cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Third decreased my credit limit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fifth Third decreased my credit limit.

@Anonymous wrote:

Went online to download my latest statement for my Trio Rewards credit card at Fifth Third. Much to my surprise (and mostly dismay), I discovered they lowered my credit limit from $8500 down to a measly $500.

I have never been late on a payment and always paid in full every.single.month. I called customer service and spoke to a lower level rep who couldn't really give me any information other than to say that a letter of expanation was being mailed to me.

I have worked very hard to maintain a good credit score. It's always been in the 750+ range across all boards and no baddies on my credit reports and now my scores are going to take a hit. This is a real kick in the pants for me. I guess this is the thanks I get for being a customer since 1995.

Might be time to consider moving to a local credit union.

End of rant.

Update.
As I stated earlier, after my CLD, I called the bank and filed a dispute. As of now, I am still waiting on the letter of explanation. Since I was so ticked off at them, I paid off the $79 balance on the card and SD'd it.

This morning (Sunday), I'm doing my daily ritual of checking my accounts. I open my Fifth Third account and it showed my balance as $0.00 owed on the card, but here's the real head scratcher...my limit is back up to $8500!

I am hoping this was only a software glitch, but won't know for certain until I receive the explanation letter. This whole ordeal left me sleepless for a couple of nights trying to figure out what went wrong. For now, I guess I'll sit tight and see what happens next. Keeping the card in the sock drawer for now.

Stay tuned...

Message 31 of 56
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous glad you got limit restored. That's a great news 

Message 32 of 56
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Sorry for your limit reduction

EDIT  Congrats on getting your limit reinstated !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 33 of 56
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

They just AA my account as well.

from 4000 to 500. 

$0 balance.

last used 3 months ago.

I closed the account.

Only AA in years.

730s fico8

12% util

Sorry for your reduction also

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 34 of 56
markhs777
Regular Contributor

My CL was not decreased however my cash advance limit was decreased from 6k to 1k. Not that I would ever use it I called out of curiosity and was told cash limits were decreased to 10% of the total limit for all customers. I little skeptical and no big deal but banks are becoming skittish. 

Message 35 of 56
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@markhs777 wrote:

My CL was not decreased however my cash advance limit was decreased from 6k to 1k. Not that I would ever use it I called out of curiosity and was told cash limits were decreased to 10% of the total limit for all customers. I little skeptical and no big deal but banks are becoming skittish. 

I just noticed that and will be burning this account, they only reason I kept it was its high cash availability over Chase AARP but now that advantage is gone so bye bye 5/3

Message 36 of 56
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That is awesome that the limit seems to be restored!  In your case, this was a real head-scratcher with regular use and clean reports.

Since we have seen some similar posts (albeit with some possible reasons like inactivity) I wonder if perhaps this was simply a programming error that affected limits when it was only supposed to change cash advance limits?

Message 37 of 56
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@gdale6 wrote:

@markhs777 wrote:

I just noticed that and will be burning this account, they only reason I kept it was its high cash availability over Chase AARP but now that advantage is gone so bye bye 5/3

@gdale6 this is where some CU cards are really different, with full availability of the credit line and sometimes not even a cash advance fee other than pass-throughs from ATMs.  (Of course there is interest to consider, but if it is short-term and the APR is sub-10% that doesn't add up too quickly.)

Message 38 of 56
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@markhs777 wrote:

@gdale6 this is where some CU cards are really different, with full availability of the credit line and sometimes not even a cash advance fee other than pass-throughs from ATMs.  (Of course there is interest to consider, but if it is short-term and the APR is sub-10% that doesn't add up too quickly.)

Yeah, I have 2 of them now and will be looking to expand to a few more CUs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 39 of 56
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

What a bunch of idiots.

Maybe they should have made their CSA aware of this issue.

My CLOSED card shows $4,000 available.

I closed it because I thought it would look better than them closing it in the next few months.

Oh well.....

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 40 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.