Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut?

Hey guys,

I'm new here... and Fingerhut brought me here after doing research and reading reviews on this forum. I made some mistakes when I was younger, I'm 25 now, which mostly were due to being laid off when I was 19 from my job. I have some negative things on my credit report, mostly charge offs. I applied for a secured installment loan from my bank (Regions) for $300 and got approved. They secure the money from my savings account which I have a decent amount in (no credit card company would appove me for a secured credit card). So I've got the $300 put into a new account I opened and it's being auto drafted. It's basically for credit rebuilding. So the lady at the bank told me that was a good step and that after that was paid off (I'm doing 6 payments and not paying it off early) I might qualify for one of their credit cards which is great because she told me that different types of credit look good on my credit report. Well, I've been getting things in the mail from Finger Hut, and after reading stuff about credit rebuilding, I applied and got approved for the Fresh Start program thing. I got approved for $200 and I was hesitant on even buying anything because it was overpriced. I found something I needed (which was only a few dollars more on there than at Wal-Mart... I researched!) and spent the $50 requirement and paid my $30 down payment I only owe like $22 on it now. Where do I go from here? My sole purpose of opening the account was for positive credit. I've heard that it shows on your credit as an installment account until you get bumped up to the actual revolving credit account and I'm wanting different types of credit because I've heard that looks better. Just looking for some feedback Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fingerhut?

Just keep positive history going and eventually get some more positive tradelines going.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah so that's what TL means, I've been trying to get used to this credit lingo! Thanks Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:
Just keep positive history going and eventually get some more positive tradelines going.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut Fresh Start DOES appear as an installment loan, because essentially it is.  You can only place one order on it at a time and the order has to be paid in full before you can use it for another order or they graduate you to their revolving credit line.  So Fresh Start is not a credit card; it's a short term, low dollar loan.

Once you pay it off and they graduate you to the revolving credit line, it reports as an unsecured credit card.

Fingerhut is a good start for people who can't get approved for anything else because they approve virtually anyone and have a really easy to graduate program.  Stay the course there and in not too long you'll be able to get other credit products to build a better profile with.

Since you bank with Regions, let me suggest looking into the savings secured line of credit - it reports as revolving and you don't actually have to use it at all for it to report.  I've had mine since February and just have it set up as my overdraft protection (my savings account was my overdraft protection anyway so I just applied some of the money toward a credit product instead) so the chances of me tapping into it are slim to none, but it's been reporting as expected with a $0 balance.  My local Regions location hadn't done one before mine so you may want to apply online for it if you want to look into it.  They used to offer a secured credit card but don't anymore; it's been replaced by the savings secured installment loan and the savings secured line of credit.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw the Regions line of credit after I got approved for the installment loan, I wasn't sure what the difference was? Should I apply for that too for like... different types of credit purposes? I can secure it.

@Anonymous wrote:

Fingerhut Fresh Start DOES appear as an installment loan, because essentially it is.  You can only place one order on it at a time and the order has to be paid in full before you can use it for another order or they graduate you to their revolving credit line.  So Fresh Start is not a credit card; it's a short term, low dollar loan.

Once you pay it off and they graduate you to the revolving credit line, it reports as an unsecured credit card.

Fingerhut is a good start for people who can't get approved for anything else because they approve virtually anyone and have a really easy to graduate program.  Stay the course there and in not too long you'll be able to get other credit products to build a better profile with.

Since you bank with Regions, let me suggest looking into the savings secured line of credit - it reports as revolving and you don't actually have to use it at all for it to report.  I've had mine since February and just have it set up as my overdraft protection (my savings account was my overdraft protection anyway so I just applied some of the money toward a credit product instead) so the chances of me tapping into it are slim to none, but it's been reporting as expected with a $0 balance.  My local Regions location hadn't done one before mine so you may want to apply online for it if you want to look into it.  They used to offer a secured credit card but don't anymore; it's been replaced by the savings secured installment loan and the savings secured line of credit.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw the Regions line of credit after I got approved for the installment loan, I wasn't sure what the difference was? Should I apply for that too for like... different types of credit purposes? I can secure it.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, did the secured credit line help your credit?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment loans and revolving lines report differently, because with an installment loan you have a fixed loan amount and a fixed payment while a line of credit can be borrowed from, paid back and borrowed from again without applying again.  They report differently.

Up to you whether you want to set it up or not but since you mentioned that you were having trouble getting approved for a secured credit card, a secured LOC reports similarly and can help build that positive revolving credit history so that you will be in a better position to apply for a credit card in the next several months.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Installment loans and revolving lines report differently, because with an installment loan you have a fixed loan amount and a fixed payment while a line of credit can be borrowed from, paid back and borrowed from again without applying again.  They report differently.

Up to you whether you want to set it up or not but since you mentioned that you were having trouble getting approved for a secured credit card, a secured LOC reports similarly and can help build that positive revolving credit history so that you will be in a better position to apply for a credit card in the next several months.

I feel like I should apply for it because it shows diversity on my credit report, yet I don't wanna get denied for it and it show up as if I was trying lol. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't win it if you're not in it.
Message 9 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm new here... and Fingerhut brought me here after doing research and reading reviews on this forum. I made some mistakes when I was younger, I'm 25 now, which mostly were due to being laid off when I was 19 from my job. I have some negative things on my credit report, mostly charge offs. I applied for a secured installment loan from my bank (Regions) for $300 and got approved. They secure the money from my savings account which I have a decent amount in (no credit card company would appove me for a secured credit card). So I've got the $300 put into a new account I opened and it's being auto drafted. It's basically for credit rebuilding. So the lady at the bank told me that was a good step and that after that was paid off (I'm doing 6 payments and not paying it off early) I might qualify for one of their credit cards which is great because she told me that different types of credit look good on my credit report. Well, I've been getting things in the mail from Finger Hut, and after reading stuff about credit rebuilding, I applied and got approved for the Fresh Start program thing. I got approved for $200 and I was hesitant on even buying anything because it was overpriced. I found something I needed (which was only a few dollars more on there than at Wal-Mart... I researched!) and spent the $50 requirement and paid my $30 down payment I only owe like $22 on it now. Where do I go from here? My sole purpose of opening the account was for positive credit. I've heard that it shows on your credit as an installment account until you get bumped up to the actual revolving credit account and I'm wanting different types of credit because I've heard that looks better. Just looking for some feedback Smiley Happy

Fingerhut is a good way to go for someone with your credit profile.    The suggestion of Regions mentioned above is good, too.   You may also want to look into SDFCU's secured card, as they don't pull CRs to open (IIRC, they do pull Chexsystems to open an account with them, however).

You may also want to post in our Rebuilding Your Credit forum.   There are ways to address your charge-offs and other baddies.   Good luck!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.