Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Figuring out my next move

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Figuring out my next move

So I have an idea of how I want to proceed, but I also wanted some outside input from you guys. My current situation is as follows:  

EX: 722  

TU: 703  

EQ: 691  

Inq's: 6 I believe on TU and EX, 10 on EQ within the last year. 3 in the last 6 months.  

I have 6 cards as of right now, all in my sig. What I've been mulling over is wanting to wait for my current oldest account to hit 1 year which will be Disco (7 months) now since I closed my CO Secured at 8 months. I will almost certainly be closing my QS1 card as well at some point, but that's where I want input. If I close it now, I'm left with no VISA or MC cards and that's not a situation I really want to be in unless I can add one like the Citi DC and I'm under the assumption that Citi wants at least 1 year of history. The reasoning behind closing the QS1 is mostly just because it'll always be a low limit card and it has an AF to boot. 1.5% is nice, but I can do without it because I have other rewards cards that can get more use to pick up the slack.  

Just to clarify, Citi isn't the only company I'm willing to look at, that was just the first example I could think of and if there's other options I'm more than willing to hear them. If you guys have any suggestions, please by all means let me know. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Figuring out my next move

You have nice rewards, and enough cards for optimal "FICO" scoring. Your inquiries are high and age of accounts thin.   I believe you should  " s l o w "  down.  If you wait, your scores, account age, and inquiries will all improve.  You will then have a choice of nice cards, with better CL and not have to start at the bottom and claw your way up to a nice CL.  Time helps a great deal !.

Message 2 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

As long as it remains on your report, your closed Capital One card will still count as your oldest card. I think it's a good idea to wait until you have a one-year-old card, but with the number of recent accounts, I agree with Kforce that gardening for a while is in order. A good time to start thinking about new cards might be when your newest card is six months old.

Check in with Capital One each month to see if a product change offer is available for your QS1. QS1s are hard to PC, so be patient.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm considering the PENFED credit cards, I've seen people on here getting some pretty awesome SL with them. 

Message 4 of 7
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

PenFed has recently tightened up its income requirements for starting limits.  You might want to familiarize yourself with PenFed's new standards before applying.  There was a thread here in January or February about those new standards.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info!

Message 6 of 7
luxlight
Regular Contributor

You could also see about getting the Capital One card product changed to the Quicksilver which has no annual fee and same rewards.

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.