Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Fluz App Rewards Change - Paypal Key

@imaximous wrote:

I just also noticed they have more GCs in the "Office" category.
Really interesting they added Apple to the list. 
That could work out to 2.5% on Fluz plus 5% Chase Ink. Plus the possibility to stack with other portals when buying an Apple product. 

I'm gonna start playing around with some small GCs to make sure they code properly. 

That's what I'm doing... BBVA codes 'regular' Walmart as grocery, so if the MCC passes all the way through correctly that could be interesting (and even more so using the Key). 

I'm also curious about Walmart Business (Fluz codes as 5111)... assuming (???) those are interchangeable with regular WM gift cards and the MCC codes correctly that could be interesting to some.

Message 11 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

That could work out to 2.5% on Fluz plus 5% Chase Ink. Plus the possibility to stack with other portals when buying an Apple product. 

I'm gonna start playing around with some small GCs to make sure they code properly. 

That's what I'm doing... BBVA codes 'regular' Walmart as grocery, so if the MCC passes all the way through correctly that could be interesting (and even more so using the Key). 

I'm also curious about Walmart Business (Fluz codes as 5111)... assuming (???) those are interchangeable with regular WM gift cards and the MCC codes correctly that could be interesting to some.

Yes. That was already there for some time. I've used Ink for Walmart Business and Amazon Business. When I got the message about that a while back, they said Amazon Biz, Walmart Biz, Office Depot and Staples. The rest of GCs on that list are more recent.

Message 12 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

Yes. That was already there for some time. I've used Ink for Walmart Business and Amazon Business. When I got the message about that a while back, they said Amazon Biz, Walmart Biz, Office Depot and Staples. The rest of GCs on that list are more recent.

Ah, then maybe you can clear up a question I have... are gift cards for Walmart Business valid at the store for any random purchase?

Message 13 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Yes. I don’t know if they’re different from the regular Walmart GCs but I just told the cashier I wanted to use a GC.

The only thing you may have to be careful with is using GCs on Walmart online. They like to cancel orders for whatever reason. Maybe it happened to me because I was using $200 GCs, but they canceled my orders a few times. After the third cancellation, I contacted customer service and they told me my account had been flagged by their system and all future purchases would continue to get canceled. They had to clear something on their end and made me wait like 2 or 3 days before I could order online again.
I ended up using my GC in the store because I didn’t feel like waiting or dealing with the nonsense anymore. Eventually it all got sorted out and back to normal. I just don’t use GCs online anymore to avoid the possible headaches since I buy a lot for business online, and can’t really afford to get my account suspended.
Message 14 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:
Yes. I don’t know if they’re different from the regular Walmart GCs but I just told the cashier I wanted to use a GC.

The only thing you may have to be careful with is using GCs on Walmart online. They like to cancel orders for whatever reason. Maybe it happened to me because I was using $200 GCs, but they canceled my orders a few times. After the third cancellation, I contacted customer service and they told me my account had been flagged by their system and all future purchases would continue to get canceled. They had to clear something on their end and made me wait like 2 or 3 days before I could order online again.
I ended up using my GC in the store because I didn’t feel like waiting or dealing with the nonsense anymore. Eventually it all got sorted out and back to normal. I just don’t use GCs online anymore to avoid the possible headaches since I buy a lot for business online, and can’t really afford to get my account suspended.

This is great to know, and I suspect the gift cards offered by Fluz for "Walmart Grocery" are the same as well.  I'll buy a small one (WM Grocery) to see how the MCC flows for BBVA.

I learned a while back to avoid gift cards with online orders for the reason you mention... Macy's is bad about that as well.  Even worse, Macy's would cancel the order *after* processing the gift card, so the customer has to proactively call them to ask to be mailed a gift card for the purchase amount.

For Walmart I load the gift card(s) into Walmart Pay, so it's easy-peasy to use them at the register (even multiples) without having to have a discussion, LOL. 

Message 15 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I went ahead and bought a card for "Walmart Grocery" and I can confirm it's the same as a 'regular' WM gift card... I was able to load it into Walmart Pay successfully. Smiley Happy

Also, the authorization for the card for WM Grocery shows up as "FLUZ FRESH LLC," which is different from the regular WM gift card.  I suspect this is because the MCC is (probably) different.

Now the only question is if the MCC will be passed through Paypal on to the issuer.  If so, that will be a total of 5% back for Walmart (using Paypal Key with BBVA Clear points), and if not then I'll give it a try without using the Paypal Key, which would still be an additional 1%.  Another angle... use with PP Key, but with the USAA Limitless since the MCC doesn't matter.  That would still be (total) 4.5%, which isn't too shabby.

I've never been so curious for a charge to post!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

It’s very interesting how Fluz runs its business trying to accommodate buyers so purchases code for their specific credit cards. They must have different businesses and allocate their GCs by grouping them for the specific MCC.

When they added Apple Pay as a payment method, I was very tempted to use my AR but I chickened out because USB isn’t very fond of GC purchases.
I worked too hard to grow that card and didn’t want to risk losing it 😅

With Walmart and Amazon, I haven’t really used Fluz much because I can just use the store cards for 5%. I’m still in the first year with my Walmart CC, so Walmart Pay in store still counts as 5%. I’ll be more inclined to buy Fluz GCs after the year is up.
I’d normally value 5 URs from Ink more than 5% cash back, but since I’m not traveling, it’s all the same nowadays. It also hurts less not having to cash out URs 😂
Message 17 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:
It’s very interesting how Fluz runs its business trying to accommodate buyers so purchases code for their specific credit cards. They must have different businesses and allocate their GCs by grouping them for the specific MCC.

When they added Apple Pay as a payment method, I was very tempted to use my AR but I chickened out because USB isn’t very fond of GC purchases.

With Walmart and Amazon, I haven’t really used Fluz much because I can just use the store cards for 5%. I’m still in the first year with my Walmart CC, so Walmart Pay in store still counts as 5%. I’ll be more inclined to buy Fluz GCs after the year is up.
I’d normally value 5 URs from Ink more than 5% cash back, but since I’m not traveling, it’s all the same nowadays. It also hurts less not having to cash out URs 😂

I might be reading too much into things, but it does seem like they know who their customers are, LOL. Smiley Very Happy

I'm with you on not using the AR for Fluz... it would be perfect (effective 4.5% off any GC when using Google Pay) but like you I worked too hard to get it and it's working too well for me to poke that bear, LOL.

If I had the Walmart credit card I would be less pumped over Fluz/Walmart, but I don't and since it's now Capital One I probably won't be getting it any time soon.  Walmart is a non-trivial amount of spend for me, and back when I could pay with the AR using Samsung Pay I was a happy camper, but of course that ship has sailed. 

Message 18 of 25
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I might be reading too much into things, but it does seem like they know who their customers are, LOL. Smiley Very Happy

I'm with you on not using the AR for Fluz... it would be perfect (effective 4.5% off any GC when using Google Pay) but like you I worked too hard to get it and it's working too well for me to poke that bear, LOL.

If I had the Walmart credit card I would be less pumped over Fluz/Walmart, but I don't and since it's now Capital One I probably won't be getting it any time soon.  Walmart is a non-trivial amount of spend for me, and back when I could pay with the AR using Samsung Pay I was a happy camper, but of course that ship has sailed. 

Without trying to derail the original theme of this post, I was at Walmart a couple of days ago and used my AR with Samsung Pay. The cashier said it wouldn't work anymore, but I'm just as stubborn as it gets, so I tried anyway. Well, it went through Smiley Very Happy and cashier was pretty surprised. I had to make several purchases so I went for it again. Second time it failed, haha. "Payment method not allowed" or something along those lines. I know they've updated their terminals because it used to work every time. Now it's really hit or miss. Sometimes I get lucky. And I always make my purchases at the same terminal.

Walmart Pay doesn't like repeat purchases so it usually declines after 2 transactions. I don't have time to call Cap One while in the store, so I have to go in with backup plans. Smiley LOL

Message 19 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

As promised I'm circling back to provide data points on how my two Fluz charges eventually posted to my BBVA ClearPoints Visa. 

Spoiler alert:  I was pleasantly surprised. Smiley Happy

Screenshot_20210210-221037_BBVA United States.jpg

The charge on February 7 (at the bottom) was for a 'regular' Walmart gift card.  While the ClearPoints Visa does code Walmart as grocery, I didn't expect a Fluz GC to trigger the grocery category.

The charge on February 9 (at the top) was for a Walmart Grocery gift card, which the Fluz support site says would code as grocery.  Since I was looping the purchase through the Paypal Key (debit MasterCard) I didn't know if the original MCC would make the journey all the way to BBVA but apparently it did, since it triggered the ClearPoints grocery multiplier. Smiley Very Happy

So, for Walmart Grocery that's 3% with the ClearPoints Visa and 2% with Fluz (via Paypal Key debit MasterCard) for a total of 5%... not too shabby for someone like myself who frequents Walmart.  I still prefer loading up on plasic gift cards at Sam's Club when Freedom and Discover have their warehouse quarters (and using the Paypal Key in-app during Paypal quarters) but this will be useful nonetheless. 

Now that I know the correct MCC is passed through to the bank (or at least can be, and at this time) I look forward to seeing what other interesting scenarios might be found. Smiley Happy

For those who can't get Fluz to recognize their Paypal Key as debit, here's the BIN for my Key (virtual card): 520593.  I've had the same Key account number since it was first available to me so possibly the BIN they assign for the Key has changed. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.