Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got a pre-qual for Citi

tag
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Finally got a pre-qual for Citi

I have been going to the pre-qual sites ever since I started rebuilding 4+ years ago.

I finally got a pre-approval on the Citi site for the double cash.  Chase will elude me for another couple years (as I've opened new accounts here and there over the last couple years).

I'm not going to do anything about it as I'm in the garden and also paying off credit cards from my post-condo buying spree (furniture, water softener, I could go on for a while...).  I also really have all the credit I need.

Still!  Financial responsibility and all that work and stress while fixing the mess I'd made is showing results.  Feels nice.

Edit:  I just reviewed the page again, and it looks like they offered five cards (DC was at the top, but it said "see below for four additional offers" and they all had a definite interest rate, not a range).

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally got a pre-qual for Citi

@JayTee1 wrote:

I have been going to the pre-qual sites ever since I started rebuilding 4+ years ago.

I finally got a pre-approval on the Citi site for the double cash.  Chase will elude me for another couple years (as I've opened new accounts here and there over the last couple years).

I'm not going to do anything about it as I'm in the garden and also paying off credit cards from my post-condo buying spree (furniture, water softener, I could go on for a while...).  I also really have all the credit I need.

Still!  Financial responsibility and all that work and stress while fixing the mess I'd made is showing results.  Feels nice.

Edit:  I just reviewed the page again, and it looks like they offered five cards (DC was at the top, but it said "see below for four additional offers" and they all had a definite interest rate, not a range).

Congrats on the prequal, but take it from me, the proud owner of two prequal delcines: They're not guaranteed. Twice now I've been prequalified only to be shot down. Stay in the garden and get those inquiries off, and you'll be in a much better place for a decent approval. 

Message 2 of 11
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

As I said, I have no interest in applying.

I just enjoy the pre-approvals.

Message 3 of 11
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@JayTee1 wrote:

Hah!... this is me in a nutshell.

Every weekend I check to see if anyone 'loves' me more than they did 7 days ago on all the pre-qual sites. I don't need another card but golly-gee-whiz it's nice to see that the gardening is paying off without actually harvesting anything.

I get what you're saying JT and totally relate.  Grats on the Citi love!

Message 4 of 11
noobody
Established Contributor

I am at 850 and a citi premier with them, but can not get a stinky pre-qual.

"noobody, we couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 2 other cards you may like."

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 5 of 11
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

And also keep in mind I’ve never recieved a Card, other than Merrick, by being Pre-Qualifying Smiley Happy

Chase
Citi
AMEX
Cap1
Discover

No pre-qual and all instant approvals.

Good luck! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JayTee1 wrote:

LOL, same. Sometimes I wonder if its possible to wear out my welcome by viewing the prequals too often. Or spooking my current creditors by viewing too many prequals (although I do know they're only a SP, but still)

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the pre-approvals.  I have never gotten any pre-approvals but they did give me a Citi AAdvantage with a nice 5 digit limit.  I am going to apply in January for the Thank You Premier in January whether I  have a pre-qualify or not.  It is nice to see them. I see a pre-qualify for the Cap One Venture along with some US Bank cards but I won't apply for them but it makes me feel good that they are there.

Message 9 of 11
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JayTee1 wrote:

LOL, same. Sometimes I wonder if its possible to wear out my welcome by viewing the prequals too often. Or spooking my current creditors by viewing too many prequals (although I do know they're only a SP, but still)

I can't verify this, but I don't think the prequalification forms do an actual SP.  These companies have your some version of your credit report already on file that they've retrieved for marketing purposes or some other reason.  I don't know if they buy them in bulk or exactly how they get them, but I don't think it's an explicit pull at the time you check the prequalification.

In the Citi example for me, they probably have my report already because I have two other cards with them (BB visa and Home Depot).  Same with Capital One as I have two Cap One cards.

I think in cases where you're not already doing business with the company in question, they already have some copy of your report they use to see if you match any of their initial criteria.  This may explain why some people with great credit still can't prequalify; it's simply because the company has no way of looking at your credit report.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the gist of it.  (Think about the info you need to put in -- I'm not sure an SP can be done with just a partial of your security number.)  Don't know any of this as fact, I've just amassed bits of information over time, and that's my current undertanding.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.