Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First credit card Suggestions???

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: First credit card Suggestions???

Check out www.whogavemecredit.com I think you will be able to answer your own question.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also any info on the Discover more card...would this be an option as well? thanks again

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom is not the easiest card to get. Chase can be fussy. They want to see a minimum of 1-2 years credit history (I just had discussion with them about this for my daughter). I wouldn't apply for that yet.

I prefer the Freedom over the Discover card. A lot of people have had a lot of luck with Discover approvals lately however. I do like the rotating 5% rewards.

Discover is still considered a prime card. You can see if you are pre-approved on their website. So long as you have some credit history and a score, you have a shot with Discover. My daughter currently attends a 2 year school, so they would not give her the student Discover. However, they did give her the regular MORE card with a 1000CL. Not too shabby for a 19 year old.

Cap1 is probably the easiest bank to get a card with. My daughter started with a Cap1 card, and at 4 months later got the Zync, then  at 6 months got Citi Forward and Discover and one store card.

You have had a gas card for 8 months, so I think you could get Zync.  Zync is the easiest AMEX to get. 

If it were me, I would start with the Zync, and then if approved, try for Discover. If denied both, then Cap1 as last resort and then no more apps!

I am sure some will disagree. 

Message 13 of 17
shane82388
Established Contributor

I personally wouldnt apply for a Chase Freendom or any other prime bank credit card like that if i didnt even have a card yet...

Have you tried the pre-approval thing on Capital One? Orchard Bank? American Express? Discover?

Try those out before you actually apply so you can get a feel if you are pre-approved for anything...if not, then id try to get something like a CapOne or Orchard Bank basic card just to get more than one revovling credit line showing which could increase your chaces of getting a real card.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPROVED

Hey guys, I was feeling good and applied for american express gold card and I got approved. Thanks for all the input.

I would like to eventually move from this charge card to another american express credit card. Any suggestions on how to go about this and how long to wait?

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: APPROVED

Congrats!!! That is great!

With Amex, you cannot do a product change from a charge card to a credit card. 

If you were looking at an AMEX credit card, it will require another application (and another hard pull since you did not apply for both at same time).

I would probably wait 6 months to establish some hx with Amex. The charge cards are a little easier to get than the credit cards.

What other Amex card are you interested in?

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: APPROVED

Thank you. I would most likely go for the Blue Sky or Blue Cash cards. I will probably wait about a year before applying for one.  I just want to try and avoid the big annual fee that kicks in next year with the gold.  I figure I have the best shot at getting accepted with american express since I am going to build a relationship with them this year. However, even with an actual credit card, I plan on paying off in full every month (unless theres an emergency).  My credit score is in the 700's currently, but I want to build a stronger history since I plan on buying a house in a 2-3 years.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.