cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with poor CS on credit cards. What are the best ones?

tag
Roger1071549
New Contributor

Re: Fed up with poor CS on credit cards. What are the best ones?

I agree with a lot of what people say about Discover customer service. Nice and polite and usually quick. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Chase as well. Also most CU's would have decent service at the least. I have a PSECU card with out issues. 

For one company that has yet to be mentioned is PNC. I called only a few times and they were nice and polite as well. Even when I closed my card. 

Message 11 of 35
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I've never had an unpleasant experience with any CSR.

Sure, Disco CSRs are pleasant and chatty, but limited in exactly the same way Capital One is. 

Chase is Chase.. sometimes I end up with "nice" one, sometimes it's "business only, mam", but every issue in my 17 years with them was resolved via single call or SM. 

Ive had no issues with US Bank.

Fraud  resolved with single call, both cards replaced just in case. 

Message 12 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That has been my experience as well.  While telecom can be hit and miss, with credit cards I've had some disappointing calls where either I couldn't get something accomplished due to what the CSR's limitations are or a quite amusing bungle by a Chase CSR (that was resolved in another call) that resulted in me getting SEVEN replacement cards with the same card number, expiration, and CVV, in the mail a week later, but nothing approaching bad customer service.  Usually I am very pleased with my experience when I have to call, and geographic location has had no bearing on that.

Your experience will often be dictated by the reason you are calling, as well.  When I have spoken to credit analysts at Bank of America, the calls have been like catching up with an old dear friend.  On the other hand, with Chase those same calls felt like an FBI interrogation. But the circumstances surrounding why I was calling as well as my profile (which was the same, but each lender was looking for different things) lent a lot to that.

Message 13 of 35
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

Undoubtedly, NFCU, Discover, BMO Harris (Diners Club), and the Chase Sapphire line have been my best experiences.

My worst have been Barclays, Bank of America (extremely long wait times) and PenFed's curt and surly CSRs.

AmEx, Citi, US Bank, Chase non-Sapphire line, and Capital One are average. Synchrony was also average when I had them years ago. 

^^^^ This for me as well and in a nutshell. NFCU being extra professional and super courteous.

PenFed you can't even reach them after a certain time in the evening. Not exactly 24 Hour ready for prime time IMO

I would like to add very high marks with FNBO which is always been most courteous, knowledgeable and polite in the extreme

Message 14 of 35
Vu
Frequent Contributor

BB&T is absolutely the worst one in my experience.

I approved and received the Spectrum cash reward from them in September, and as of today, I cannot use the card at all, not even once. 

When I activated the card, it shows the credit limit but has no available credit.  So I called them, and the CSR said the fraud department put a freeze on the card, and I should receive a phone call or letter in the mail within ten days (this was in September).

In mid-October, about a month since I approved for the card, I called again and asked what's going on.  If they suspect fraud, then go ahead, close the account and remove the account+inquiry on my credit report (they report the account to the CB as an open account in good standing).  I was told it's not possible until the fraud team makes the decision.  So I asked how long would the team needed to make make the decision, and said that there's no timetable for that...

And as of today, ~2 months since the fraud department placed the freeze on my card, no resolution whatsoever.

So yes, I don't know if any company can beat such customer service and incompetency of BB&T.

Message 15 of 35
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Best? American Express, hands down. To be specific, Amex CHAT (online messaging). Not once, have I had to rate them less than 10 stars. They always solve my issue. Not sure if their chat is also outsourced. For some reason, people seem to have mediocre or bad experiences with other forms of Amex support.

I think in general though, the chat is better anywhere if they offer it. My theory is probably because the CS is more composed and feels less pressure.

Message 16 of 35
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I have had great luck with Amex, both chat and phone.  PNC has been very good, but occasionally the CSR can't answer my question.  Citi bank is mediocre at best.

When I was looking at the Capital One Venture and the PN Cash Rewards cards a few weeks ago, I could never get through to Capital One via phone but could get answers via Twitter.

If you are also wondering about web sites, Amex is the best I have seen.  PNC is pretty good, but the Amex site is more straightforward and informative.

Message 17 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

There is something about competent customer serivce. You don't value it until you need it. What are the credit card companies with best customer serivce? What are the worst ones?

Amex, Chase, Discover: Generally good experiences.

BofA: Competence, but long delays (~20 mins) despite being Platinum Honors.

Barclays, Citi, Capital One: A coin flip. You can get someone good or remarkably incompetent.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 18 of 35
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

This is one of those subjects that for every person you find that has a good experience with a lender, you'll equally find someone who has had the exact opposite experience.

In my experience all customer service interactions at worst is "just okay". Not by the normal definition of "okay" but rather because I've come not to expect much from any of them these days as to not be completely disappointed. Sucks to think this way but it's what helps me to banging my head against the wall.

Now, if there were kudos to give to lenders that are above "just okay" I think I'd have to echo a lot of what has already been mentioned. Chase, Amex, Discover, NFCU, PenFed to name a handful.

My true "just okay" lenders are BoA, Wells Fargo, Citi, and CapOne.
Message 19 of 35
JNA1
Valued Contributor

NFCU, AMEX, Discover and AOD have been my best experiences. PNC and Sync have been pretty good. I really have needed help from BBVA, Cap 1, or BB&T, so I can't really say on those. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.