cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally showing Citi pre-qualified offers...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally showing Citi pre-qualified offers...

Had my BBY Visa closed almost a year ago, due to high utilization/over limit, back before I discovered the forums here and learned how to properly manage my credit.  Never had any late payments with them.  Anyway, haven't showed any PQ's from them on this journey so far, so pretty happy to finally see one.  PQ is for the Costco Visa, APR of 16.49%, but I think that's the same for everyone.  This is definitely a card I want, but I think I'll wait for a little while, since I've added quite a few cards since June as well as a few just recently.  Anyone know what kind of SL's they usually hand out on this card?  Scores are right at the door to 700(EQ 698, TU 698 & EX 695), but should be slightly over 700 by the time I apply.  Will have 10-15 inquiries by then, but only a handful that will be less than a year.  Have lates on student loans, but in the process of hopefully having those removed.(EQ already deleted them, but waiting on the others)  A couple 30 day lates on a closed car loan as well, that are a couple years old.  Otherwise clean.  UTI is usually around 10-15% on $40k total credit line, with $100k income.  

7 REPLIES 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally showing Citi pre-qualified offers...

For what it's worth, the first two times I applied for the Costco Visa, I also had a preapproval for the card showing from Citi. Got denied both times. First time was for excessive credit obligations for stated income, and a negative item on my credit report. Still have no idea what they deemed excessive credit obligations, because all I had reporting were two car loans and a $300-something balance on one card. Second time I applied, I was told I had too many recent inquiries.

The third time I applied was last week, I had no preapproval, and I was finally approved with a 727 EX score and 90K income. I got a $5,500 starting limit, which is on the lower end for this card, but it will grow with SP CLI's. Credit Pulls Database shows the lowest approval amount at $3,000, but it could be lower. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  As I mentioned, I'll be waiting anyway, since they'd probably call me out on new accounts.  Just happy that something is showing up now.  Have been checking every few weeks since last May and have always had the "You're not pre-qualified for anything at this time, but(if you have HP's to burn) check out these cards below that you may be interested in"!  I'll take is as an acknowledgement from Citi that they like what they're seeing lately.  On th eother hand, if what' I'm hearing about Costco gas quality is true, I may have to rethink this card anyway.  That was my primary objective for the card.  I do shop there for other things, but probably only spend $100 or so a month.  The $24/year that would generate just isn't worth it, by itself.  I'm sure another Citi card might be worth it though.  I'll have to research some of them.  

Message 3 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

wrote:

Thanks.  As I mentioned, I'll be waiting anyway, since they'd probably call me out on new accounts.  Just happy that something is showing up now.  Have been checking every few weeks since last May and have always had the "You're not pre-qualified for anything at this time, but(if you have HP's to burn) check out these cards below that you may be interested in"!  I'll take is as an acknowledgement from Citi that they like what they're seeing lately.  On th eother hand, if what' I'm hearing about Costco gas quality is true, I may have to rethink this card anyway.  That was my primary objective for the card.  I do shop there for other things, but probably only spend $100 or so a month.  The $24/year that would generate just isn't worth it, by itself.  I'm sure another Citi card might be worth it though.  I'll have to research some of them.  

FYI, you don't have to fill up at Costco. You can use any gas station that codes as gas for the 4% cashback. I think even some 7-Elevens code as gas inside the store, for 4% cashback on purchases in there. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'll have to figure it out.  Might go with the NRA card to just get the 5%.  I also work in the firearms industry, so that has some secondary appeal as well.  

Message 5 of 8
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

We got a SL of 9.5 k. On our Costco Card.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's one thing I like about this card are the typically decent SL's.  Did you already have other CL's in that ballpark, or above?  Meaning, if I don't, is Citi willing to be the first?  My top is NFCU @$8700.  Funny thing is, I have an Amex BBP @$15k, but that won't show up on my CR.  That said, my Amex Delta and/or NFCU could be over $10k by the time I would apply.   

Message 7 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymous's one thing I like about this card are the typically decent SL's.  Did you already have other CL's in that ballpark, or above?  Meaning, if I don't, is Citi willing to be the first?  My top is NFCU @$8700.  Funny thing is, I have an Amex BBP @$15k, but that won't show up on my CR.  That said, my Amex Delta and/or NFCU could be over $10k by the time I would apply.   

Yep, I have several other 5K+ cards. You can see their limit history by hovering your mouse over the credit card pics in my signature.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.