Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel good smile moment...

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Feel good smile moment...

I put a home improvement project on my cc.  Have a grown up contract and all that.  Contract even says how much the project will cost!  Smiley Happy

The deposit was immediately put on the card.  It was 25% of the project.   (I absolutely hate that I have to put down a deposit on a project and then wait weeks before they can schedule me...)

The crew finally comes out, does the project, and asks me to sign off that the work was done.  No problem.  The work was completed.

Then boss man calls to confirm the work was done.  No problem.  The work was completed.  He wants permission to charge $xx,xxx.00.  I said no, it's suppose to be $xx,xxy.00  (A few dollars difference.)  He says ok, bye.

Then boss man's associate calls to ask permission to charge the cc for the balance of the project.  Sure, no problem.  She says it will be $xx,xxx.00.  I said no, that is the wrong amount.  It's suppose to be $xx,xxy.00.  I explain you take the deposit and multiple by it by 4 and you have the total.  She does the math, agrees that my figure is correct and hers is wrong.  Says bye.  

Dang woman charges HER figure on my cc instead of the contract one.  ****insert eye roll****

I text boss man and ask him to correct their mistake.  He chooses not to respond.

I email the cc company and ask them to correct the charge and credit the difference.  I explain the math formula.  I offer to send a copy of the contract.  They explain they will need to contact the company, etc and wait and see.  ***insert eye roll***  I do get it, it's procedure, so I say ok.

Received my statement today.  

On my statement - it says "Too small to research."  I got my credit!!

That was my much needed feel good smile today!!!

* The project cost a little more than they had anticiped due to their mistake.  Boss man said he was pulling the crew and stopping all work until I agreed to pay the estimated $3500 extra fee.  I told him to do what he needed to do and reminded him that this was THEIR mistake not mine.  (I am not sure it was a mistake - it felt like a shake down.) In the end, the crew finished the job instead of walking off the job.  I would have had a fabulous lawsuit if the guys had actually walked off the job.  But glad the work was finished.  And I was amendable to talking about the price difference, but the statement boss man made telling me -- BY TEXT  -- that he was pulling the crew until this was resolved made me less agreeable to fork over more money.  (I was at home and boss man had never come to the property.)  And then deliberately over charging my cc when I had said no...and ignoring my text about it...yeah, that ended all hope of reaching an agreement for me to fork over more money.

Anyways, seeing the credit on my cc made me smile and feel good.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Feel good smile moment...

If you don't mind disclosing was it one of the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes. I was thinking of adding a deck in addition to the patio we have in our yard since the yard is so big and looks empty?

Message 2 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you don't mind disclosing was it one of the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes. I was thinking of adding a deck in addition to the patio we have in our yard since the yard is so big and looks empty?

+1

I'm also interested to know if it was one of the 'big box' stores, since my grandmother will be having some work done soon.

Also, are you saying the amount of the difference was $3500 and the bank considered that too small to investigate?  If so that's quite astounding, but fortunate for you!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Just beware. If your chargeback to the merchant was successful, they have every right to come after you (collection agency, or small claims court, or worse yet a contractors lien against your property) for the balance that your contract shows is owed - be careful with that! A successful chargeback does NOT relieve you of any monies that you were obligated by the contract to pay!

I agree that what they did was wrong, but, remember that you still have a balance due to them!
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@fltireguy wrote:
Just beware. If your chargeback to the merchant was successful, they have every right to come after you (collection agency, or small claims court, or worse yet a contractors lien against your property) for the balance that your contract shows is owed - be careful with that! A successful chargeback does NOT relieve you of any monies that you were obligated by the contract to pay!

I agree that what they did was wrong, but, remember that you still have a balance due to them!

The balance isn't due if it's not in the contract, though, which is what the OP is (I believe) trying to say.

This isn't like the other thread you and I participated in where the person was simply unhappy and didn't want to pay; in this case the amount of the charge was different from what was agreed to in the contract... that's apples and oranges, at least if my understanding is correct.

In any case, if it were me I would keep excellent records of everything that has transpired, and be ready (and willing) to back up the claim if the need arose.

(In the event of a small claims case over something like this I would personally be tickled to appear and share my side... it would be a slam-dunk case if the contract was indeed violated as the OP alludes to.)

Message 5 of 6
digitek
Established Contributor

Neat story, thanks for sharing.  Didn't realize that the CC company would come through in a case like this, sounds like it could've been a nightmare.  I'm not a huge fan of contractors, not many good experiences with them in the past, glad to hear you didn't get bent.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.