Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way to 100K in revolving credit

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Fastest way to 100K in revolving credit

@Arago wrote:

Assuming a FICO of 750+, what would you do to get to 100K in revolving credit in the quickest way possible?

Marry someone with $100K or more in credit and have them add you as Authorized User?  Smiley Tongue

Seriously, there aren't reliable shortcuts to quickly building high credit limits unless maybe you've got a lot of money to invest or to open those secured cards suggested by @K-in-Boston.  It normally takes most of us a lot of time. High FICOs only go so far in the process.  The method of targeting lenders like Synchrony or Comenity might work for the short term but aren't reliable for the long term. 

To build high limits you can keep, you need not only the FICO score but also the income, reasonable debt levels, and payment history to support them.  

The first thing I would suggest is trying to grow the limits on the cards you already hold. Apply for new cards in moderation to add to your lineup.  My personal opinion is that premium travel cards (think AF $$$) may get a somewhat higher SL than everyday Visa or no-AF cash back cards.  Either way, it will probably take time to build from $20K to $100K.  Building too quickly may lead to diminishing results with eventual denials, and could temporarily damage your credit score

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 11 of 26
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Arago wrote:

Assuming a FICO of 750+, what would you do to get to 100K in revolving credit in the quickest way possible?

Marry someone with $100K or more in credit and have them add you as Authorized User?  Smiley Tongue

Seriously, there aren't reliable shortcuts to quickly building high credit limits unless maybe you've got a lot of money to invest or to open those secured cards suggested by @K-in-Boston.  It normally takes most of us a lot of time. High FICOs only go so far in the process.  The method of targeting lenders like Synchrony or Comenity might work for the short term but aren't reliable for the long term. 

To build high limits you can keep, you need not only the FICO score but also the income, reasonable debt levels, and payment history to support them.  

The first thing I would suggest is trying to grow the limits on the cards you already hold. Apply for new cards in moderation to add to your lineup.  My personal opinion is that premium travel cards (think AF $$$) may get a somewhat higher SL than everyday Visa or no-AF cash back cards.  Either way, it will probably take time to build from $20K to $100K.  Building too quickly may lead to diminishing results with eventual denials, and could temporarily damage your credit score

+100

Take your time getting to 100k. Getting credit lines that are both useful and large take time. No short cuts that give lasting results. 

I have a pretty modest income and it took me 11 years or so to get up to 180k. So definately not in a short time. 

Instead of focusing on getting 100k my suggestion is to shop around and find a card you really like. It could be travel, dining, whatever your fancy - and make that your goal.

Then as you start getting approved, find more that can cover your other spending or gives you perks you like after allowing some time for your new credit to age. 

Plenty of credit cards that are great and would love you as a consumer.

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 12 of 26
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Arago 

You just turned 18 correct??

You need to slowly build, most of us here, it took time to build up our credit.

And quite honestly with your age you need some years to learn and build a good financial plan, 18 is way too young for that amount of credit to be even thinking about Smiley Indifferent

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 13 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

It easier to get to 100k total credit limit if you have income around $100k or more, its not totally necessary but it makes the process a lot smoother. 

- If you are under 5/24 rule with Chase, try for a Chase Southwest card, it's starting limit was twice the starting limit of my Chase Saphire Perfered card. 

- Also try for a American Express credit card, the Blue Cash Perfered is nice card if you do grocery shopping and can justify the Annual Fee,  after 61 days with the card try for 2x-3x  credit limit increase.  90 days after your credit limit try for another Amex Credit card. 

- Pick up a Syncrony card or two, use the cards gently, paying the card on time, after 6 months or so, and a few CLI, call there back door numbers,  for Sam's Club cards or Amex store cards, try for a credit limit of $10k each.  Lowes should be fairly easy to get to $20-$25k. 

- Macy's credit card can grow pretty easily as well.  

- First national bank of Omaha has been quite friendly 

With a clean report, and good income none of this should raise too many red flags, if you spread all this out over a year.  No promises to get the total credit limit to a $100k in a year, but its the potential to grow in a couple years. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 14 of 26
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

1. The credit card game is like Monopoly. It takes some time.

2. Pay every credit card on time or before.

3. Do not have balances.

4 The tortoise has a shell full of cards.

5. The hare went bankrupt. 

Message 15 of 26
donotpassgo
Valued Member

@GomerPyle wrote:

4 The tortoise has a shell full of cards.

5. The hare went bankrupt. 

... Rupert is the tortoise, and Cornelius the hare? 🤔

I think I finally got it.

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely takes time. And do you have a fake 750+?  

Message 17 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely takes time. And do you have a fake 750+?  

What does that even mean? 

Message 18 of 26
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Out of curiousity, why the goal of $100k in credit lines? Is it just a random number?

For reference, right now I hold 5 cards - one is a Target Redcard with a very low limit, and four are bank revolvers with moderate limits. My overall total is just barely where you want to be, and I don't need as much as I've got - over the past few years I've let three other cards lapse that were about another $75k in CL. Couldn't think of a compelling reason to try and keep them active rather than SD's so they got closed (and in one case I closed one because I couldn't justify the annual fee).

The funny thing is the lowest limit bank card is my daily driver and I put a fair amount of spend through it per month. The last time they did a SP CLI it was for $2k, less than 10% of the original CL. It's almost comical.

Message 19 of 26
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

What's a fake credit score?

I swore off credit cards after getting in trouble with them over a decade ago.  Got interested in them again after I bought a house.  First card I got this time around had a $1000 limit.  I worked with that for a while, paying it down multiple times per month until I realized that utilization is a thing.  That got me obsessed with upping my revolving credit... I had a schedule for CLI requests to BoA, Citi, and Amex.

Back in 2017 it took me about 4 months to get from $1K to $100K.  Some high SLs from Cap1, Chase, and Amex helped, along with knowing when to request CLIs and how much.

Once I hit around $250K (and banks stopped giving me SP CLIs) years later I stopped caring.  I'm actually thinking about downsizing and getting rid of some issuers to simplify things.  But I also see the value in keeping dead no-AF accounts open.

I wouldn't recommend going all rapid fire with apps like I did.  There are downstream consequences to having that many new accounts and inquiries.  You never know what opportunities you might miss after you grenade your credit report like that.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.