cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI: AMEX Green posted total accrued balance not cut-off balance!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI: AMEX Green posted total accrued balance not cut-off balance!

Just FYI, I followed fused's advice below:

@fused wrote:
here's the skinny with charge cards like Amex:

1.) EX: make sure it reports as revolving, terms 1 month; if it reports like this it will not count in util calculations

2.) EQ: make sure it reports as other open account; if it reports like this it will not not count in util calculations

3.) TU: the current scoring model includes no limit charge cards in util, no matter what you do

My advice to you is pay off your green card before your statement cuts, so Amex will report a $0 balance or a very small balance and this will help your TU score.

but unfortunately, AMEX posted the total accrued balance for the month instead of the cut-off balance.

I made sure that five days before the cut-off date my balance is $0 and when the statement was closed yesterday, the balance was $23. When I pulled out my reports from TC, AMEX reported to all three CRAs the balance as $1537.

Poor TU, will probably get the beating out of this. LOL. Smiley Tongue
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: FYI: AMEX Green posted total accrued balance not cut-off balance!

ericksond wrote:
Just FYI, I followed fused's advice below:

I made sure that five days before the cut-off date my balance is $0 and when the statement was closed yesterday, the balance was $23. When I pulled out my reports from TC, AMEX reported to all three CRAs the balance as $1537.

You probably won't see that $23 show up on your reports 'til NEXT month; AmEx seems to report the PREVIOUS month's balance (that's what they're always doing on mine; I've been at 0 for weeks and was at 0 when mine got reported earlier this month, but my updated reports showed last month's blasted balance.  Argh), so if your balance was $1537 when your statement cut last month, that's what's going on.

If not, then I'm not sure what they're doing, on your account!

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex green doesn't report in your util though so why are you worried about it?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really worried. It's a good-to-know thing. Though fused did say that:

3.) Transunion: the current scoring model includes no limit charge cards in util, no matter what you do

Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.