large numbers."  

yes like my partner being approved $2k and me spending $8k in 2 months... the system is picking up that they didn't want to give out more CL initially for what ever reason yet this person is spending TONS more... and although all my payments cleared without issue, Amex will post payments instantly and open up spending so in theory I could have had well over $4k on the card before a payment could have been returned.... HOWEVER he also had his Costco card with a paid off $18k CL so I think that should have lifted a little concern of the system but the system is monitoring what you stated as income and what you are spending.... you clear that and I think you are going to come into the scope with any bank! some just tend to ignore or increase line as long as it looks like you are handling and not going under vs amex that says WAIT... something isn't adding up here!!

Message 15 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

All I know is Amex will get you- so I'd take it easy a while and give it six months in thegarden. Creditors are so dayum sensitive these days!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 19
mikikuki7

I applied for the AMEX BCC and I called and they told me that they are closed on Sunday.

I requested a CLI on my Delta since they approved me for 2k. which with that I can not even book a flight for myself to go anywhere! Does anyone has the backdoor number for LCI and the number for the SimplyCash BCC backdoor number too?

thank you..

BTW... both CSRs were rude... never expected that...

Message 17 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mikikuki7 wrote:

I applied for the AMEX BCC and I called and they told me that they are closed on Sunday.

I requested a CLI on my Delta since they approved me for 2k. which with that I can not even book a flight for myself to go anywhere! Does anyone has the backdoor number for LCI and the number for the SimplyCash BCC backdoor number too?

thank you..

BTW... both CSRs were rude... never expected that...

How long have you had the Delta Card?

Message 18 of 19
mikikuki7

I have like 5 months with the delta card.

Problem is that I earn 188k a year and have no other debt than one credit card at 2k dlls.

Why would they give me so little on that one and 10k on the AMEX cash rewards...

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.