Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed Up With Discover!

tag
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Fed Up With Discover!

Well, it sounds like your score will rebound and be even higher than before.  Hopefully, a few months down the road, you'll get the CLI you deserve from them.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
vish1
Valued Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:

I got a new auto loan in August. And apped for 3 new cards in Nov and Dec. So I'm sure AAoA and the inq are the reason. No cc balances.

Did you ask them for a CLI even before you got your autoloan, if yes, what was your score then?

What is your total available credit / income?

How old is your history?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 12 of 21
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Oh people, stop!  awww I can't take too much of this!  I think it's been over-assessed -- it's a credit card, not a national crisis!  Ok ok ok, first I wanna give a double-AMEN to wollepopolle.  Also, to those who stated YMMV -- they are all correct. 

To the OP, I know you're not happy right now and probably stopped reading after my first sentence but take this little bit of advice... don't get caught up in the things you read in these forums.  It's supposed to give good advice and help educate those who are seeking answers.  I know, I know, I know... some people use the forum for bragging rights and I skip right over those, but don't let what others type discourage you.  Truth be told, I don't believe half of the things I read in here, but I keep communicating on the things that I know and have lived through.

Discover is just a lender.  They are not obligated to do jack for us if you really read through their lengthy cardholder agreement.  It's all for their benefit of making money -- not ours.  Take it however you'd like, but as many have said... just relax and keep doing what you're doing or you can change over to another lender at anytime -- it never means the grass is greener because they all have the same goal -- to make money.  Don't stress yourself over Discover.

Message 13 of 21
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Thanks for the good advice Jay! I too also have some serious doubts about the CL's some people post on here.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

DXH has had a Discover since June 1989. For years and years, it was his only CC. He uses it a lot.

His CL is $14K, which sounds high for Discover, but it has been at that level forever. I think it got up there back in the glory days of easy (or easier) credit, and I'm pretty amazed that it hasn't dropped.

Discover is pretty famous for being stingy with CL's these days. I think it can be a great card if the rewards fit your usage, but it's highly unlikely to ever be a high-limit card for the overwhelming majority of us.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 21
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

DXH has had a Discover since June 1989. For years and years, it was his only CC. He uses it a lot.

His CL is $14K, which sounds high for Discover, but it has been at that level forever. I think it got up there back in the glory days of easy (or easier) credit, and I'm pretty amazed that it hasn't dropped.

Discover is pretty famous for being stingy with CL's these days. I think it can be a great card if the rewards fit your usage, but it's highly unlikely to ever be a high-limit card for the overwhelming majority of us.

I can only speak of my experience. I got my Discover in October of 2003. I don't remember what the initial CL was but after that it seemed like I got an auto CLI of $1,000-$1,300 every year without fail and it didn't seem to be tied to anything I did or didn't do as far as using the card.

But it's been almost 2 years without a CLI  so I agree that they have become rather stingy. I use it more than any card I have. Last year I ran right at $30,000 through it and you'd think  that would make them happy but I only paid about $7.00 in interest one time in 1/2010 and nothing the rest of the year so maybe I'm being punished for that.  Smiley Happy

It's my highest CL at $13,300.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 16 of 21
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I've had Discover for four years. It started at 11,000, (I was very surprised), and due to two unsolicited increases it is now 14,000. Another in our household, also four years old, started at 8,000 and did not get an unsolicited increase until the end of last year and now stands at 10,200 .

Neither of us use the cards a lot compared to others, but they are used at least every six months. I wish I could say what makes a difference but I can't. I could guess that my conservatism appeals to them. Good scores, well used but no maxed cards, generous payments on balances, and all signed up for auto-pay. If I had a card I wanted to grow, I would definitely sign it up for auto-pay; I think that tells a bank a lot about your financial confidence.

I read a lot here from people that are in a big hurry. I think that is a big mistake, most banks take the rush to mean "needing" money. Credit is a long term passtime, it definitely creates a necessity for other hobbies as well.

Good luck, ( like the earlier poster said, it's just about credit cards)

CI

Message 17 of 21
BP2003
Regular Contributor

Called back in to Discover a month after the $1800 CLD (From $2300 down to $500), to inquire about restoring my CL.  After spending 41 minutes on the phone with the CSR (very nice, kind of nervous sounding young lady), and after going through a routine of holding then answer questions, holding then answering questions...guess what?!?!?!?  Absolutely no consideration... "We will need to keep the credit line where it is".

I hear, "Based on your perfect payment history with us and all of your other credit cards and never going over the CL, we really don't give a flys butt about keeping you as a happy customer" Smiley Tongue

Anyway, my utilization has come down from mid 80s to low 30s after some payments and a few new CLs that I have obtained since Discovers CLD.

AMEX Blue Cash increased me from $3000 to $5000

BoA WorldPoints increased me from $1000 to $2500

I also recently applied for and was instantly approved for:

BoA Accelerrated Rewards (AMEX) for $5000

AMEX Blue Sky for $4000

$12,500 in brand new revolving space.Smiley Very Happy

I am really tempted to close that Discover card...I know it will be out of frustration, but I don't like being treated like a bad customer.

***From ashy to classy***
Message 18 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

My CL has been at $4600 for the last 8 months.  When I call the voice line to request a CLI, it wants me to speak with a CSR.   I hang up because I do not want a hard inquiry. 

Message 19 of 21
BP2003
Regular Contributor

@DI wrote:

My CL has been at $4600 for the last 8 months.  When I call the voice line to request a CLI, it wants me to speak with a CSR.   I hang up because I do not want a hard inquiry. 

I should have done that!  I know they were looking at my EQ and TU, and she seemed very confused that some balances were reporting on TU but not EQ.  Meanwhile, both are stil reporting a $2200 Discover balance from TWO MONTHS AGO.  I paid the balance over 7 weeks ago, and it is still yet to update...lol.

***From ashy to classy***
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.