Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about which cards I'm eligible for and Capital One combining

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Few questions about which cards I'm eligible for and Capital One combining

Checked my Experian and TransUnion scores today. EXP: 715, TU: 700. I'm stoked!

I got my first credit card back in late December, a Chase Amazon Student Visa. I got my second one around March or April, a First National Bank of Omaha Student Visa.I have 6 inquiries on my credit report, 4 from Experian, 2 from TransUnion, and 1 from Equifax - none of them later than April 21st. The limits on my accounts are $600 from Chase and $500 from FNBO.

I want to go on a nice app spree that'll satisfy my needs for a while. I want to get the First Command Bank Visa, some kind of AmEx card, a Chase Freedom, and a pre-qualified Capital One card.

I just applied right now for the First Command Visa, so I'm sure that'll be showing up as an inquiry on subsequent apps. However, I have these questions.

-I know my credit score is decent, but the age/limits on my account are fairly weak. I want to get an AmEx card, but I'm not sure if I'm eligible for Clear or any of the airline cards. With my score and history, would I be approved for any of these two? Also, can anyone break down air miles for me? I have a really good friend that lives around 2500 miles from me (I'm in San Diego, California, she's in Virginia Beach). Does that mean for every 5,000 dollars I put on credit, it's a free round trip ticket? I tried to read up on it, but seeing all those commercials with blackout dates and other drawbacks, I'm just not sure.

-Funny, I have three Capital One pre-approved offers sitting on my desk right now (one expires today, another next week, another the week after that). They're subpar, but what I really like is the 0% interest until September '09. I know how the combining of offers works for Capital One, but what if you don't have any accounts with them to begin with? Is it the same process?

I'm also going to get a CLI on my existing accounts. After getting some feedback from you folks, I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Few questions about which cards I'm eligible for and Capital One combining

First Command pulls from TU and is very senstive to inquiries. Good thing you applied with them first.

Have you tried the Amex pre-selector to see if you are offered anything? Might want to try to see if anything pops up. Your EX score is good, but I am not sure how they are with short history. The Clear is a bit harder to get than some of the other's they offer.

You have Chase and the Freedom is a great card.

Most people combining accounts with Cap 1 already have more than one. Remember they pull all 3 bureau's when you apply and I doubt you want to tank your score's with 9 hard inquiries (?)

In the current climate, I don't recommend app spree's, but good luck to you if you do. Especially if you are wanting to add Amex.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

9 hard!?!?!? EESH. Good that you brought that up, I was thinking of whether or not I should try and do it today since one of them expires. If I do go with Capital One, I'll definitely make that my last one.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
9 hard!?!?!? EESH. Good that you brought that up, I was thinking of whether or not I should try and do it today since one of them expires. If I do go with Capital One, I'll definitely make that my last one.

You said you had 3 pre-approvals, I took it you were wanting to apply for all of them and combine. Just warning that they will pull all 3 bureau's for EACH application you submit.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

cap1 limits apps to one per 45 days however unless you plan to go overseas i would hold off as you will likely get a small limit.

Amex may approve you for clear as i have seen others on forum get green cards after 7-10 months also however i would wait until the 1 year mark since its only 1 month away. Also, I beleive clear is 1% back .

Chase Freedom should be fine however if you prefer that you maybe better just converting your amazon card and putting the INQ towards a CLI

Also you may want to add a BofA card as they are great with CLI(every 3-4 months soft inq) and will grow with you

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have the backdoor number to First Command? I got rejected, despite the fact that I have good credit and even checked the box that would make me eligible for their botton rung card.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.