cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic 0%, 15 month, offer....Not.

tag
Established Contributor

Fantastic 0%, 15 month, offer....Not.

I applied for a Chase 12 month, no fee, 0% BT, & 0% Purchase offer.

The offer even referenced my current Chase account, which meant the bank had already possessed my complete up to date credit histories through account reviews before making the offer. There would be absolutely no surprises when pulling the hard inquiry for the application. There was absolutely no valid reason for renegging on the offer upon reviewing the subsequent complete current reports. Balances were down and score was up since the issuing of the invitation.

Too good to be true in today's credit climate? It sure was. Smiley Sad

Chase pulled Experian (801 FICO) the next day. No negs. Only one $150 CC balance. The new card was approved within 24 hours, but only for the standard "go to" interest rate of 9.99% quoted in the 0% offer.

My current Chase card is already at 6.99%. No promo rates were given on the new card. Chase pulled the old bait and switcheroo. I haven't applied for any credit at all in 4 years. I would prefer not to have a new low limit ($13,300) card added to my credit files.

I would like to add the $13,300 CL from the new card to my current card and cancel the new card before activation. The CSR from the Chase "loan department" told me that the new card would not be reported to the bureaus if I canceled before activation.

I would like to see a show of hands.  Smiley Indifferent
Does anyone think that I should believe what I was told?

I am inclined to believe that I am stuck with the tradeline on my reports whether I close it or leave it open. I don't want to cancel the card if it will end up as a closed account in my files.

If I close the card and it does report, does anyone know if a dispute will be rewarded with a deletion since it was not the card for which I applied, and I never actually accepted the terms of usage?

If I am going to be stuck with it on my reports, I would rather not close it for all of the conventional "best practices" FICO enhancing reasons. It will however not reside in the drawer with clean socks. The bottom of the sock hamper would be a more appropriate resting place for the card Smiley Wink while I recover some average age and revert to "0 inqs & new accounts in the last 12 months".   

UPDATE 9/16/2008: Chase reconsidered and issued the card with all advertised terms and rates. See explanation here.

Message Edited by CreditAble on 09-16-2008 02:26 AM
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established Contributor

UPDATE: I got EVERYTHING I wanted.!

UPDATE

shelby127 wrote:

Hopefully you'll get the terms that you thought you would.......
................... Hope everything works out.

I had already read the Chase recon thread and proceeded to immediately use all the phone numbers in that thread and the backdoor numbers thread. I ended up talking to a lot of people who were absolutely convinced that there was no way to get Chase to change the terms of the newly issued card so I had wanted to refuse the card and try to keep it off my reports.

I had originally posted to get help in deciding whether to refuse an unwanted,  card since I was hoping to keep it from being reported to the bureaus. If the tradeline couldn't be kept off the reports I would have preferred to keep it open. Many of you gave me such great responses and encouragement.

Because of the replies to my post I was motivated to try one more time to try to politely ask Chase why the card wasn't issued with the promised terms.

All of a sudden I got the feeling that there were a whole lot of customer service notes placed in my Chase credit card file. The rep seemed to know why I was calling even before I opened my mouth. He immediately said "Mr Able your new card has had the complete promotional package added to it." He began reading the whole long list of terms, 0% purchase, 0% BT rates, and November 2009 promo expiration date.

The "package" probably was added after I had finished talking to a credit analyst in my first round of recon attempts. I had asked him what were any possible reasons why the system might have denied my deal? He had said that my 8 year history seemed a little short. Normally I believe that an 8 year history shouldn't be a cause for concern. I took a wild guess. Do you mean because of my age? I have always wondered if my life long policy of never buying on credit, (no credit history), raised questions in the system. The rep told me something very interesting. He said that the 10 year mark was where the Chase analysts more or less draw the line for reassurance of  credit worthiness. He said that they pretty much don't care what a person did as far as defaults, deroggs, and BKs prior to 10 years of good payment history. He actually stated that even if one had a BK prior to 10 years ago, Chase believes that 10 years of good history proves that the consumer learned how to handle credit and is treated as though he never had a BK. That is definitely not the case with some CC issuers. I hope that tidbit encourages some credit rebuilders out there.

I explained my reasons for applying for the card and how I had intended to use it, I further said that I uderstand that Chase may never be able to explain why I didn't get my promo deal, I politely asked him if I can have the tradeline removed from bureau reporting if I decline the card. I pointed out that I hadn't applied for credit in 4 years and am very particular about my credit reports. He was the rep who had told me that I could have the tradeline removed. I will never know if it could have been removed because I think that he is also the analyst that had approved my request after I had hung up the phone.

Contractor said; "I would start calling people and keep calling people until I got some satisfaction if I had an 801 in my back pocket."  I guess Chase's system was working in the background. As the recon threads verify, a no is not actually a no. Sometime a no means that "I can't give you my final decision at this moment."

It is a little strange that Chase came through after I made my post here and got all of those great replies. If Chase employees are reading this thread, I would like to thank you for your good customer service. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by CreditAble on 09-16-2008 02:27 AM
Message 12 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fantastic 0%, 15 month, offer....Not.

My vote is it will show as a tradeline either open or closed. I think I would start calling people and keep calling people until I got some satisfaction if I had an 801 in my back pocket.
Message 2 of 13
felixfly2000
Contributor

I am shock by this bit of news. You would think Chase would be beyond these type of shenanigans. I think it should be possible to cancel the card and not have it report, because Chase does a hard for a CLI anyway. Should as simple as a keystroke to transfer the inquiry away from the card and towards a CLI. Though it will more than likely need to be done at the supervisor level.Or at the least you could combine the two. Keep the age and IR of the first and add the CL of the second to it. Out of curiosity, what card were you applying for? Anyway GL
Message 3 of 13
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

Call them and you should be able to work it out. However, a $13K limit isn't a low initial starting line in this credit card climate....
Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 4 of 13
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I opened a Chase card and didn't activate it, and it reports on my TU and EQ reports. So I would take that advice with a grain of salt.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 13
Established Contributor

contractor wrote:

My vote is it will show as a tradeline either open or closed.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you.Smiley Sad

I think I would start calling people and keep calling people until I got some satisfaction
 I talked to quite a few people already. I'll make one more attempt to get satisfied after I receive the "welcome" package and am able to have all the final details in writing.

The reason I posted was to gauge my chances of not having the new account report if I cancel it before activation. Once I cancel it, I don't want to be in the position of trying to reopen it if the card remains on my report.

if I had an 801 in my back pocket.

Because of my in house history, my credit bureau reports, and I assume my FICO score, Chase has been sending me offers for other/additional cards for quite some time. I never responded since none of the offers were any better than my existing card which still gives 5% at the pump.

Chase finally got me to respond to a "Dodo_Bird"  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
Established Contributor

felixfly2000 wrote:

I am shock by this bit of news. You would think Chase would be beyond these type of shenanigans.

I was and still am willing to give Chase the benefit of the doubt. I tried to get someone to tell me why I didn't get the card with the advertised terms. A reasonable explanation was all I asked. No one could tell me for sure. The only explanation was the standard disclaimer that "upon reviewing my credit history, things (probably) had changed (deteriorated)". That is simply not the case.

felixfly2000 wrote:

I think it should be possible to cancel the card and not have it report,
 I don't feel that it should be considered a new account until I agree to the terms which would complete the contract. Activating or using the card would be construed as my accepting the contract. Until then my position would be that Chase is only making me an offer of a new account

felixfly2000 wrote:

because Chase does a hard for a CLI anyway. Should as simple as a keystroke to transfer the inquiry away from the card and towards a CLI.

I understand the inquiry should probably remain. I did apply for credit.

felixfly2000 wrote:

at the least you could combine the two. Keep the age and IR of the first and add the CL of the second to it.

I had actually anticipated combining limits with the old card at some point in the future. Many people feel that obtaining a new card and reallocating the CL to the old is the best way to get the largest CLIs with Chase since it is a "hard" either way.

I would not however normally applied to Chase for an additional tradeline. A new card from another issuer would have more benefit. Eggs in more baskets is usually the best practice. I like to keep my card issuers competing with each other. You might say I create "Luv buttons" in my credit files for my card companies to push. 

felixfly2000 wrote:

what card were you applying for?

However the terms of the invitation were for 15 months of 0% interest for both Balance transfers and Purchases. There were no BT fees for transfers made at the time of the offer although subsequent fees would be 3% capped at $99.

Message 7 of 13
Established Contributor

ficonovice wrote:

Call them and you should be able to work it out.

I definitely do believe that something will get worked out. If it doesn't get worked out sooner it will get worked out later. If I end up leaving the new card open and in the sock hamper, sooner or later Chase will notice that I haven't been using its cards for anything but gas. At the same time a lot of high PIF monthly charges will be showing up on Chase's competitor's cards (Experian Account Reviews).

Chase will eventually make me offers connected to the new seldom used card. I would at that time remind Chase that it screwed me on the last offer and I expect to be compensated with a better offer to motivate me to use both of my existing cards.

ficonovice wrote:

a $13K limit isn't a low initial starting line

$13K is not that low for starters, however Chase requires "hards" for CLIs while some other CC banks don't. Furthermore Chase has internal (risk) limits for total credit limits for all cards possessed by the consumer. The credit limit from a new card from a different credit card provider would not be constrained by Chase's total credit limit exposure and affinity for hard inquires.

I am at my internal risk limit with BoA/FIA cards. I don't know how far away I am from any internal risk exposure limit with Chase.

I could obtain at least $35,000 or $50,000 limits from new providers. Even if the initial limits might not be that high, I am pretty sure I can make > $35K happen within a year or so.
Message 8 of 13
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

ficonovice wrote:

a $13K limit isn't a low initial starting line

$13K is not that low for starters, however Chase requires "hards" for CLIs while some other CC banks don't. Furthermore Chase has internal (risk) limits for total credit limits for all cards possessed by the consumer. The credit limit from a new card from a different credit card provider would not be constrained by Chase's total credit limit exposure and affinity for hard inquires.

I am at my internal risk limit with BoA/FIA cards. I don't know how far away I am from any internal risk exposure limit with Chase.

I could obtain at least $35,000 or $50,000 limits from new providers. Even if the initial limits might not be that high, I am pretty sure I can make > $35K happen within a year or so.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both Citi and BoA are very generous with CLIs and have always been soft pulls for me. Chase has always been more rigid (in most areas) and in my few dealings with them have heard loud and clear that any CLI request will result in a hard pull. They started me with a line of $14,900 in May but haven't seemed too flexible with any requests the few times I've chatted with them. They do want to follow their scripts though and try to get you to purchase everything under the sun from them....
Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully you'll get the terms that you thought you would, but in reading the small print for the link that you posted this little thing showed up:

"Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in this Rewards Program or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for this bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. "

I got this card in the mastercard version and received the stated terms, but I applied as a new customer.  Hope everything works out.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.