cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For CCs do you use just your income or household?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: For CCs do you use just your income or household?

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Own, cant include dogs can I Smiley Wink

I don't know about your dog, but my dog's income is very small indeed! Now, I do wish I could claim her as a tax exemption, but that's another thread...Smiley LOL

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use husband's and mine. We both pay the bills, we have it laid out who pays what, but it's not set in stone. We don't have any joint bank accounts, but we do file taxes jointly. I use both because his income is available to me for paying bills, and if I couldn't pay my CC bills for some reason, he would. And I do think the combined income helps with approvals and CLIs.

Message 32 of 37
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I am inclined to agree with this view of how reasonably having access to household income (which likely also agrees with the law and how credit card companies given some stretch go about it). It can be added that my background is different as DW and I are married with the same last name, live at the same address in a community property state, file taxes jointly and have a joint mortgage as well as a joint checking account (even a joint credit card, and yet FICO 08 utilization does not consider our AU cards from each other!). And not to forget, how can credit card companies determine whether you have reasonable access to your household income until they can reasonably identify you whether initially applying for your card or continuously keeping your online profile up-to-date or contacting customer service?

Message 33 of 37
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 34 of 37
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I use Household unless it's disallowed.
All money is in the same pot and I use to pay all.
EECU doesn't allow it unless a joint app
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

While not the end of the world (a fairly high threshold for cc stuff...) the problem comes with the flexibility of the issuer demanding documentation.  In a FR, Amex is going to really want the tax return of the primary card holder, and may not be willing to access the one of the unmarried partner, so at least for them, I might not want to include it, especially if it was a significant proportion of the claimed income.

Are you just using Amex as an example here or do you mean specifically with Amex from what you've encountered?  I was just on the Amex site and don't see anything specific under the income area that states if it should be only your own income, household income,etc. like you see under the terms of many other creditors.  Maybe I'm just missing it.  I did just read the Amex income FAQ though and while slightly off topic I did find this interesting:

Q:  If my income has gone down, will this affect my account?
A:  No, a lower income wouldn’t lower your credit limit or otherwise change the terms for your account.

Does this make sense to anyone?  I would find it hard to believe that a major income decrease wouldn't impact account terms.  Say someone lost their job making $100k/year and scooped up a part time job making $25k/year and changed their income on their Amex account from $100k to $25k.  According to the FAQ, no AA would be taken.  However, if this individual possessed say two high limit CCs with Amex, I don't know $50k and $40k (based on $100k income at the time) doesn't it seem odd that they wouldn't be a bit worried should that person's declared income drop to $25k?  Am I over thinking this?

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to try this going forward and see if it will help me a few CLI

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.