Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling gaps of Chase Trifecta

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filling gaps of Chase Trifecta

Currently in unofficial garden mode right now due to a possible mortgage in the near future. Currently have the Freedom, Free Unlimited and the CSR as my primaries. Prime Visa for amazon and whole foods/prime grocery.

On the other side have Hilton Aspire to fill the gap of the CSR (I primarily stay at Hilton properties with work travel). Then I have the Amex Gold which I sort of underutilize.

Although I am pretty set, I am always looking for something to fill gaps. Right now I am considering 2 cards for the future that might help:

1. BCP: the grocery spend seems to cover my non-amazon owned purchases. Also gas. Has an AF which I am not thrilled about, but could pull of the spend to break even.

2. WF Propel. This seems to have more millenial items like streaming, travel, gas, etc. It also feels like it has a lot of overlap with the CSR (my churner for dining and non hotel travel). No AF is also attractive as it feels like a "no harm" situation.

Does anyone have a similar setup to me and find either of these cards helpful to fill a gap?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Filling gaps of Chase Trifecta

@Anonymous wrote:
Currently in unofficial garden mode right now due to a possible mortgage in the near future. Currently have the Freedom, Free Unlimited and the CSR as my primaries. Prime Visa for amazon and whole foods/prime grocery.

On the other side have Hilton Aspire to fill the gap of the CSR (I primarily stay at Hilton properties with work travel). Then I have the Amex Gold which I sort of underutilize.

Although I am pretty set, I am always looking for something to fill gaps. Right now I am considering 2 cards for the future that might help:

1. BCP: the grocery spend seems to cover my non-amazon owned purchases. Also gas. Has an AF which I am not thrilled about, but could pull of the spend to break even.

2. WF Propel. This seems to have more millenial items like streaming, travel, gas, etc. It also feels like it has a lot of overlap with the CSR (my churner for dining and non hotel travel). No AF is also attractive as it feels like a "no harm" situation.

Does anyone have a similar setup to me and find either of these cards helpful to fill a gap?

I feel like you are mixing a lot of cash back cards with rewards card for example. Why wouldn’t you want a EDP over BCP? Although I will admit that EDP and Gold both are groceries cards so they kind of over lap each other. 

As far as Propel goes  , while its nice it has no AF , but you already have CSR for travel. And why want two separate cards for gas,  Propel and BCP. Two Gas cards for 9 months of the year, I think would be over kill. 

I have very similar cards to you , and I will tell you the breakdown of how I use my cards. Groceries and restaurants are dedicated to the Gold card, Freedom has its 5x categories, so for this quarter its on groceries duty. I use my CIP for 3x travel and cellular phone insurance. I have been mixing in my citi premier for gas and travel. Everything else is pretty much FU card if i am not trying to meet min spend on any cards. That pretty much covers most of my spending. 

On a side note when I used to have Netflix that was covered by my chase ink cash , it was 5x. I am not sure if thats the case anymore since i haven’t had Netflix for a few years.  Just something to keep in mind. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting with the Chase Ink cash. Might be something to look into.

I guess I am starting to think about what the world sans amex gold may be. I am currently grandfathered with the lower AF at the moment but it will hit higher this year. If there is a better grocery and other (streaming and other items not covered by traditional chase products)catchall card with a lower AF, I might be interested. Definitely curious what others do to fill the gap.
Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I would look at everyday preferred it does have an annual fee but it's much lower than gold cards annual fee. If I recall it's ninety five dollars . American express usually
Has best options when it comes to getting bonus spend for groceries. EDP if used properly will net you 4.5x groceries 3x for gas and 1.5 X for everything else. It isn't bad for supplement to csr

The reason I chose gold over it was because of restaurants spending as I no longer have csr so I wanted a card that has a big bonus category for restaurant spending.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of people use Chase Ink Cash as part of their trifecta or quadfecta. You can do better with it than the regular freedom depending on habits and categories. The 5x for cable/satellite/phone/office expenses. Buy gift cards on Staples ect. It adds up.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same card setup (just recently got the Freedom so that I can ice my Discover IT). I would recommend the BCP and rotate that vs the Freedom. BTW - the BCP does cover a lot of subscription services now. My math might be off since I originally got the BCP when it was $75 a year - but at that time, only looking at Groceries, the break-even vs the BCE was $225 a month. 

Chase INk is for business, but this forum makes it sound like we either have a ton of business owners or a ton of people putting personal transactions on their card (which goes directly against Chase policy).

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same card setup (just recently got the Freedom so that I can ice my Discover IT). I would recommend the BCP and rotate that vs the Freedom. BTW - the BCP does cover a lot of subscription services now. My math might be off since I originally got the BCP when it was $75 a year - but at that time, only looking at Groceries, the break-even vs the BCE was $225 a month. 

Chase INk is for business, but this forum makes it sound like we either have a ton of business owners or a ton of people putting personal transactions on their card (which goes directly against Chase policy).

Good to know on the BCP. Defintely something I will be considering given the bonus and the part where I am pre-qualified for it as of now. It seems like a solid overall card that isn't to hard to hit the bonus. Unfortunately, I can't really maximize the transit category (with train passes) as my company provides a pre-tax commuter benefit.

I do find the Chase Ink interesting, despite not really owning a business. My office recently phased out desk phones to go completely wireless and we use personal phones with a company subsidy. Technically, this would amount to a business need in conjunction with my home internet for working from home. The world has become oddly blurred when it comes to lines of work/home lately. But again, not really a business owner for the purpose of the card.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The BCP is a solid card. It will be interesting to see how it plays out with my new Freedom (which would get my 7.5% on groceries at least one qtr a year - via UR transfer to my CSR). Gas is still the best on that card, but may also change from the Freedom as well. 

Its always hassle, but some small planning ahead and rotating the cards in the wallet is something ive just gotten used to. I would check the BCE as well. To be honest, while I know the BCE would actually be a better fit for me at the moment, Ive had it for a long time and the small AF is worth it to keep the credit line I have avail. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.