cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time posting! Looking for what to do next.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time posting! Looking for what to do next.

Hi!!

I have been a reader of this forum for about a year and a half but have never joined until now.

Here are a list of my current cards:
Discover it chrome: $1256.80/7500 (BT)
Amex Delta gold: $172.80/$1000
USB Cash +: $1132.70/$3000
USB Platinum: $4473.21/6000 (just did a BT to this card, that is why it is so high)
Citi DC: $386.50/3800
AFCU: $0/3,000
MFCU: $696.03/1000
Victorias Secret: $56/850

Lines of credit:
AFCU: $0/$1000
USB (Just the reserve line) $0/$1000

Also have a car loan that just turned 1 year old.

The only true credit score I have to reference is my USB latest pull for an app, and that was 710 TransUnion.

I am 24 with 35k income.

TU has 4 inquiries and Equifax has 1.
AaofA is 2 years.

Overall util is 28%.

The other two scores I would have to go off of would be from credit karma, which from what I read here, is not super accurate.

I am not planning on getting any more cards, but I am considering cancelling my AMEX. I didn't get the 61 day CLI, and from what I have read on here, I barely got in with my $1000 SL. I already got my miles bonus... Just not seeing any point to the card with that low of CL and where I already got the SUB.

Citi will get paid down to $0 on thursday.

No late payments /derogs. (Ever)

I am planning to garden, as the product I am hoping to get in a year or so is the premier line with USB. I was denied for it recently and it is a product I would really like to have, so I recently switched all of my banking over to USB, as their banker told me that will increase my chances. Planning to reapply for that in a year.

So should I cancel my AMEX? What are your thoughts on this?

All other cards have been pretty decent with their CLI'S...
Discover gave me my highest SL of $4500 and it has gone to $7500 in less than a year
Citi SL was $1800 and now $3800
USB Cash + was $500 and now $3000
AFCU was $1000 and is now $3000
VS was $700 and now $850

I recently closed Wells Fargo platinum that was $0/2500 and capital one that was $0/750 (that card never grew much so I cut it, $750 CL is not even useful)

Any other tips/advice?

Thanks!!!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: First time posting! Looking for what to do next.

Welcome to the myFICO forums!

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi!!

I have been a reader of this forum for about a year and a half but have never joined until now.

Here are a list of my current cards:
Discover it chrome: $1256.80/7500 (BT)
Amex Delta gold: $172.80/$1000
USB Cash +: $1132.70/$3000
USB Platinum: $4473.21/6000 (just did a BT to this card, that is why it is so high)
Citi DC: $386.50/3800
AFCU: $0/3,000
MFCU: $696.03/1000
Victorias Secret: $56/850

Lines of credit:
AFCU: $0/$1000
USB (Just the reserve line) $0/$1000

Also have a car loan that just turned 1 year old.

The only true credit score I have to reference is my USB latest pull for an app, and that was 710 TransUnion.

I am 24 with 35k income.

TU has 4 inquiries and Equifax has 1.
AaofA is 2 years.

Overall util is 28%.

The other two scores I would have to go off of would be from credit karma, which from what I read here, is not super accurate.

I am not planning on getting any more cards, but I am considering cancelling my AMEX. I didn't get the 61 day CLI, and from what I have read on here, I barely got in with my $1000 SL. I already got my miles bonus... Just not seeing any point to the card with that low of CL and where I already got the SUB.

Citi will get paid down to $0 on thursday.

No late payments /derogs. (Ever)

I am planning to garden, as the product I am hoping to get in a year or so is the premier line with USB. I was denied for it recently and it is a product I would really like to have, so I recently switched all of my banking over to USB, as their banker told me that will increase my chances. Planning to reapply for that in a year.

So should I cancel my AMEX? What are your thoughts on this?

Rather than cancelling your AMEX, I would product change your line of credit to another AmEx product without an annual fee.

All other cards have been pretty decent with their CLI'S...
Discover gave me my highest SL of $4500 and it has gone to $7500 in less than a year
Citi SL was $1800 and now $3800
USB Cash + was $500 and now $3000
AFCU was $1000 and is now $3000
VS was $700 and now $850

I recently closed Wells Fargo platinum that was $0/2500 and capital one that was $0/750 (that card never grew much so I cut it, $750 CL is not even useful)

Any other tips/advice?

Thanks!!!

When you are digging yourself out of debt, you need a buffer from getting deeper into debt. An emergency fund can keep you afloat in a time of need without having to rely on credit cards or high-interest loan.

An emergency fund is a savings account with money set aside to cover large, unexpected expenses such as an emergency room visit; home-appliance repair or replacement; major car repairs; and the most costly of all, unemployment.

How much should you put aside? The rule of thumb is to have enough cash to cover three to six months of living expenses. If you lose your job you can use this money to pay for necessities while looking for a new one or the cash could supplement your unemployment benefits.

To figure out how much you should have in your emergency fund, add up your monthly bills: rent or mortgage payment; utility payments such as gas, electric, water, garbage; phone, cable and internet; insurance payments such as car, health and home; transportation costs such as car payment, gas, public transit; debt payments such as minimum credit card and all loans except for mortgage; grocery expenses; and other recurring monthly expenses.

Having even $500 saved can get you out of many financial scrapes. Put something away now, and build your fund over time.

How to build up an emergency fund -
- Start a budget and set a monthly savings goal - set up direct deposit to an emergency savings account.
- If there is money left at the end of a pay period, move some into your emergency savings account.
- If there is no money left, cut your expenses. Don't eat out, save leftovers, bring lunch to work, bring coffee from home, spend evenings at home and carpool.
- Get a second job or sell unused belongings to build your emergency savings account.
- Continue to assess your financial situation and adjust accordingly.

Nearly 80 percent of American workers say they’re living paycheck to paycheck, according to a recent survey. Remember that credit is a tool and relying on credit cards for funding emergencies is no different than relying on a gun for when you need cash. Both can be dangerous if not used wisely.

Let your current tradelines age and increase your average age of accounts. No new hard inquiries which mean no new applications. Work on credit line increases that only require soft inquiries. Reduce the balances on your cards. Take care of any derogatories on your credit bureau files (if any). Try to negotiate lower APRs on your credit cards. This is what credit gardening is all about.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Medic981 +1

Try and pay off cards that you csan, start practicing pif and saveSmiley Happy I wish i could save money. I would definetly place that above credit cards but alas...Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 14
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Welcome new visitor!!! I would suggest not closing any cards if they don't have an annual fee. Just place them in the "sock drawer" and not use them. Also, I would not carry a balance on so many cards. It could be hurting your score, in that more than half of your cards have a balance. I know there is a specific number, but someone else hopefully will chime in on that. Also, like previously stated, pay down your balances. That utilization drop will help as well... Good luck!!!   Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 4 of 14
800who
Regular Contributor

With all the different balances I would highly suggest the famous Dave Ramsey "snowball" method... min payments on all cards except card with smallest balance and throw all available money to that card until PIF, and then move on to next smallest balance... and repeat! Cut spending, increase income... no unnecessary spending, beans & rice, rice & beans Smiley Wink

P.S

welcome to the forums!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not close it. You can PC it to no AF delta blue (after AF posting). This way you keep access to amex offers, and retain a relationship with amex.

Message 6 of 14
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Echoing the advice from all the posters above. 

Best of luck OP and keep us posted with your credit journey!

Oh and welcome to the forum as an official member!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 14
sarge12
Senior Contributor

OP...For now, my sole question is why is this statement there...

You can get free experian fico 08 scores from both www.creditscorecard.com and usa.experian.com, it is something you might want to do since it is free, and if you stagger the two you can get the experian score twice per month. Also you should be getting a free monthly TU fico 08 score from the Discover IT online account. The Citi DC card site provides the EQ fico bankcard 08 score for free as well...it is not the more widely used classic fico 08 and has a max of 900, but it tracks fairly well with the classic. That should supply you with at least 1 fico score from all 3 CRA's.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I wasn't sure if those were accurate! Discover shows 724 and Citi shows 720 😊
Message 9 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP and welcome to MyFICO

You've gotten some excellent advice here and I want to add one more reason for not closing your AmX. First, you're taking it personally that you have a 1K limit and didn't get your 61-day, 3X CLI. It's just an algorithm decision. Hold on to that card. Another thing you said, "well you got your SUB so you can close the card." Down the road, you may see another AmX card with a SUB. I'm not saying this would happen but you don't want AmX to view you as someone who only want their SUBs and then close the card. So you didn't get a CLI this time; maybe you'll get it next time.

Second, I agree with everyone else--having a balance report on more than half of your cards is not a good look. What did you decline letter from AmX say?

Finally, the UT on some cards are high even though your aggregate is in okay shape and you just did BTs. IMHO, get these balances to less than 28.9% as soon as you can before you overextend yourself.

USB Cash +: $1132.70/$3000 - UT 37%
USB Platinum: $4473.21/6000 - UT 75%
MFCU: $696.03/1000 - UT 70%

And if the BTs are 0% promos, I suggest dividing the balance by the duration and pay that amount monthly (not the minimum payment) so that at the end of the promo, the balance is paid in full. I'll use USB Platinum as an example. Let's say it's at 0% promo for 12 months. Pay $372.75/month so it's paid off before promo expiration.

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.