Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First "Big Girl Card": Question about making payments

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

First "Big Girl Card": Question about making payments

I am the proud new owner of a NFCU Visa Signature Cash Rewards card. I plan to use this card for pretty much everything, then pay it off at statement time every month.

Having never had a bank-issued "Big Girl Card" before, I'm curious about the process for making a payment. I go to the NFCU site, navigate to my card, and I don't see anything there that says "Make a Payment", such as you'd see on Chase.com or CapOne's website. It looks like it treats the card like another banking account: Checking, Savings, Credit Card, and that you don't actually make 'payments', but instead transfer money TO that 'account'. I have already taken steps to set up two of my primary bank accounts (at another institution) so that I can transfer between them and NFCU, just in case that's how this does work.

Is this accurate, or am I just not seeing a "Make a Payment" link/button because the account is so new? I used it for the first time yesterday. Next statement is due to post 11/18.

I know I'm being a bit obsessive about this, but I want to be prepared, and I plan on taking very good care of this account forever and ever. Heart

Thanks!

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: First "Big Girl Card": Question about making payments

I don't have a NFCU account, but Penfed is like this as well, to pay you "transfer" from bank account to credit card.

Message 2 of 10
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Visa Siggy buddy!

You should see a payment button eventually. It's the same as making a transfer tho. This is my first time also having a credit card at my bank, and it's super convenient not waiting days for payments to post.

[edit: I misunderstood the question. But you should see a pay now button eventually. ] 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 3 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

Transfer Smiley Happy I use mine and then transfer money at the end of each day! Congrats

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 10
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

I have the 'make a payment' option under my 'transfers' tab. It shows as a drop down menu when you click the tab or hover the mouse over it, can't remember.

It may be different on newer site though, they are currently updating it. I'm still on the older version.
EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 5 of 10
klondike
Valued Member

You can use transer or use the payment option, it works the same way. I have all of my accounts with them and I typically use the transer option.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
blondy250
Established Contributor

Citibank is also like this, the transfer option is faster.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on your approval! Looks like all that gardening paid off. Time to turn back to a seedling. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 10
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Well yesterday was the day! I received an email saying that my statement for the Visa Signature card was ready to be viewed.

I popped over and took a look at it, and then (thanks to all of your great input here!) I set up a xfer from my 'regular' bank (Huntington) to the Visa card account. I had already set up the external bank xfer capability for three external accounts earlier in the month.

Checked in this morning and the xfer is complete! That was FAST and wonderful!

I have a 'spare' checking account at Huntington, and every time we use the NFCU Visa card, I xfer that amount from my primary Huntington checking to my spare Huntington checking. It's easy, and then when the statement comes, the funds to pay it off are all right there and ready to send.

Plus, I xferred my cash back for the month to my NFCU savings account. Yay!

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 9 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Congratulations on your approval! Looks like all that gardening paid off. Time to turn back to a seedling. Smiley Wink

Haha, nice hint there Smiley Wink

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.