cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For CCs do you use just your income or household?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For CCs do you use just your income or household?

I know there isn't really any "right" or "wrong" answer to this question, rather just an opinion or personal preference.  Whn you disclose "income" with a creditor, be it on an application, for a CLI, etc. do you use just your own income or do you include your significant other?  I think we all know that most creditors allow you to include your significant other, assuming that income could be verified if need be, but how many actually include it?  For those that do, why?  For those that don't, why?  I'm just interested in hearing the different perspectives on this.

I personally only use my own income.  I have considered adding my girlfriend's income in the past, but never have.  Her income is only about 1/3 of mine, so it wouldn't significantly change things.  But, since it isn't significant, I've also thought about including hers.  There can definitely be arguments made for both opinions on this, so I look forward to hearing them Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: For CCs do you use just your income or household?

I use both for the simple fact that all our finances are combined, bills and income. We've also been married for 21 years so that might make a difference to some people
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started to include me and my wifes income (assuming it's allowed on whatever I'm applying to) once we got married. Why? Because our money goes into the same bucket. Our direct deposits are into our own personal checking accounts, but we then transfer all the money to the joint checking so we both have access to pretty much all of each others income. Also, we push towards 6 digit income when combined. I feel that has a major influence on some decisions as well as credit limits, abiltity to pay back, etc.

On top of that, we are Authorized Users on a good majority of each others cards (joint for Discover) so thats another reason as well.

Message 3 of 37
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started to include me and my wifes income (assuming it's allowed on whatever I'm applying to) once we got married. Why? Because our money goes into the same bucket. Our direct deposits are into our own personal checking accounts, but we then transfer all the money to the joint checking so we both have access to pretty much all of each others income. Also, we push towards 6 digit income when combined. I feel that has a major influence on some decisions as well as credit limits, abiltity to pay back, etc.

On top of that, we are Authorized Users on a good majority of each others cards (joint for Discover) so thats another reason as well.

Same here. I had the option to do individual or household income and I elected to do household. Even though we have separate checking accounts, we have joint savings and I'm in authorized user on one of her cards. So, I figured it won't hurt to do that.

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 4 of 37
iced
Valued Contributor

Individual. My wife and I have no joint accounts nor are we an AU on any of the other's cards.
Message 5 of 37
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Own, cant include dogs can I Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Household. I feel it helps to qualify me.
Message 7 of 37
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Household. My wife and i have a joint checking account and file taxes jointly. Before we were married I only used individual.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are making me jealous. Time to find a wife to double up on income for larger SLs!
Message 9 of 37
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

@wanderingbuilder mine and hubby's SL's aren't that big. Lol.
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.