Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier No CLI

tag
JayDilla
Valued Member

First Premier No CLI

Well I applied and got a first premier card in may of 2008. I payed little more then the minimum due for maybe 5 months then when i had the extra money payed the balance off in full. They called me said i was eligible for a second card with a higher limit. So i got the second card. Next month will be 2 years I have had my first card with them never been late, but everytime i apply for a CLI they deny me. Sorta wierd how im good enough for a second card with a higher limit but cant get the first one past 200 even though next month will be 2 years with perfect payment history with them.

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: First Premier No CLI

How much do they charge you to increase the CL?

Message 2 of 11
mross1080
Established Contributor

I have a First Permier and when I hit 6 months about a month ago I submitted the CLI on the wesite and about 3 days later it went from 200 to 350 and charged a 25 dollar fee for it.

Message 3 of 11
defserv
Established Member

Mross.. Wait for your denial letter in the mail... more than likely it'll say they only allow increases once per year. that was the case for me anyway. goodluck

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you should focus your money and time towards fixing your derogatory items on your credit reports than trying to get increases with first premier. If you mind paying for an increase then maybe you shouldn't be using the card so much. Don't they charge a monthly fee? I say just let the monthly fee charge every month and pay that only. Put first premier in the drawer and use cash! Over time you'll get better cards.
Message 5 of 11
JayDilla
Valued Member

I actually have been working on the deragatories. I have payed off 5 collections in the last 3 months, and 1 pfd. Of course they didnt even mark the collection i did the pfd as even paid..had to dispute it with equifax, and just last week i noticed it;s removed from my CR. But I dont make alot of money so when i focus on paying the collection off then my balances run up on my credit cards.So, since i focused on collections for 3 months in a row i figure ill pay off the balances on my CC's next month. Alot of my colllections are medicals some have not ha ve not been updated for 5 years. I don't think I want to mess with those since they will drop off my report in 2 years anyway.

Message 6 of 11
JayDilla
Valued Member

I ahve had first premier for about 5 years. The one account that is 5 years old has 2 late payments. I ran a balance like you for some time and then ban apayed off in full. CL of $200. They then contacted me and told me same thing. I was eligible for an additional card with a higher limit....$300. I took the card. So anyway I ahev had the $200 card for 5 years and have been denied for a CLI everytime. This is just a business model for FP to get you on another card to pay the annual fee and the mothly participation fee.  I have had several people on the board here tell me to drop them since now i have a credit line with Ge capitol for my new walmart card. The problem is for people rebuilding their credit first premier is usually their longest credit line and would drop their score to drop them. So I am personally going to wait. I have about 5 more collections on my CR that will fall off next year. I have walmart 2 first premiers 1 capitol one secured billmelater applied bank orchard bank....my utilization is high so i figure i am gonna hammer those down with my income tax return see what that brings my score and figure if dropping FP is a good thing or not. Anyway thats my experience with FP and my credit situation if that helps you in figuring out what you want to do.

Message 7 of 11
teddybearkelli1
Contributor

I had 2 First Premiers since 2000 to help rebuild credit. My limits went from 350 to 3500 each and I receiced increases every 6 mos. To a year and also had the monthly fees lowered significantly automatically. However.. I have never been late and always paid n full except for 1 month per year when id carry a small balance. I just closed mine 2 mos ago but they served their purpose.

FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 18k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 13k, NFCU NR MC 10k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 11.5k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 14k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 16k, JCPenneys MC 7k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS MC 5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 6.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 5k, Macys 2k, Vystar CU Visa 5k
Message 8 of 11
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

op brought back own thread from 2 years ago! 

closing a card doesnt hurt your score. 

if its closed in good standing it reports good for 10 years before it falls off. (so right before the card falls off it will have 15 years of history not just 5)

it drops the util rate and such but if you have other cards i wouldnt worry too much about. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 11
lithium78
Established Contributor

@JayDilla wrote:

I ahve had first premier for about 5 years. The one account that is 5 years old has 2 late payments. I ran a balance like you for some time and then ban apayed off in full. CL of $200. They then contacted me and told me same thing. I was eligible for an additional card with a higher limit....$300. I took the card. So anyway I ahev had the $200 card for 5 years and have been denied for a CLI everytime. This is just a business model for FP to get you on another card to pay the annual fee and the mothly participation fee.  I have had several people on the board here tell me to drop them since now i have a credit line with Ge capitol for my new walmart card. The problem is for people rebuilding their credit first premier is usually their longest credit line and would drop their score to drop them. So I am personally going to wait. I have about 5 more collections on my CR that will fall off next year. I have walmart 2 first premiers 1 capitol one secured billmelater applied bank orchard bank....my utilization is high so i figure i am gonna hammer those down with my income tax return see what that brings my score and figure if dropping FP is a good thing or not. Anyway thats my experience with FP and my credit situation if that helps you in figuring out what you want to do.

Closed credit cards stay on your report for ten years, so closing the card shoudn't affect your AAoA.  You should absolutely get rid of FP the first opportunity you get.  They are vampires that suck people dry when they are vulnerable.  Getting rid of FP won't negatively affect your credit.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.