Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiance's credit card bomb...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fiance's credit card bomb...

I agree that you both may want to share credit reports now so you both know what's going on financially before a wedding.  Money problems are the cause of many, many divorces in this country.   Less surprises before I Do is better.

As for a low BT card, Discover More &/or Motiva have longer offers and Citibank has some 12-15 month offers I've seen the past few days.   Check their websites.  Good luck.

Message 11 of 15
Cprman
Contributor

I've been in a relationship for a year now, my girl noticed I was checking on my credit and did the same. We went over our credit reports together. She had a couple baddies that I'm helping her get fixed and working on using a few revolving accounts. If we get married and go for a mortgage, some loans factor in both scores not necessarily the highest. I realize while I'm positioned nicely, I have to begin positioning her credit as well as she only has once CC that she never uses (although her apr is 3.9% and has been for over 5 years go figure). I can't stress enough how important knowing what you're getting into financially is. Side note: I would also say be very careful about adding a SO as joint user even if you are married, AU for the win.
5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant Credit Union has a non-reward Plat Visa with 8.5% fixed and no BT fees.
Message 13 of 15
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

1. if she chooses to opt out of the new apr, they will close her account and she should pay the balance off.

2. balance transfers usually would not qualify for whatever reward a particular credit card has (like miles) that is for purchases only.

3. if you don't just want to pay it off, I suggest a new card with a 0% for 12 months otherwise pay it off at the new rate and keep the old trade line but not before at least asking if there is anything the creditor can do about the new rate, what issuer? 

+1

My thoughts exactly.

Starting Score: 6/6/12: TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: All 800's
Cap1 QS - $17k, Chase Southwest- $25k, Discover IT - $50k
Message 14 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@mmmlive1999 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

1. if she chooses to opt out of the new apr, they will close her account and she should pay the balance off.

2. balance transfers usually would not qualify for whatever reward a particular credit card has (like miles) that is for purchases only.

3. if you don't just want to pay it off, I suggest a new card with a 0% for 12 months otherwise pay it off at the new rate and keep the old trade line but not before at least asking if there is anything the creditor can do about the new rate, what issuer? 

+1

My thoughts exactly.

******5 year old thread*****

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.