cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Third decreased my credit limit.

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Fifth Third decreased my credit limit.

@Rebuild2019 wrote:
@Shooting-For-800I’m sorry they decreased your limit. Will things ever go back to normal?

I make progress on my Scores and now my reports are all clean and I’m afraid to try any cards because of what’s going on.

Good Luck

It was a computer glitch.

I just happen to check my account the day it was reduced.

I called them and told them to close my card.

The limit went back to normal the next day, but the account is now closed.

Just a freak weird timing issue.  

I will live.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 51 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had the same issue with my Fifth Third card. I had my card for 3 months never used it, which I got last year. I ended up using it three times this year, and after making each purchase I paid them off a few days later even before the billing cycle came. Last week I went to log on to my app to pay off the purchase I made, I noticed my limit dropped from 7500 to 900, at first I thought my card was being used so I checked transactions, everything was ok. I waited till Monday to call to find out, the rep was helpful and told me that she didn't know the reasoning behind it and that they don't tell them and I should receive a letter in the mail. I got the letter today and read it " We have reduced your credit line to 900. our decision is based on the following, Too many revolving accounts with balances too high in proportion to credit limits. That is a **bleep**ing joke, plus my score took a hit dropped 42 points, what do my other cards have to do with this one, if I'm paying this card on time and in full. Had they have done their research they would see that I carry a balance and pay them in full on every last card that I have. I've never had that problem. I thought about calling to cancel the account but I'll just keep a very low balance.

Message 52 of 56
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what do my other cards have to do with this one, if I'm paying this card on time and in full.

Actually, your other cards have quite a bit to do with how your lender views you.  That's been true for several decades.  If you have five cards and run four of them up to their limits and pay the fifth card in full every month, the lender for that fifth card will get concerned.  It's why you see so many soft pulls from your existing lenders each year.  They're monitoring your performance on the other lenders' cards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 53 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have little faith in 5/3 credit card department they told me 4 1/2 years ago when I opened my secured that 12 months of good payments they would unsecure, not might, would. Flash forward 3 1/2 years still hadnt unsecured inquired about it refused, apped for basic unsecured declined, love them for their banking and loans but their credit cards are lackluster 

Message 54 of 56
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Since your reports are clean, that's bizarre if you are using it every month

It's not bizarre to me at all.

Unless I misread the particulars, OP uses the card to the tune of a couple hundred dollars.

In recognition of this, the bank lowered the credit limit to...a couple hundred dollars.

Not only does that not sound bizarre, but it sounds like smart business. I get that it sucks for the OP, but it's just business.

Do you use entire limit on all your cards every month? 

Easily

And you pay before statement cuts?   Because if you're easily maxing all three of your cards every month, your scores are not in 700s. With three maxed out cards, 100% of cards reporting balances, 620 is a stretch. 

Or maybe you only listed three cards in your profile, but have others that you dont use, which would be rather strange given that you just advocated against that. 

I find the removal of cards from the signature since this posting to be an interesting development. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 55 of 56
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Update to my 5/3 accounts they both have now been closed due to inactivity so long 5/3 thanks for the journey. 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 56 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.