Did you mean: 

Finally axed capital one!

tag
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: Finally axed capital one!

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

I think the OP was a little impatient and went about it the wrong way.  Instead of axing the card, they should have PC'd it to a Quicksilver without the AF, then possible asked for an increase at a later date.  Capital One will only grant an increase every 6 months so OP closed the card with Cap One for nothing in my opinion but if they are okay with that then there is nothing else to discuss.

Congrats OP!

Thanks! I thought I was pretty patient.  The last increase I received was a year ago. I called and asked for a no Af card since my score has jumped tremendously from the time I started off with them.  It was my second card so at the time, it was a good idea.  Now that I think of it, I would have probably gone a different route.

I totally understand your thinking and why you did it.  It can be very frustrating when you have proven yourself to be a good customer but reap no rewards.  Right now, other than Discover, Cap One is my only rewards card but I plan to sock drawer them soon for a card that will at least give me 2% cash back instead of the 1.5%.  I will not close them at this point, however, but maybe a couple years down the line they may get the axe just for managment purposes.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 21 of 33
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Even without getting decent increases, I would have kept the card had they just upgraded me to the no AF card.  Can't justify paying that for the little rewards I was getting out of it.  Too many rewards to be had with my other cards that I was finally able to obtain.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 22 of 33
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Even without getting decent increases, I would have kept the card had they just upgraded me to the no AF card.  Can't justify paying that for the little rewards I was getting out of it.  Too many rewards to be had with my other cards that I was finally able to obtain.

Totally understandable.  I'm happy you have been able to move on to bigger and better.

Message 23 of 33
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I see you have the Hilton Honors Amex card.  Can I ask if you like it?  I am thinking about applying since they sent me an offer but I am unsure if it is worth it.  I even made a thread on it but unfortunately there have not been any responses as of yet.

Message 24 of 33
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

@A1Credit wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I see you have the Hilton Honors Amex card.  Can I ask if you like it?  I am thinking about applying since they sent me an offer but I am unsure if it is worth it.  I even made a thread on it but unfortunately there have not been any responses as of yet.

I love it!  I've been using it alot lately.  I typically use this one for Hilton travel (1-2x a month for the bonus points when using this card).  Love the upgraded status cause I don't travel enough to get Gold or higher.  The value is so so in terms of redemption if staying in the states so I plan to use the points for this when we go to Thailand next year.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Message 25 of 33
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

I love it!  I've been using it alot lately.  I typically use this one for Hilton travel (1-2x a month for the bonus points when using this card).  Love the upgraded status cause I don't travel enough to get Gold or higher.  The value is so so in terms of redemption if staying in the states so I plan to use the points for this when we go to Thailand next year.

Thanks for the reply!  So the redemption is better for out of the country?  That's good to know.  I'm sorry, can you clarify how often you travel?

Message 26 of 33
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

@A1Credit wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Thanks for the reply!  So the redemption is better for out of the country?  That's good to know.  I'm sorry, can you clarify how often you travel?

Yes. For the rooms we like in the USA, it seem sto be like 60-300K per night where if we go to Thailand, I can get a standard room (depending on dates) for anywhere from 30-40K a night.  I travel about 10-12x a year.  For status, everytime so far in the past year, I have been upgraded to either a bigger or nicer room upon arrival.  I was in DC by myself and booked a standard room but when I arrived, I was upgraded to the King Executive suite.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Message 27 of 33
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Yes. For the rooms we like in the USA, it seem sto be like 60-300K per night where if we go to Thailand, I can get a standard room (depending on dates) for anywhere from 30-40K a night.  I travel about 10-12x a year.  For status, everytime so far in the past year, I have been upgraded to either a bigger or nicer room upon arrival.  I was in DC by myself and booked a standard room but when I arrived, I was upgraded to the King Executive suite.

Very imformative!  So the card comes with perks?  You travel much more than I do at the moment but I may bite the bullet and apply.

Message 28 of 33
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Yes. That's probably the main perk though.  Status upgrade.  Also, if you stay at a Hilton a lot, you can double dip acquiring points.  Hotel and card.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Message 29 of 33
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@sdsoccerdad wrote:

Yes. That's probably the main perk though.  Status upgrade.  Also, if you stay at a Hilton a lot, you can double dip acquiring points.  Hotel and card.

What do you mean by double dip?

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.