Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying with best credit card?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Flying with best credit card?

One of the many perks of the MR-earning $550 Amex Platinum is access to Plaza Premium lounges, several of which are at YYZ and YVR. And no foreign transaction fee (though acceptance can be a bit lower).

Also, I've not been to them or read anything about the quality of those lounges.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Whichever airlines you fly, get signed up for those frequent flyer programs to at least gather the miles. Seems like Air Canada Aeroplan would be in the mix.

True, but it's going to be a lot less about accumulating miles than it is about acquiring status and the related perks. 

Depending upon the airline and/or metal, taking into account the OPs profile including derogs the best long term option may or may not be to get an airline-specific card vs a more generic travel card.

BTW Aeroplan is slated to be discontinued next year and replaced with an entirely new program. It could be the better bet for example would be to align with UA and book code shares on AC metal to accumulate Mileage Plus miles in conjunction with a Chase UR or UA miles card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 12 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Does United charge non-elites that $75 close-in award fee on AC metal? That fee was why I got an Aeroplan account in the first place.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can use the Disco card and get the premium seats and I'll get perks and get more cashback at the end of year. They run about $248 one way from YYZ to YVR on Air Canada.

I want Amex card but I am not ready because I just cleaned my credit. Cap One is 5 months old and I just graduated and just got the QS card. I never had charge offs.

I rather to use YYZ to YVR because they run as low as $190 to $250 and if I fly from BUF, the fare goes up about $400. So that is why I rather use YYZ, I can use Megabus (About $7 to $11 one way) then go to YYZ then fly out to YVR.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Any advice is appreicated!"
Stop dating someone so far away--there's plenty of quality maple syrup back in 'murica! Smiley Very Happy

Alright, jokes aside....
Safe to assume you don't need a card to provide you with hotel perks & points for hotel stays, as you'll be at her place when visiting, right?

Are you avoiding amex because you have bad history with them, or just assuming your scores may be too low? Your scores might land you a gold card, which gives 3x points for flights (and lots of points for food related expenses). If the credits work for you, the AF becomes near nothing.

Having a visa and/or MasterCard out of the States is advisable--preferably one with 0% ftf. The chase shappire reserve fits that bill and may be a great match for you overall. Dining & travel points earned, 0% ftf, not the worst AF, and a visa. You might not get approved for it, though.

I noticed a card offer from Citizen's Bank in my mail box the other day. It's a MasterCard, no AF, 0% ftf, and earns a flat 1.8% cash back on purchases. May be a card worth getting/using while out of country, if you end up using a disco/amex card to handle you flights.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.