cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally approved for a Chase Freedom (3 recons later)

tag
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Finally approved for a Chase Freedom (3 recons later)

Just thought I'd share my lil story.

So I've started to rebuild from my BK that discharged 8/08. Back in 2010 I had gotten a credit one card and a Hooters card. I got laid off and the cards were charged off as a result. Since I had already had a BK I thought for sure that it was a wrap for me on the the credit front. Well since then I got a capital one card and I was able to stay consistent with that card and my employment situation improved gradually. I now own my own company and am making great $$$,$$$ . The first real step I took to rebuild once I got working again was get an auto loan with Chase in September 2011 on a used car. The rate they gave me was terrible 22.5% APR but at least I had a much needed car.  This year business really took off I made about $100K net in the first half and I was able to pick up a Chase INK card back in March this year. In April I traded in the used car I bought in September with Chase for a Brand new Truck and a much better APR (Toyota Financial Services). I was excited at the time I got the INK but when I asked for a personal card they turned me down mainly due to the charge offs and BK.

In April I also was able to get an NFCU card for $1500 which I just had a CLI to $5k last week. I was really excited about my progress and looking to get rid of my old capital one joke cards and start gardening because of all the inquiries I had (25+). So today I went to the branch to transfer money to a family member and the banker told me I had an "Invitiation to Apply for the freedom" I knew she was probably BS since I was shut down harshly months ago. Normally I would have just declined to try but I was in the right mood and she brought up a good point about how much $$$$$ I kept in the account consistently she seemed pretty confident that even if I were to get declined she could recon for me due to my account balance alone not to mention my good history with my previous Chase auto loan and Chase INK card. So I gave her the go ahead and she apped I was "Declined" and she tried to recon for me and I was still Declined citing my BK and charge offs from 2010. I said OK and left but it still bothered me that with all the $$$$ I had in chase and the fact that NFCU has been so great to me and I haven't deposited more then $5.00 in that account other then to pay my credit card charges. I thought I was going to try again. So I called in the backdoor number that 888-245-xxxx number and I was asked a few questions and the guy seemed rude and didnt seem to want to factor in any of my recent success in paying on time and what not he stated they would not issue a personal card to me because of the Charge offs and BK so I hung up. So now at this point I'm just about ready to start moving my $$$$ to NFCU just to stick it to Chase. Well I called them one more time on the other Back door number. And the guy that answerd simply asked me about why I had a BK. He put me on hold and a minute later came back and said "Congrats we can go ahead and approve you for $1,500.00 and you should receive the card in 2 weeks" I was instantly satisfied. I checked my online banking about an hour later and it showed up in my account details. I can say I'm glad I'm getting all this love these days!. I had to return to the branch to follow up on the transfer I requested earlier in the day and I saw the same banker and told her I got the card after all she was shocked and speechless. Not only did I get the card on my own I got it with 3x the amount she was trying for LOL. And then she had the nerve to ask me whether or not she got credit for it. I said I dunno. 

Bottom line dont give up guys!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Finally approved for a Chase Freedom (3 recons later)

Very awesome story!

Have you considered applying for the nfcu business card? Just wondering because I had considered applying for it in the past and wanted to know your thoughts
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

No I haven't at least not yet. I think it requires more docs like tax returns and I don't feel like dealing with that.

Message 3 of 9
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Great story! Congrats!!

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 4 of 9
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

Congrats , chase is great!

Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 5 of 9
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Congrats Only sad for me cause on recon I only got 500 stats 738 fico EQ TU EX 742 0ne cc 300 limit 0 balance 7 months of history no baddiesSmiley Sad

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 6 of 9
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

Annielorie. Sorry to hear that ask for another CLI? Perhaps its your income? My Score was 627 according to them yesterday.

Message 7 of 9
burnednotice
Established Member

congrats!

I was denied a Freedom card when they were offering a $300 cashback last winter. Calling the recon line brought up 2 CAs (which I have since removed) and an old Chase/amazon charge off...

I really wish I had the Freedom card as currently for the summer they offer 5% back on gas and restaurants!

Starting Score: (USAA FAKO scores)
ex:579 eq:585 tu:603

Current Score: (7/2012) ex: 585 eq:663 tu:603
(8/2012) ex: 657 eq: 673 tu: 671

Goal Score: 850+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
annielorie
Valued Contributor

I thought Id push lots through multiple pay and try in novemberSmiley Frustrated

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.