Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False approval?

tag
cheychey99
New Contributor

False approval?

I applied for a Citi TY Preferred a couple of days ago and was instantly denied due to "submitting multiple applications for credit." I'm assuming that means too many inqs since I only have one Citi card right now.

Today I got an email saying "Congrats, you are approved." I thought it was a mistake so I called the application status number and put in the reference number from my denial email and the automated system said I was denied due to multiple submissions for credit.

I'm confused. Did Citi mistakingly send the approval email? Has anyone ever been denied instantly then approved without calling for a recon? I'm afraid to talk to a live person to find out the answer. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: False approval?

@cheychey99 wrote:
I applied for a Citi TY Preferred a couple of days ago and was instantly denied due to "submitting multiple applications for credit." I'm assuming that means too many inqs since I only have one Citi card right now.

Today I got an email saying "Congrats, you are approved." I thought it was a mistake so I called the application status number and put in the reference number from my denial email and the automated system said I was denied due to multiple submissions for credit.

I'm confused. Did Citi mistakingly send the approval email? Has anyone ever been denied instantly then approved without calling for a recon? I'm afraid to talk to a live person to find out the answer. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

You should call in directly to Citi and talk to a CSR.

Good luck to you!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 12
cheychey99
New Contributor

I know. Once I get the courage too I will. I just don't want to get my hopes up and be told "oops our mistake, sorry." Thank you for your response.
Message 3 of 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I suspect it doesn't mean that, and that somehow (maybe a double press on submit or something) you accidently applied twice for the card.  Citi  would automatically deny a duplicate.  So it's certainly possible that you really did get an approval for the card!

But best to talk to Citi! 

Message 4 of 12
cheychey99
New Contributor

You know what bs6054, after the first click it said something about system error or difficulties so I resubmitted the app and then it gave me the denial message about multiple submissions. I completely forgot about clicking twice but I figured the first submission didn't go through. I guess I'll find out in the next 4-7 business days. Thank you.
Message 5 of 12
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

I had a similar experience with Discover last year - also pressed Submit twice accidentaly (and not even noticing this), got "7-10 message" and then approval email. I called in and that's basically how I discovered all this - they said there have been 2 similar apps from me one after another and the system flagged both, so they had to manually push the first one through.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 6 of 12
cheychey99
New Contributor

It's weird because when I first clicked submit and it gave me the error message and I clicked back to the app page all the info I put in was gone so I assumed that the system never received the app so I filled it out again and clicked submit again. I guess the first one did go through.
Message 7 of 12
mojobones89
Contributor

@cheychey99 wrote:
It's weird because when I first clicked submit and it gave me the error message and I clicked back to the app page all the info I put in was gone so I assumed that the system never received the app so I filled it out again and clicked submit again. I guess the first one did go through.

just call...you aint gonna get nowhere being on here being confused.

im sure you got approved with the first submission and declined the 2nd time to prevent mulltiple apps....makes sense.

call and fine and get this stress off your shoulders,the worst they can say is NO.

good luck Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
cheychey99
New Contributor

I will call tomorrow Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.