Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow-on to CU CC question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow-on to CU CC question

Ok, so now that I know my $15K treasure is FICO's trash...

Is it ALSO true that once we get a solid CC from one company, other great offers tend to start falling from the sky? If so, I'm thinking maybe we have no choice but to wait a few months and app for a "national" (my mouth feels dirty just saying it...) CC to make FICO happier?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: Follow-on to CU CC question

Possibly if you aren't "app happy".  In my experience, the more you app the less offers you'll have coming in.  IMO
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are pretty app-shy. This NFCU was this first CC I've had since 2001, and my husband's first since 2002. The old cards we did have were closed long ago.

We won't apply until we're positive we can get approved... the "Pre-Approved!***" offers really have never fooled us, we might have been dumb with medical collections in the past but stayed fairly smart w/ CC offers Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ivyalmighty wrote:
Ok, so now that I know my $15K treasure is FICO's trash...

Is it ALSO true that once we get a solid CC from one company, other great offers tend to start falling from the sky? If so, I'm thinking maybe we have no choice but to wait a few months and app for a "national" (my mouth feels dirty just saying it...) CC to make FICO happier?

I did reply to your earlier thread. Your 15K CU card is hardly hurting you. Just so you know, after I resurrected from the ugly credit toilet bowl, I had only one CC and it was a Visa from an obscure regional bank and my scores didn't suffer. My scores were 715-750. You're talking about a few points within the the amount that accounts for 10% credit mix.
Message 4 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Stupid me, you said treasure...so you don't have this card. To answer your other question, yes offers would start coming.
Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

After my recent app frenzy, I'm getting 5 offers a week. Seriously. And my scores are much worse than before (see below.) They're all just monkey-see, monkey-do.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling, I was a good little lemming and opted out a month and a half ago. Does this mean we won't get those offers anymore??
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Hauling, I was a good little lemming and opted out a month and a half ago. Does this mean we won't get those offers anymore??

Well, supposedly, although some seem to trickle through.

Opting-out doesn't stop current creditors from sending junk, although that's rarely an issue with CU's. I opted out for 5-6 months to reduce the temptations while I was waiting, waiting...

BTW, I should have mentioned above that before my app-o-rama, I was getting offers from companies I'd only heard of here on the forums, and everything I'd heard was bad. Suddenly, I'm getting much classier junk! Although definitely the lower tiers of the better companies.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.