Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fear of the decline

tag
Caliche
Valued Member

Fear of the decline

I believe I suffer from a condition.  I don't want to exagerate but everytime I use a debit card or cc for any transaction other than online, there is this part of me that's worried about getting declined.  I started rebuilding my credit about 1 1/2 years ago and maybe this is a result of carrying the burden of bad credit for so many years.  With poor credit any type of face to face review can be painful whether that be applying for a cell phone, auto insurance, a car loan, attempting to open a checking acct. or even renting a car.  I have 2 low limit cc's that I won't even pull out of my wallet if I think there anywhere close to the limit and I pay those in full numerous times a month.  My debit card has a $2500 daily transaction limit and keep that acct. pretty well funded and I worry about it. 

My understanding is even people with stellar credit and prime cards (Amex) can be declined if a pattern is disrupted or a review has been initiated?

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: EQ700 TU 724
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Fear of the decline

Lenders usually decline transaction because,

* Sudden high charge

* Suspicious of fraud

* Overlimit

Message 2 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Caliche wrote:

I believe I suffer from a condition.  I don't want to exagerate but everytime I use a debit card or cc for any transaction other than online, there is this part of me that's worried about getting declined.  I started rebuilding my credit about 1 1/2 years ago and maybe this is a result of carrying the burden of bad credit for so many years.  With poor credit any type of face to face review can be painful whether that be applying for a cell phone, auto insurance, a car loan, attempting to open a checking acct. or even renting a car.  I have 2 low limit cc's that I won't even pull out of my wallet if I think there anywhere close to the limit and I pay those in full numerous times a month.  My debit card has a $2500 daily transaction limit and keep that acct. pretty well funded and I worry about it. 

My understanding is even people with stellar credit and prime cards (Amex) can be declined if a pattern is disrupted or a review has been initiated?

You're not alone. I experience this, too. I'm hoping that as my credit improves this will fade, but it may be something that will always be there, lurking in the back of my mind. Admittedly, though, it has been getting easier as time goes on and I'm becoming more secure over my credit rating. FWIW, I do understand how you feel.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I don't use my Amex in public  Smiley Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 22
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I suffer from this too. Only I'm on the other side of it. A lot of people get their cards declined at the rental car counter for a variety of reasons. The card company freezes their card because they don't realize they're traveling, obvious declines with maxed out cards, people trying to use debit cards that fail the credit checks.

Informing someone their card is declined sucks

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 22
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

I'm always afraid that my card will get declined too which is part of the reason why I carry an army of credits cards and debit cards with me..

In the past, before I had the amount of credit cards that I currently have, I'd occasionally head over to Best Buy with plans to use my debit card to make some purchases. But I was so paranoid that I'd also withdraw enough cash from an ATM to cover the purchase just to be on the safe side. The transactions always went through so I'd dump most of the cash back in my account...

Message 6 of 22
Caliche
Valued Member

If I'm on a date with a gal I always make it a point to have plenty of greenbacks on the hip.  I can't think of a worse scenario than to have a waiter tell you "no dice" when it comes to the meal and drinks transaction.  "ahh, hey Lisa can we try one of your cards?"

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: EQ700 TU 724
Goal Score: 700

Message 7 of 22
ontop
Regular Contributor

Count me in. In fact, I just got a decline an hour ago with my 1 month old GEMB card in Walmart. It went through the second try, nevertheless. If not then I was about to unleash my BOA card, along with 5 other debit cards fully loaded. Thanks to all the suffering from the declines in the past. Still I'm always paranoid.

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 8 of 22
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Chase have declined me twice in the L12 months at Discount Tire. I swiped the CC inside and was declined the 1st time for $600s and 2nd time for $200s. Both times about 6 months apart. Had to call in to clear things up. Their reason was "suspicious activity". I pretty much bitch them out the 2nd time cause the CSR was giving me a hard time. I answered all security questions correctly but he insisted I call him back from my home phone. Told him I am inside the store and could not call him from my home phone. I had to get the call escalated to a supervisor to clear things up. I ended up using my Chase Debit CC to finalized the purchased. The Chase supervisor was very nice to say the least. Getting declined is a shocker and so far, only Chase have done this to me. All charges was local. I did travel abroad a few times, notified them of the travel and things went smooth.

Message 9 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

It gets better.  The first job I got after losing my job in 2008 was a temp position.  I had been out of work for several months, was way behind on everything including my mortgage.  I was juggling so many things, and taking advantage of every trick I could to try to keep all the balls in the air, like initiating some payments before I had the funds because I knew it usually took that company a couple days to withdraw the money even though they would credit me on the day I put the payment through. 

Anyway, the very first day on the job I go to lunch with one of the other guys in the office.  My debit card was declined after we already had our food.  I was into my overdraft protection and they wouldn't approve it.  I just met this guy and I was borrowing money from him to pay for lunch.  That was humiliating.

Oh well, I paid him back the next day.  And as embarrassed as I was about it, I doubt he even remembers it.  We're still in touch.  In fact, he asked me to write him a letter of recommendation for a law school application recently.

I am a little nervous every once in a while when I've had to put a lot of business expenses on my card and usage gets high for the month, but it's mostly a thing of the past.  Before you know it, you won't think about it anymore either. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.