cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First ever travel card mail offer post CSP. How?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First ever travel card mail offer post CSP. How?

Not really sure how this can happen, so hopefully those in the know here can weigh in. 

I've never received a travel card offer.  Ever.  In fact, I've rarely received CC offers at all in the last 6-10 months once my scores all got above 740 or 750.  When my scores were in the mid 600's I was getting 3-4 offers a week.  With my average score of around 800 now, I'm lucky if I receive 3-4 mailings per month.  Again, never has one been for a travel card.

Earlier this month on 5/2 I picked up the CSP card.  This is my first travel card.  The account was just reported by Chase today, so as far as I know any other creditors would not have known about it until today.  According to monitoring software, the account was just reported as "Chase Card" so it doesn't even indicate which version it is, so from looking at the reported info there's no way of knowing it's the CSP.  The inquiry I received back on 5/2 simply is "Chase Bank" where again, from looking just at the inquiry I don't think one would know which Chase product I was apping for. 

It seems like far too much of a coincidence that today in the mail I received my first ever travel card offer for the Capital One Venture.  My basic question here is how did Capital One know so quickly that I recently scooped up my first travel card from another creditor?  I would think this is information that Capital One was seeking out, rather than information that Chase was putting out there, as why would Chase want to push the competition? 

Any insight as to how this works would be very interesting to me!

16 REPLIES 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First ever travel card mail offer post CSP. How?

Cap1 doesn't know they don't share information as the aren't partners and wouldn't share this data (cap1 and chase).  Just coinncidence and I wouldn't consider a venture a travel card persay either it is certianly advertised as one it is just a limited 2% card back on travel or GC's

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the envelope it's definitely marketed as a travel card.

You really think this was just a coincidence?  Now that I think of it, not only have I never received a travel card offer before but I'm not sure I've even received a CO offer at all in the last year.  It just seems extremely odd to me that I'd receive a travel card offer for the first time 3 weeks after apping for my first travel card.  I suppose anything is possible.  If I get any other travel card offers, though, I think that would be more than enough data to deduce that the CSP app had something to do with it.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You really think this was just a coincidence?  Now that I think of it, not only have I never received a travel card offer before but I'm not sure I've even received a CO offer at all in the last year.  It just seems extremely odd to me that I'd receive a travel card offer for the first time 3 weeks after apping for my first travel card.  I suppose anything is possible.  If I get any other travel card offers, though, I think that would be more than enough data to deduce that the CSP app had something to do with it.

Capital One has no idea exactly what cards you have.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing I was just thinking of was purchases.  Only 1 time did I swipe a card in the last 6 months for a hotel.  It was back in February when I went on a business trip.  The plane tickets were purchased by my boss, but I expensed the hotel which was a $900 swipe.  I used my Discover card for that transaction, so I could only see a Discover offer coming as a result of it.  I think I used my Discover card for my swipes while away on that trip as well, although that probably doesn't matter.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't think they would... which is why this is rather curious to me.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't think they would... which is why this is rather curious to me.

Someone at Chase is doing an inside job at Cap1! Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 17
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another thing I was just thinking of was purchases.  Only 1 time did I swipe a card in the last 6 months for a hotel.  It was back in February when I went on a business trip.  The plane tickets were purchased by my boss, but I expensed the hotel which was a $900 swipe.  I used my Discover card for that transaction, so I could only see a Discover offer coming as a result of it.  I think I used my Discover card for my swipes while away on that trip as well, although that probably doesn't matter.

I think it's possible that either the hotels or the booking sites (if you booked somewhere other than the hotels own website) could have shared information with Capital One.  I agree that Capital One could not have gotten information from other lenders they are not partners with.

Message 8 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Just curious BBS, have you filled out any prequals lately just to see if you were prequaled or had you been searching travel cards. Im not sure but last week i was messing around just seeing if i was prequaled for anything from Citi, no i wasnt , but then like 2 days later they send me a targeted offer for 60k miles on the AAdvantage card. Weird to me but just a thought.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesnt matter what CapOne calls the card, the Venture is not a true travel card.  Take my word for it.  I have the Venture and about 15 real travel cards.  CapOne has just marketed the points you get as 'miles' when their nothing more than a $.01 cash back point.  This isn't directed at you because a lot of people call the Venture a travel card but if you called it that on a site that deals with travelers like FlyerTalk, the laughing would never stop.  

It's purely a coincidence that you received the offer.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.