Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally.. Love from GEMB!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally.. Love from GEMB!

It has been awhile since I have posted.. but just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to bounce back from Bankruptcy with some good cards!

I recently pulled my scores from this website:

TU 660

EQ 620

So, with these scores in mind I decided to try applying again at Target (I shop there ALOT!).. Came up to the register with about $60 worth of stuff.. and APPROVED for $700!

With this in mind I thought... what else could I get approved for with these scores?

Here is what I got approved for over the last couple of days:

Walmart/GEMB $400

CareCredit/GEMB $1000

Home Depot/GEMB $500

Amazon Store Card/GEMB $600

I was denied for these:

Lowes/GEMB

Barclay Apples Store Visa (too many inquiries.. tried to recon... but would not approve for 18 inquiries.. I know.. it's a lot!)

Done apping for now obviously.. I need all these inquiries to fall off...

BK was discharged in OCT 06 and I have established credit from Orchard Bank $520 BBRZ $300 FP $450 Capital One $500 and Sony Card from Capital One $750

There is hope everyone!

Katie

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Finally.. Love from GEMB!

Congrats! 

Ideally would avoid applying for any more low limit cards and as you say let inq fall off and score increase. 

Remember that overzealous app with marginal scores can lead to an overabundance of small CL ...this can make lenders wary of offering higher limits going forward. (not to mention wasted inq for 'too many inq' denials)

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think going on this app spree will prevent these cards from increasing my credit limits eventually? I guess I didn't really think about that when I did it... I hoped that if I got the cards and then used each of them every month that within a couple of years they would be willing to give me an increase.

Message 3 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you think going on this app spree will prevent these cards from increasing my credit limits eventually? I guess I didn't really think about that when I did it... I hoped that if I got the cards and then used each of them every month that within a couple of years they would be willing to give me an increase.

No...GEMB will generally increase over time with good behavior... however, if, just for eg. you decide you want Discover 18 mnths from now and have a whole a bunch of relatively low limit cards showing on your reports from this app spree then Discover won't have too much incentive to offer a good limit if approved since all you have showing are relatively lower limt GE products.  You got some nice cards, just treat them well and let your profile improve before shopping for any more credit.  Congrats once again!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the great advice.. This forum has brought my scores up from under 500 a couple of years ago to what I have now. I couldn't have done it without advice from people like you!

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the great advice.. This forum has brought my scores up from under 500 a couple of years ago to what I have now. I couldn't have done it without advice from people like you!

Thanks again!

I find this site and its contributors to be an invaluable resource too!  Keep up the good work ficokatie!!

Message 6 of 12
CCOCD
Valued Member

IMO Close Orchard asap.AF is crazy.Keep good with GEMB and they will increase about every 4 months.They have no AF and are good company.I have about 10 of their cards,some over 9 years old.Anytime I've had a problem with them,I have called and its been resolved immediately.

Good Luck

Starting Score: 672
Current Score: EQ ? TU 698
Goal Score: 725

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Also Home Depot is Citi not GEMB and they give VERY large CLI automatically just for using your card.... Everytime I have revolved a 0% charge I have gotten CLI in 4-6 intervals.

Congrats on all the other approvals though.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right.. I did not even realize Home Depot was CitiBank.. I am VERY surprised they approved me, especially with a BK and paid baddies. I only have a 2% util, but a lot of inquiries... 18... so maybe my util was considered in their approval.

I hope these are cards I can grow.. I mean... who doesn't need light bulbs? LOL?

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update for my posting.. Was approved for Lowes after I got a letter in the mail today asking for verification of my identity... Only a $400 CL, but I know that it will grow with me... No more apping for at least a year...

Also, I called yesterday to pay a random $34 medical bill on my creidt report.. The CSR said I really owed $387.. and I was dumbfounded as I had never recieved a bill. She had an address from 4 years ago, and I said that I had never gotten a bill. I asked her if I paid the whole balance if they would be deleted from my credit file.... TO my surprise she said YES since they had the wrong address... It is a good thing I called because she said the other bills were about to hit my credit report this month and would have messed up all the work I had done for the lst 3 years... SO EXCITED!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.