cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico 776, small credit history. Which card to get?

tag
kalani91
Contributor

Fico 776, small credit history. Which card to get?

My girlfriend has a 776 Fico score from this site. Very Low credit history with school loans opened up 4 years ago and a credit card opened up from BofA 4 years ago too. She never actually used the card so it doesn't show payments but is still open. No inquiries, no baddies.

Which would be a good card she can get? I Already know the top cards around for great scores but not sure of cards that approve people with very small history.

She is going to switch her old card to a better cash back BofA card but I want her to get more cards so we can build credit together and get a house.

EX 724 ,NFCU Cash Rewards 7k DCU Plat 4.1k, Discover IT 2.5k Chase Freedom 2k. . Cap1 Plat $1.5k, Cap1 QS 1k, , Wells fargo 1.5k, Paypal 1.5k
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Fico 776, small credit history. Which card to get?

Her credit history isn't exactly thin though she only has 1 card. I would say she should have no problem getting approved for most cards, with few exceptions, depending on her CL on the BofA card.

Ask for a CLI with BofA first.
What type of cards is she interested in?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 25
kalani91
Contributor

Her BofA is low at 700$ eeek. She's interest in some cash back cards or just any good foot in the door card that could grow big. I heard us bank has nice cash back but wondering if she'd be able to make that?

EX 724 ,NFCU Cash Rewards 7k DCU Plat 4.1k, Discover IT 2.5k Chase Freedom 2k. . Cap1 Plat $1.5k, Cap1 QS 1k, , Wells fargo 1.5k, Paypal 1.5k
Message 3 of 25
myjourney
Super Contributor

enharu wrote:
Her credit history isn't exactly thin though she only has 1 card. I would say she should have no problem getting approved for most cards, with few exceptions, depending on her CL on the BofA card.

Ask for a CLI with BofA first.
What type of cards is she interested in?

+1 with 4 years history she pretty much can take her pick

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

Call BofA for a CLI first. With a 700 CL trade line her options are a lot more restricted. BofA can be pretty generous with CLIs.

So she never used the card even once?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm surprised the cc is still open with no activity.
Message 7 of 25
kalani91
Contributor

I'm going to sign in her account tomorrow to double check pyt history. She never used the card but it showed on her account. Not one single bill. 

Message 8 of 25
kalani91
Contributor

Would it be best to CLI and then wait until it shows in credit report? Then apply for some CC's

Message 9 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.