cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida Tropical Financial 3% Mastercard...

tag
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Florida Tropical Financial 3% Mastercard...

Message 31 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does that mean lowered for existing cardholders from 3 points to 1 point, or new applicants?  It doesn't clearly state in that article.  If it's for current cardholders, that's quite a letdown.  I mean, at least lower it to the more "standard" 1.5; all the way to 1 makes it essentially obsolete.

Message 32 of 45
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does that mean lowered for existing cardholders from 3 points to 1 point, or new applicants?  It doesn't clearly state in that article.  If it's for current cardholders, that's quite a letdown.  I mean, at least lower it to the more "standard" 1.5; all the way to 1 makes it essentially obsolete.

Yes, that sucks if true. This is one of the reasons I continue use my other 3% category cards in case that happens with AOD. USAlliance has the language of their 3% being a limited time thing as well, though as of now it appears to be going strong. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 33 of 45
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that sucks if true. This is one of the reasons I continue use my other 3% category cards in case that happens with AOD. USAlliance has the language of their 3% being a limited time thing as well, though as of now it appears to be going strong. 

I think no bank wants to payout 3% to it's customers with no return. Like everything in this game of credit, the bank needs the right amount of interest paying customers who do not default, to keep any 3% card allive. I suspect that is why USAlliance have the limited time language. They give it a 2-3 year trial period, and if they can't get the right mix of customers on the books, they'll axe it. 3% is after all, an advertising number. They want to attract people to the card and to USAlliance other products, but the profitability has to come from reliable interest paying customers.

Message 34 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think no bank wants to payout 3% to it's customers with no return. Like everything in this game of credit, the bank needs the right amount of interest paying customers who do not default, to keep any 3% card allive. I suspect that is why USAlliance have the limited time language. They give it a 2-3 year trial period, and if they can't get the right mix of customers on the books, they'll axe it. 3% is after all, an advertising number. They want to attract people to the card and to USAlliance other products, but the profitability has to come from reliable interest paying customers.

I agree.  So remember to keep your favorite 2% card active as backup!   (They seems to be enough history now to suggest that 2% IS sustainable)

Message 35 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree.  So remember to keep your favorite 2% card active as backup!   (They seems to be enough history now to suggest that 2% IS sustainable)

Yep, 1-2% seems to be the sustainable range. I never thought 3%+ was and was offered to gain market share in the exploding rewards card market.

Message 36 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about 2.5%?  I feel like you don't see that often.  I mean, there's plenty of 1.5%-2% cards.  Why these attempts to go to 3% which clearly isn't sustainable.  It would seem 2.5% would be a better target number to attempt.  I get it that "3% sounds better" but if it's not going to last/work, who cares.

Message 37 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How about 2.5%?  I feel like you don't see that often.  I mean, there's plenty of 1.5%-2% cards.  Why these attempts to go to 3% which clearly isn't sustainable.  It would seem 2.5% would be a better target number to attempt.  I get it that "3% sounds better" but if it's not going to last/work, who cares.

Wonder what the average merchant fee is (Visa/Mastercard). I would think 2.3% might be in the ballpark. Some of the smaller merchants get hammered with 3.5%+. The banks have to split the fee too so there isn't much left if they want to minimize losses or make money on transactors and rely less on revolvers. 

Message 38 of 45
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote  :  So remember to keep your favorite 2% card active as backup!   (They seems to be enough history now to suggest that 2% IS sustainable)

When I started remaking my card lineup two and a half years ago, my best uncapped and uncategorized cards were Capital One Quicksilver and Chase Freedom Unlimited earning 1.5% back each. Smiley Indifferent  Meh ...  Twenty years ago, that would have been outstanding but I can do better today.

Now I have tons of options that pay 2% to 3%, uncapped and uncategorized.   Even 2% is meh now, but backups are important!  

• 3.00%:   AOD FCU Visa
  • 3.00%   Goldman Sachs Apple at selected merchants
  • 2.625%: Bank of America Premium Rewards (with Platinum Honors)
  • 2.25%   Chase Freedom Unlimited (transferred to CSR for UR travel)
  • 2.00%   Goldman Sachs Apple when using Apple Pay
  • 2.00%   PenFed Power Cash Rewards

The best thing is that, since I came to My Fico, I know what other options there are where I could get 2% or better if I need another card.  Even if all the others above were nerfed for some reason, I could build another outstanding lineup.  Thanks to My Fico Community!  Smiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 39 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or even CB card that followed the Citi DC platform, but instead 1% + 1%, it was 1.5% + 1%... call it the Bonus Cashback card or something that pays that standard 1.5% back for every purchase but gives a Bonus Cashback of 1% more when you pay it off.  I feel like that gimmicky stuff works a lot of the time.  For Transactors it would be great and Revolvers would feel like they're getting their 1.5% and can roll paying interest for however long they want and get an extra 1% when they finally pay it off.  The interest would quickly erode away that extra 1%, so I feel like the lender would make out pretty well.

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.